Thread: One step closer...

One step closer...

So, I've been to an Endocrinologist because my primary learned my estrogen was too high. I am not on any supplements right now and she has ruled out any medical issues that can cause problems in the future. We discussed my transgender status and that if I have to take hormones, I want to correct to the feminine not masculine. This is something I have been thinking of for a long time. She will proceed as we determine is best after I see a therapist to make sure I am not doing this for the wrong reasons and I am ready for this next step in my journey of life.

What I am wondering is; has anyone started HRT with an already elevated estrogen level? If so, how did it go? The Endocrinologist has no issues on the medical side with going forward. I guess I am just curious if anyone has any experience with this what I may be in for.
    I know enough to know I don't know enough.

Peace

This is a tough question because it requires knowing the differential diagnosis in a male for estrogen secreting lesions. It also means that any sources of estrogen in the diet have been considered, soy products being the more common culprit. Part of the metabolic pathway for all hormones in both sexes is through the liver, so liver function studies need to be checked. Because hormone levels are also affected by circadian rhythms, one would need the different blood samples to make sure things were really elevated. Those values should be compared to any prior levels. Lastly, just how elevated is elevated? Remember that norms for lab values are based on population distribution so the value for you may actually be normal for you. If all the above have been cleared, then maybe you just have a head start for free.
    Last edited by Laura912; 02-07-2015 at 12:29 PM.

My estrogen levels were low and now they are getting up there after a year and a half on estrogen. I'm Glad that you are going to see a therapist before starting HRT. I hope there is a therapist that knows Trans issues you can see. Congratulation on moving forward!
    "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom" Anais Nin.

Live, Laugh, and Love Yourself!

Laura, they took so much blood and did so many test over the last several months to double check and clear all the things you mentioned and then some. I believe it's always been high and the Drs are starting to agree with me. So, I guess it's the free head start.

Janelle, the therapist I'm going to (next Friday) specializes in Transgender issues.

Thanks, ladies.
    I know enough to know I don't know enough.

Peace

I believe that I had a little bit of a head start because after a month and a half of taking Spiro and Finasteride my doc told me to quit taking fin because my testosterone levels were in the dangerous zone. So, I had to quit taking it.

It has been known to start HRT when you have elevated levels of estrogen

However it will normally take longer to get you started, as the docs like to establish where your baseline levels are.

It will probably mean more tests before starting if your results are higher than expected.
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations