Thread: Are you more aware?

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar

Are you more aware?

I'm wondering if any of you feel this way. As I've had a lifetime of, until recently, clandestine crossdressing, my analytical sensory skills seem to be more sharply honed than the average person. I'm just uber aware of my surroundings at all times. And I have a nearly photographic memory, sometimes. I often wonder if having to be undercover girl all these years has actually developed these skills. Do any of you feel this way?
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

YES! Even though my analytical sensory skills have slipped over the recent yrs, I can still see around the corner, so to speak. Im always aware of whats going on around me. Seems like dressing always made me aware of what others were doing, whos car is that parked down the road, etc etc. Having to hide most of my life has sharpened a lot of skills. Good point Carla!

analytical sensory skills-- thems big words fo me!! lol

Years of hiding and wearing the clothing of my mom and then my wife kept my awareness sharp. Putting everything back EXACTLY where it was, nothing out of place. Add to that a touch of OCD and voila...intense awareness of my surroundings at all times. Couple that with driving for a living and dealing with all the %(&&^( on the road, well, you get the picture.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Through the years of hunting, military, driving and clandestine dressing my situation awareness is extremely sharp. The only time I let my guard down is if I am just sitting at home with my wife on a quiet night since I am in my safe zone.

There are no safe zones Vicky! That's how they get you!!!!

I'm the same way Carla. Very aware of my surroundings, very observant when it comes to people around me, where they are, where they are heading and if they for any reason "break the pattern".

Spent a lot of time in situations where I had to depend on such skills but I am not sure what cane first, the skill or the training?

Some of it might have been honed by my dressing nature and the need to see fine details that could give me away. Put things back exactly as found, no heel marks in the floor or carpet, no hair or makeup traces in the bathroom etc etc.

Sometimes it almost feel like being ... Paranoid!

- Suzie

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    No. I'm 70 and nearly all my faculties r beginning to fail. I can't say I've ever been a very aware person my entire life.

In fact, I believe my unawareness actually helps me go out dressed! Since I'm pretty sensitive about what other folks think of me. As a men, I'm used to no one noticing me. So, the more attention I get as a man in a dress, the less I like it!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

You are right, I know from experience the added awareness is a must from day one. And it carries over into your everyday life, which is a positive. I became so much more alert to anything that may compromise my appearance to the public and draw attention as well as details that are imperative to restore or maintain while dressed. It is a big part of the "rush" I get every time. Without this heightened sense I am sure I would have been or ill be recognized some where down the line. It is this interactive sensation that fuels part of my need to dress.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Fran
    It's worth something just being around to Fuss!

I think I have honed my sensory skills over the years as I am well aware of what is around me.

One thing I don't look for is other sisters.
    If I "think" I see one it is a quick analysis and move on.

Life is too short and fast to dwell on much these days.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

One thing being a professional driver teaches you is being aware of everything around you. You don't just look close you look as far ahead as you can. It teaches you situation awareness. Being a cross dresser long before I became a driver, it was something I already knew quite a bit about.

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    I'm with Sherry on this one. I'm neither the man, or the woman for that matter, that I used to be. When I'm out, it is usually with friends so I'm pretty relaxed and having fun. I manage to stay alert for trouble, but really no more than I would in drab. I've always picked my venues and avoided being prey pretty successfully. Not a big deal.

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    No. I have a poor memory and any little awareness I have is more than offset by a continuing tendency to say and do stupid things. Every decade I look back and think, well- I won't make any more mistakes like that. If I make another decade I'll get back to you on my progress
    I used to have a short attention spa

I developed a high level of situational awareness because throughout my childhood, I was beaten by numerous other kids, and also knew that lots of people in the town knew my dad so no matter where I went, it was likely that someone noticed where I was, when I was there, and what I was doing. Perhaps my attention t detail about what clothes I used to crossdress, and being oh so careful not to leave anything laying around out of place was heightened by crossdressing.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    When I first started nearly fully crossdressing in my early teens by borrowing my mother's things I wasn't very good at covering my tracks. Getting caught fixed that pretty quickly. I did begin to become lax again a few years later, but a close call or two brought my skills back to where they needed to be. Since then I've been terribly consistent in keeping track of what I'm doing, where things belong and who is around. It turns out that my primary concern remains family, so once I'm out of the house where they won't find me, I'm much more relaxed. I'm still cautious and try to do my best, but at that point many of the issues are moot.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Not sure, I don't think I'm aware of everything going on around me. Though when I was dressing as a teen, I could identify everyone in my family by listening to them walk up the stairs!

Aspiring Member
    I'mn certainly aware of what other women are wearing and what they are doing with make up.

Carla, we are on the same page. I seem to be in a "what if" type mode all the time. What if I do this or don't do that, who will notice type mind set.

I think that fear of being caught does cause some heightened awareness. Met a cross dresser who told me she could "clear a room in under a minute".
    I think she was referring to the acquired skill of putting all of the clothing,makeup etc. out of sight in short order.
    I am reminded of those nature films that show the herd animals constantly looking, listening and sniffing for any signs of nearby predators.

What an interesting thought. I'm whirling with so many senses of levels and kinds of awareness.
    So, to begin with: awareness for being caught - not really at all, cos I don't even worry if someone does, but my SO is worried, and so I do watch out, for example yesterday I was at the top of our garden about 150 feet up/away from the road, with a friend, dressed, and I was acutely aware of the man in the road, even though there's no way I could have been recognised - I think!

I'm aware who is walking up the stairs, along the pavement/sidewalk by their footsteps yes.

I feel the feelings going on for anyone in a room and beyond, even from posts in this forum, I know when someone is thinking of me, and can calibrate who quite accurately, and what they're feeling.

Because of escaping from bullies at school, I was hyper aware of getting out of trouble, and used to be able to run fast, sometimes needed. Being too old and slow now, I think I simply avoid trouble by not even going "there".

Since CD, I've added awareness of dress-sense - something i'd been told i was woefully missing. I'm actually beginning to colour coordinate. But then my SO is calling me a "bird of paradise", cos I just love the bright colours, so no camouflaging for me indoors, just drab when out.

I'm not that aware of social faux pas, still making them!

I'm always listening for someone to walk up the stairs or in the hallway because I don't want them to walk in on me when CDing, Therefor I can pretty much relate to what CONSUELO said about "the herd animals constantly looking, listening and sniffing for any signs of nearby predators"