Thread: On the road to HRT

Talking On the road to HRT

Today I went to my third visit to the gender therapist, and my last one! She is going to write the HRT letter and send it to the endocrinologist.

Today, 6th of February, is the first concrete step of my transition. I have not started hormones themselves, but now, except if I have any major medical issue, nothing is going to stop me. So it feels like the first day of my new life! I have been so happy the entire day, the excitement is still there, I think it will be hard to sleep from it.

The beginning of the talk with the therapist was about my coming out to my parents. This is still hard for them currently, but since they said they still love me despite the shock, I am feeling confident, they only need time. I am not going to pressure them, I will now just wait for their questions as they come, otherwise I will just continue having smalltalk about random topics as we used to. I am worried about my father, and he is having severe hypertension because of that news. I am trying to make my parents understand I am the same person, except that the external appearance will now match the inside. Based on our discussions, I think they still do not understand the difference between sex and gender yet.

After that, I talked about coming out to the human resources of my company. I got an incredible support from them, and very unexpectedly, the person listening took a printout of a PowerPoint he wrote earlier and put it right in front of me. It was called "transgender dynamics in the workplace", with a photo of the company logo outside our building. I was blown away, and the therapist too when I showed the printout. It was about 50 pages about educating the people I am working with, to make them understand what being transgender is, and how it is important to understand my motivations, and to respect my choice. The goal is to see me as a woman ultimately, rather than a "trans woman". I know the transition will take time, and people I work with will get used to it, but I don't want to rush it. I am still planning to slowly change my appearance even before HRT does visible changes to my body. I will become more androgynous, I will thin my eyebrows like a woman, make my long hair hair cut in a more feminine way, wear unisex clothing to gradually change. During that time I will also work on my manners, posture, voice (right now, my vocal cords don't like it, I have to take it easy). It is great when I get the support from human resources like that. They also told me they will help me for the name change on the green card, using the same immigration attorneys who helped getting my green card in the first place!

Towards the end of the session, I talked how I was starting to feel really stressed when going out in public places. When I see women that wear similar clothes I have, I feel like I could be in that body, I feel like I already completely belong to that group of people. But my guy appearance definitely shows I am not. And the more it goes, the more I am feeling like I don't belong to men. I feel like I have been acting all those years, just to fit in the social mold. But virility in general makes me uncomfortable. I was at a club for about 4 hours, a trance music celebrity was in town, I went to the concert. During that entire time, the girls around me made me want to be inside their body (I had a strong regret not having dressed that night, I was scared of the large number of people), I was feeling that, for several hours, I was crying, but it was inside, I had no tears (that I did not want to show), but I felt very uncomfortable. I also get more and more uncomfortable in my body, I start really hating it. I originally despised my body hair, but now it also starts to be the rest of the body. The therapist told me it was normal at that stage of the transition, that's the dysphoria talking.

At the end of the discussion, I expressed how ready I was, and how impatient I was. For the therapist, I was completely ready, and when I said I was going to be reasonable and to not rush the different steps, she was asking why. She told me I should just take it at the speed I want, and not that the others want. It is my life decision to change gender, it is one of those moments where I should follow my own emotions rather than overthinking everything.

So happy right now!
    Last edited by Karolyn; 02-08-2015 at 02:13 AM.

I felt the same way that I couldn't sleep for days. I had to take sleeping pills just to sleep.

I am so happy for you, Karolyn! I was expecting to start HRT this week myself but I ran into a medical roadblock (discussed in another thread, so I won't repeat it here). With a bit of luck, I will get around that obstacle soon enough and join you on this road we both yearn to take. I know the feelings. It's devastating inside, but you are handling it so well. I am proud of you, Karolyn, and can't wait to hear what your first experience is like, and how you are affirmed by it. Frankly, I can't wait for the same thing for me!

Ah, just a little bit longer... Hang in there with me, girl. We'll both get there.

Karen

Karolyn great news about the therapist and work. Hope your parents come around soon.

Hugs

Great news Karolyn! Now then, put on your seat belt, keep your hands and feet inside the vehicle at all times and hang on !!

Erin
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

The Mad Scientist
    Karolyn,
    That's great news..
    So excited to you.

First off: Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by Karolyn View Post
    When I see women that wear similar clothes I have, I feel like I could be in that body, I feel like I already completely belong to that group of people.
    I can strongly identify with that. But I think that longing feeling will go away. I've been on spiro for a while and present as female part-time; my acute gender dysphoria has mostly dissipated. I suspect HRT will be even more effective at calming those feelings down.

Karolyn, you may want to keep the therapist handy while starting hrt. The estrogen can cause some strange side effects, like suddenly feeling emotions, crying for what seems like no reason, being happy for no reason, and a strange mental rollercoaster ride. Specially when you weren't exactly wanting a ride! I call my therapist sometimes just to hear her voice, and like a puppy, it has a calming effect.

Anyways, congrats on the letter, and moving along on your journey. And move along at the pace you are comfortable with, emotionally, physically and financially. Remember, it's a journey, not a race. Be comfortable!

Hugs,

Leah
    Be nice; It don't cost nothing.

Dianne, if those feeling are going to calm down a bit, that will be welcome. Currently I still have some issues being in public places, I feel uncomfortable not being one of the girls already, but it seems to decrease a bit. Today I went out en femme and I had my first professional hairstyle, it gave me a lot of confidence and it seems to have calmed that feeling a lot. I did not get a single weird look in several hours, so I had a preview of what it will be. That felt really good. I will post in the gallery section tomorrow about that first hairstyle and the shopping that followed.

Leah, I have read a lot that estrogen will have that effect, and it seems it was pretty strong in your case. I expect it to happen, but I am a very emotional person in the first place, so it might be even stronger I even had 3 cases of crying at work in front of some of my coworkers (in the last 5 years). Looks like they will see that a lot more! And for this adventure being a journey, not a race, I am reaching a proper pace now. In the last few months I was trying to catch up as quickly as possible, due to many regrets to not have done it earlier. But now that I have experimented a lot (going out, makeup, hair, pedi/mani, shopping, restaurants, coming out, meeting friends en femme, etc.), I slowed down, and I start to have more time for other activities (I have plenty of hobbies I have not done for months).