Thread: Coming out

Coming out

I have been going to a family doctor for several years now. She has been treating me for depression. I recently came out to her, saying that I don't feel that I had been completely honest with her about the source of my depression. She was very understanding, asked several questions, and overall, it went extremely well. I have noticed, every single time i share this information with somebody, i make a bigger deal out of it than they do. It gets easier each time I share this side of me. So I ask, who have you come out to? Most of my closest friends know, as well as my wife and now family doctor as well. My parents know, but i have never come out to them.

I came out to my mum a few years ago, felt like such a weight off my shoulders. And to top it off she was amazing about it, didn't even flicker an eye lid. She offered to help me with make up and get anything that I needed.
    At the end of the day, is it really such a bad thing, all we are doing is dressing up. I'm sure she would have much rather me said that then say I was a drug addict or something X

My mom, wife both know and couldn't b more loving and supportive. Carrying something around regardless of what it is will become heavy
    the only limit that u set, is the one u set yourself.

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    The movie which the greatest number of people say is their favourite is Shawshank Redemption. It's his patience and acceptance in the face of apparent hopelessness, his refusal to quit. Eventually, against incredible odds, he crawls out into the light and finds his freedom. It's a rebirth, and somehow, despite never having been inside a prison, we relate.

Is this what you mean Dee?

Hugs, Nikki
    I used to have a short attention spa

mum, wife, daughters, five work colleagues/clients, so far no big deal
    i think it could have been depression before CD for me, maybe.

Nikki, I never thought of Shawshanke Redemption in that way, but that is a good analogy. Personally, I can relate to Dexter rather well too. He has a "dark secret" that he cannot share, is compelled to act on his impulses, and has to hide his stash when not using it. Its pretty twisted that I can relate to a serial killer. I keep my clothing in a duffle bag that I call my Dexter bag lol!

A relative of mine pointed out that what others think of you is none of your business. It's also not their life so they generally don't feel pressure as much as you do.

Platinum Member
    I have come out to a core of family, friends, neighbors and business associates. In each case, the decision to come out has reflected an assessment of the "need to know". I don't want my coming out to be an exploitation of these people, but rather a recognition that either I tell them in a controlled manner, or they find out though some other, less constructive channel. Needless to say, a lot of people do not know, or as your parents, have learned through other routes. I don't fear being outed and I'm not ashamed in any respect for who I am. I just want to have a measure of control over who, when and how I come out. Its not always so easy to manage.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Just in the last few weeks I have come out to two female friends. One is many miles away and the other is my closest friend and business partner. Both of them have been so very accepting and encouraging. Like it's no big deal at all. In fact both have said that they are very proud of me.

Its was only a few short months that my wife found out...all I can say now in hindsight is I should of come out earlier....Take care all...Jess

Daniella Argento
    I too wish I had told my wife sooner, BUT I am also aware that if I had, things may not have gone as well as they did.
    We are all ever changing and either one of us may not have been as ready for the big reveal as we were when I chose to do it.
    On the one hand I regret the wasted time and the secrecy... On the other I realise that things happen when and how they happen as a result of a whole series of events leading up to that time.
    Some people will be cool with the information others will not... It depends on a whole range of factors but ultimately says more about the person receiving the information than the person delivering it.

Gone to live my life
    Hi Dee,

I have come out to pretty much everyone around me including work. I did so on my own terms rather than having the information slowly leaked through the rumour mill. I knew this was not going away and the more I explored Isha the greater to need to be out and about I everyday life. However, it was a decision I did not take lightly, weighed many pros and cons and finally arrived at a place where I was prepared for all the potential pitfalls. Do I feel better now? Yes and not so much that I told people but more so that I controlled the release of this information and can now go on with my life without worrying about who knows or doesn't.

Hugs

Isha

I made the conscious decision to confess all to my then girlfriend many years ago and she was TOTALLY OK with it all, so I asked her to marry me there and then! and we now have many years of marriage under our belts. Last year I decided to come out to my closest friends and without exception, I have had an incredibly positive experience. I KNOW that it won't be the same for everyone, but remember: our friends are essentially a reflection of ourselves if you know what I mean? ... none of my friends are morons! if they were - they wouldn't be my friends.
    I DO choose to not be openly out though, as I worry about my kids getting teased at school. I am sometimes very tempted to out myself though! ... I seem to feel a bit more militant as I get older. This is me - take it or leave it! ... I'll let you all know!

D x

Silver Member
    Just joined after a long time. Only have told my wife and still need to work that conversation. I once told a close friend a little bit about trying on panties, but it was like no big deal and stopped there. Also went dressed for Halloween once about 20 years ago. Friends and family saw me and we joked about it. Maybe a missed opportunity? No, we were expecting our first. No need to rock the boat at the time.