Thread: What to do, what to do

What to do, what to do

My transition has been proceeding apace; no rush, taking things as they come. I’ve been living as a woman pretty much 24/7 for the last couple of years. My wife is supportive; we’ve been making retirement plans so that we can relocate and move on to different careers by 2020.

I’ve been self-employed for more than the last decade. Prior to that I had a very high profile in the technology world and went off on my own, trading on that profile and name recognition to establish myself as my own business. For the last few years my income has been somewhat irregular as the industry has changed, though even at its worse, more than adequate. The biggest problem has been the ACA, which has more than quintupled my health insurance costs, to the point where I am now paying close to $20K per year. This has put a crimp in our plans, as that I money that would have otherwise gone into savings and investments.

Last week, out of the blue, I was offered a very high-profile job in the industry where I built my reputation. The problem is my transitioning isn’t general knowledge. Not that I have hidden it, but just that I didn’t publicize it. And that complicates the issue, because a large part of the reason for the job offer (and its rather significant compensation) is because of who I am known as, not who I am living as.

The new job would require much more public interaction and I am being asked to take the job and handle that interaction as who they knew me as. Everyone who has talked to me has talked to that point; that the offer is based on my name and reputation from the past (I’ve kept a lower profile, but the name and image is still active in the industry).

It took me a long time to get to this point with myself, but I know that if necessary I could “pass” as my previous self. It was never part of my plans, but combined with their providing medical benefits, the additional income would be close to $100k per year. Being able to put that much aside for the next few years would mean more money to retire on, more money for potential surgeries which have been discussed (for example, the out of pocket cost of the BA I was planning on for the end of 2015), and an overall better standard of living.

I feel very torn at giving up (or delaying) this path that took me so long to find, but realize that much of the hard work has already been done, and that the detour can make our future life better. I haven’t made a decision yet, and will talk it out with my therapist at my regular appointment later this week; my wife is good with any choice I make. But I admit that having to go backwards isn’t appealing (my wife has pointed out how much a new wardrobe will cost, among other things), but when balanced against better financial security, I find the option hard to ignore.

Mainly just babbling here; not a lot people I can talk to about this in the real world.
    Last edited by Kali; 02-03-2015 at 04:09 PM.

Thats a Tough one ,, You only live once ? Maybe you should just put yourself first ? Your wife doesn't care ,, Just saying ! That's a whole lotta backing up ?

What Me Worry
    Not an easy choice maybe just pretend you are cross dressing when you go to work.
    To Dream The Impossible Dream.
    Full Time 10/1/2012

Have you been self destructive in the past such as abusing alcohol or drugs because of GD or had problems with depression and or anxiety ?

Transitioning confirms what you always knew was true but could not prove and the more it confirms the deeper you want to go into it until you reach that point of complete comfirmation. For me it was as powerful as a spiritual enlightenment and had many of the same parallels and experiences.

If you have been deeply and intensely affected by transitioning that may speak to the pain you were in "before transitioning".

For me transitioning was an escape out of nothingness from it being impossible to live so contrary to who I actually am.

In many ways I appeared very normal and even happy but I was trapped in an existential crisis that could not be transcended, not because I feared or grieved for my eventual death, but because I was living but not able to be "born"

I was alive but I could not enter into life and experience all the things others take for granted.

Look at the psychological price you paid in the past for not transitioning. It is different from person to person and just as some talk of the middle path you may be able to wait or slow things down.

GD seems to have different levels of severity from person to person.

It wounds anyone experiencing it but for some they are crippled by it.

Measure how dangerous it could be to you if you stop or slow down transitioning based on how dangerous it was to you in the past. I would be concerned about depression.
    The Psychology of Conformity
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARGczzoPASo

Mars brain, Venus brain: John Gray at TEDxBend
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuM7ZS7nodk

I don't know much about it, but I do know that few choices or decisions we make in life are "forever". Consider giving it a try for a year. If that works out, consider a one year extension. If not, the $100K will be quite helpful.

Best wishes
    MsVal

I am with Msval
    I would have a 2-5 year plan
    Who's to say you can't transition after a couple of years with the company or can you get fired for that in your country?
    I am semi retired at 50 so understand the need for financial security going forward
    This I feel is a balance between family and your well being Because your wife is so supportive maybe this is a way of showing her you are too
    Just my 2 cents worth

Kiwi

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Here's an idea way out of left feild, Kali. Have considered telling them that you'll take the position.

However, when u begin it,it will be as Kali? I understand the down side of that. But, just imagine the upside if they consider it? After all, some mite feel having a trans in their company at a high level to be advantagious!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

THEY are asking YOU,so you are in a position to tell them of your inner conflict[living true to yourself] and your social transition in progress. If they want you bad enough,perhaps you can meet in the middle and build into the deal that your transition will continue to progress. Give them something to think over..Nothing ventured,nothing gained.

Doc we live in the real world. So no, that's not a good idea.

If Kali wants to transition and start work as herself, it needs to be disclosed right from the start. It's interesting as a business matter to focus on the fact that they have asked you to come.
    Have they made you a formal offer?? In writing?
    If so its an opportunity. If you tell them you are transsexual and they withdraw the offer you could make your $100k sitting in a chair in a stroke of the pen.

Kali you have to consider your nature and do it soon. Are you a woman? If so, taking this job as a man could easily set off all kinds of triggers. Why have you not transitioned? you have support, you work at home, why not transition?
    How have you experienced your gender problems? How "bad" have you felt and how much better have you felt recently. I have to be honest and say "living as a woman pretty much 24/7" is a pretty broad statement. When have you not "lived as a woman" and how did you feel about it...thats what you might consider as you try to make this decision.

It seems to me that based only your post you just take the job and make the money. You have alot of time, your are trading some of it for alot of money.
    You have been living a woman's lifestyle, not a woman's life.
    You can live pretty much 24/7 except for work, what the difference? Other than $100,000

Thanks for the feedback

Like MsVal, my inclination seems to be to give it a shot; even my wife has pointed out that if it makes me too unhappy, I can exit gracefully after a few months. I’m 57, so the longer I could stay, the better for my retirement, but it wouldn’t be longer than 5 years. And it has the additional advantage of giving my profile a push which would allow me to retire and have a better shot at consulting and freelance work (I’m not a retire and just relax kind of person).

Kelly brought up my major concerns, but I’m in a much better place than I was 15 years ago. I have a lot of support and understanding in my life, and while I think there would be some depression I believe it would be offset by the work; I really like what I do and getting back in the fray might be quite enjoyable, with the codicil as previous. If I don’t enjoy myself, I wouldn’t stay very long, regardless of the gender issues. I’ve never been externally self-destructive; no drugs, no alcohol, just lived each day looking for the bright spots to help me out with my internal misery. I don’t think I would be going back to that.

Stacey – I am putting myself first, for really the first time in my life. My wife’s support has really been key to that; she married me a few years go with the full disclosure of all of this.

As far as the suggestions to let them know up front and continue the public transition, I think that would be the equivalent of turning down the position. Not that the company is transphobic (as far as I know), but rather they are looking for a high(ish) profile industry name that brings additional cachet to their business, not to take a stand on trans issues, at least not at this point. That doesn’t rule out returning to my personal path at some point in the future while retaining the position; I would know better the possibilities of that after working with them for a bit.

I was supposed to have a conversation with a few of their C-level folks yesterday, but they asked if I could reschedule to tomorrow. At this point I think I will do more listening than talking

Based on what was described in the original post, it was not out of the question,nor unrealistic,what Doc or myself suggested. Compromises are met every day in hiring..A social transition is already underway and if her "known name" is so important,she can keep using it. Some people are bold enough to seek what they want and it might be possible in this case.
    Last edited by Rianna Humble; 02-05-2015 at 12:06 AM. Reason: It was not difficult to avoid the unnecessary quote

Silver Member
    So, you're on the transition 1 yard line. You have a bit of time ... it's only the second down. Why not take a chance? What could possibly go wrong?
    Lea

The high tech industry is one where many companies have transition policies and even insurance to cover the costs. I would not turn down a company offer without discovering just what those policies are. You could be one more shining light for the rest us by being willing to take this publicly.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain