Thread: LGBT Veterans Welcome Here

LGBT Veterans Welcome Here

I had my six month checkup at my local VA medical center today, had to drop my pants for the prostate finger salute, NP saw my lavender panties, never said a word, got a clean bill of health from my NP then went to Xray to have pictures taken of my left shoulder and knee. When I checked in at the Xray desk, I spotted a small sign with the title of this thread. The person at the reception desk appeared to be "L" from her appearance and mannerism. I smiled and commented that I liked the sign and gave her a big thumbs up, she returned the smile as she directed me to the waiting area. I mentioned the sigh again to the Xray tech and she said that our VA center is very LGBT friendly.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Thanks for your post , I recently applied for VA benefits and hope to start my HRT with them.
    It is nice to hear positive experencs.

OMG no the VA....I don't believe it....you actually got an appointment?
    Oh ya the sign that's pretty cool glad they're getting with the times.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I've been going to the huge VA in Long Beach, Ca. for maybe 30 years? I've never seen any sign that they welcome LGBT's. Or, that any r patients there -----.

Which doesn't mean that both aren't true there.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

My transition is being handled entirely through the VA,with the exception of any surgery. And while the West Palm Beach VAMC doesn't staff a gender specialized endo, they refer you to Miami or Orlando (via the video tele-health). I don't like the drive to Miami so I see my endo via that "Skype" system. Two years now and am quite satisfied.

Bobbi

Sherry, I know nothing about the Long Beach VA or how they operate but the one I go to is the Zablocki VA Medical Center in Milwaukee, and it's a fact that they're LGBT friendly. They treat all vets whether gay, bi, trans, or lesbian with equal respect and dignity.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

I've been to several appointments at my va dressed to wow. Lol. The va staff was very pleasant. I could hear a few snickers and comments from other vets but I guess it's to be expected. I'm a big and tall girl but there isn't really anyway to hide the big and tall man I used to go to appointments as. So I just smile and be who I am knowing I'm dressing as I want=)