Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Journey Over the Past Year

My Journey Over the Past Year

I've pretty much taken a passive role in the forums over the past year as I've come to terms with my own gender identity and where I stand regarding the gender spectrum. I've made posts in the Pictures forum and people have seen my transformation over time, but I've kept my story secluded to chat rooms, my blog and local people I've met. But I'd like to share where I'm at now and where I'm going.

In February of last year I decided I need to put a purpose to the clothing I had. I struggled a long time on reasons why I did what I did. I was worried my wife would leave me, I was worried I had to be transgender and transition to full time to get where I want to be. There was a script that I was lead to believe I had to follow -> cross dressers aren't transgender. There's no middle road, you either live full time male or full time female.

While being out with my wife as Daisy one day, a local member, now friend, actually noticed me. Much to my surprise, I came home to a private message asking if it was me that they saw in public. Long story short, we met up and started a local group in the area and I consider this person an amazing friend who's been a pillar to my journey so far.

In May of last year, I went to our like PrideFest without my wife. This would be the first time I went out without an anchor, so I was a bit worried, but I figured I could do it. After the fest, I stopped by a local restaurant to get a milkshake, but when I went to leave, my car didn't start. I was forced into a stressful situation as Daisy! A young man that was next to me offered to help me (and he did) and he ma'amed me the entire time! The situation was resolved with a call to AAA, but the realization at this point was I handled the situation without an anchor. A new mile stone! From here on out, I started to go out more and more. My friend and I shopped together quite a bit, never with an issue.

Fast forward to September, I met a local transgender person who had been on HRT for several years. She was incredibly unhappy and remained dysphoric. It broke my heart to see her situation, but it made something in my click - I assumed that the only reason you should get on HRT is to resolve a deep depression caused by gender dysphoria, and yet, this person remained just as bad, if not worse off. It made me think - does someone have to be morbidly obese in order to seek a healthier life? I didn't suffer from dysphoria, I didn't really suffer from anything. However, I told myself that if I were ever had a catastrophic life event that it would probably tear down the walls I had to prevent me from seeking a transition. This hit me rather hard, so I decided that I would seek therapy to see if HRT was something right for me despite my situation.

After several therapy sessions, my therapist agreed that my reasoning was sound, I was realistic about my expectations and that my goals were definitely reasonable. She referred me to a endocrinologist and I set up my appointments - I was going to get on HRT. My goal was to try it, see where it went, see if it was even right for me. No expectations and no desire to socially transition. That is no name change, no gender marker changes (which I cannot do in my state anyway) and no desire to live full time, only part time. Now wait, some of you may be fuming saying this is wrong, it cannot be done. Just remember that this decision has been something in the making for over a quarter of a year with a lot of planning, deliberation and very careful though. This isn't a dive into the deep in by any means. I've had full support from my therapists, wife and doctors, so I'm under proper care.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago. I went to a festival called MAGFest. It stands for "Music and Gaming Festival", an event in DC revolving around gaming (video games, table top, card, board, all kinds of games). I decided I'd be living as Daisy for 3 days and I did just that. I had a hotel room mate that was totally supportive. I didn't disguise my voice and I used the men's restroom. Not a soul cared. But the interesting part was that on that Monday I was scheduled to head home via Megabus, but our trip was canceled due to the snow storm that was supposed to hit. I had 2 friends up in DC with me and while they were adults, I still felt responsible to get them home. Once I found out that my trip was canceled (found this out Sunday at like 2pm), I went into action to secure a rental car and decided to check out early and head home asap. Time was short so I remained in Daisy mode. I checked out of the hotel and rented a car, all in Daisy mode with a male voice. Absolutely zero problems. We had one pit stop on the road where I used the women's restroom and we ate dinner.

That entire weekend and situation did another number on me. Despite presenting myself as a girl, I remained responsible and myself. I handled the stressful situation very well and got myself and my friends home. I was comfortable during the entire festival and I was, more importantly, myself the entire time. I knew this was it, I was going to have to make my move.

Last weekend I had the chance to meet up with my friend as Daisy and I invited my wife and kid to come along. I've never been out with my daughter in public as Daisy, but she's grown up around it and just associates it with me seeing my friends. My friend had to cancel, but I was already Daisy when she canceled, so I decided I'd go out anyway. I was dressed as a girl and my wife and kid went out to eat. I used my male voice because while my daughter enjoys me being pretty, she doesn't like me using my female voice. She sees it as me being silly and aggravating her. At the restaurant, we didn't have any problems. I got a few looks for obvious reasons and I saw customers whispering among themselves, but still, no problems. People will obviously look and talk, it's not every day you see a pretty girl with a male voice!

Since that situation went off without a hitch, I decided to make the final step to get where I want to be - need to be. I came out to my manager as being on the transgender spectrum. I gave him my situation - that given a similar job that allowed me to present as female sometimes, not all the time, I would leave for that job instantly. I told him that I felt it unfair to not come out to the company and give them a chance to make reasonable accommodations. I told him that if such requests jeopardizes my job that I won't pursue it, but I still felt I needed to give it a shot. My manager gave me full support and he's going to do everything in his power to make sure I'm comfortable and able to express myself as I feel I need to.

So here I am, living a life of part time male, part time female. Fully backed by my wife, therapist and friends. I know many of you will instantly jump to negativity and all the what ifs. I lived a life flooded in that kind of thinking. Just know I'm not fully committed to this life style. Just because not many (if anyone) has been able to do this doesn't mean it cannot be done. It's an unfortunate situation as I have no guidance in all this. I've not read up on anyone who's done this before, so it's incredibly scary.

To add to it, I'm in a situation where I have one foot in the cross dresser's sector and another foot int he transgender sector. Both sides all too often draw a solid line that full separates the sides with no blurring of the line. I've met too many who tip toe on that line but never cross it as they feel like the moment they figure cross dressing isn't "just a hobby" that it means they're transgender and that means they have to seek SRS. Labels don't define the life you live. No one can force you into something you don't want to do. It is up to each individual to decide what steps are necessary to find their own happiness.

I really hope my story, as it continues, can offer guidance to others every where. I've had so many tell me that I'm an inspiration, that they had no clue what I'm doing was even possible. I'm still not so sure it is but I'm going to try. Being who you are is very important and labels don't matter. They don't define who you are, just give a vague description.

Edit: For a bit of a side note here. I still claim that I am a cross dresser. I associate most with cross dressers, hence why I post this story here. Do not think that I look convincing simply because of HRT. I've only been on it for a month and there's been almost no physical changes. My looks have been an accomplishment of diet, exercise, nutrition and skin care. Just so no one thinks I'm "cheating", so to speak :P

A lady in the making..... Erica Marie's Avatar
    Daisy, you are an amazing person. I would live your life in a heartbeat if I had the opportunity.
    Erica

"Labels don't define the life you live. No one can force you into something you don't want to do. It is up to each individual to decide what steps are necessary to find their own happiness."

And that is it in a nut shell but it takes a lot of courage to follow that. Courage and your fantastic wife!

Great story, thank you for posting it. You are not alone in remaining on the straddle. Transition is not automatic nor is it for everyone who dresses and lives en femme some of the time.

Daisy, that is quite and odyssey you are one. I am completely in the CD zone, live to dress, but I am completely comfortable with my myself. Was just wondering if you don't plan to transition, why the HRT. I'm not judging, I just normally thought of HRT as means to an end.

Gone to live my life
    Hi Daisy,

With exception of HRT I also live a part-time existence (40% female / 60% male) both at home and soon at work (as soon as accomodation can be worked out). While I hate using labels I don't consider myself a cross dresser but will use that term if someone asks in order to explain it simply. I do consider myself TG but more gender fluid as I can exist in one or the other. I don't mix the two (i.e., no underdressing when en boy or femme clothing mixed into my male clothing). I just exist either as boy or girl me depending on how I feel.

Hugs and thanks for sharing.

Isha

Isha

Much like you, I never really underdress. I do wear my underwear with male presentation, but that's only out of practicality and comfort. I'll wear boxers still as part of my daily wear, but I never mix male clothing with female presentation and vice versa. I never try to appear androgynous or gender bending. If you need a proper label, bigender would be what best describes me.

Quote Originally Posted by alwayshave View Post
    Daisy, that is quite and odyssey you are one. I am completely in the CD zone, live to dress, but I am completely comfortable with my myself. Was just wondering if you don't plan to transition, why the HRT. I'm not judging, I just normally thought of HRT as means to an end.
    I had read the experiences of some regarding the emotional and mental changes they had gone through. A few aspects included: greater emotional awareness, able to easily cry, focus, clarity and seeing the world with a positive eye. The emotional aspects I already experienced my entire life. However, I noticed that I would go through these monthly cycles where a few days out of a month I would get irritable, unable to hold in my emotions and would kind of snap at my wife for no reason at all. I noted when this would occur and realized it was cyclical and happened for a few days. I noted other changes such as low energy, unable to sleep and tension. The fact it cycled made me wonder if possibly there was a hormonal explanation. Given how some people who went on HRT described some of the changes that I lived my entire life, I pondered if perhaps I had higher levels of estrogen and lower levels of T already and the monthly cycles were a fluctuation. I have zero proof of any of this, but it made me wonder if perhaps HRT would provide a better balance. I'm on a low dose now and I am happy to report that the mental changes I sought do indeed seem to be doing what I had hope. My emotions are still exist, but I can make note of them, handle them and respond rather than react. I have greater clarity and I no longer have the moments of unexplained irritability. I have reduced anxiety and I find myself being who I feel like I really am. Basically, I feel like every day is a good day now, rather than a good day happening every once and a while. Not sure why it works, but it seems to be working.

tl; dr; - I sought after HRT for the mental effects.
    Last edited by Sandra; 02-07-2015 at 09:47 AM. Reason: No need to quote the post directly above yours

Platinum Member
    I think you've accomplished a Wonderful accommodation of your gender identity.

One definitional quibble. you used the term TG where the term TS would have been more appropriate. transgender is a term encompassing a broad range of gender identities and expression....not the dichotomy you thought. Transgendered people, including occasional and part time CDrs, live across a spectrum of life expressions. It's only important in that the false dichotomy and either/or alternatives needlessly limit ones understanding and options.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

kimdl93

Ah, I apologize for that. In the circles I am apart of, transgender is often synonymous with transexual, so I use the terms interchangeably. My mistake!
    Last edited by Sandra; 02-07-2015 at 09:48 AM. Reason: No need to quote the post directly above yours

Aspiring Member
    Hi Daisy,

Great story! I am envious of you and your lifestyle.

Many have shared that they are either a crossdresser or transgender. For me, I believe I am more ambigendered, which occasionally used on this forum. I think the world may be more receptive to the latter term then the CD or TG.

Best of luck and you girl!
    Michele

Amazing read Daisy, and wishing you great things!

Jamie
    At the makeup counter

Beautifully written and very touching. Be who you need to be to be happy and love yourself! Don't worry about gender definitions. Certainly no one here should be judgmental with regard to that. You have obviously given this a tremendous amount of thought and taken all the appropriate steps to make sure your decision was sound and your family supportive. I hope you find the peace you certainly deserve!
    Visit Kandi's Land (http://www.kandis-land.com/) daily! Nothing but positive and uplifting posts!
    Pictures and stories of every time out: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131254150@N06/.

No negativity from this side of the pond Daisy..

Through a fair amount of heartache and soul-searching you seem to have found a balance that is both achievable and harmonious for you and your loved ones and THAT is what life is about.... Nothing to do with being CD, TG, trans* or otherwise - your life is your journey and you have to navigate that as best you can... which you seem to be doing - Congratz!

Thank you for sharing such a positive story!

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

I think you have found a good balance and it gives you many choices as to what you can do.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Daisy, thanks for your story. I wish you the best and much happiness. Your story serves to prove that we can't be put into discrete boxes, that we are all unique. Even if we share certain commonalities, we aren't clones and don't have to conform to some TG-PC police. I'm fully in the CD side of the TG spectrum, not TS or TSish, but I want applaud you for pursuing your own comfort zone!
    Putting the y (chromosome) in girly!

Thank you for sharing your journey with us , I am going to start HRT but do not plan on SRS .
    I don`t think it will be a easy journey ,but it is a start and I hope it will even me out .
    I am retired so work is not a problem ,just dealing with the rest of my family ,of course when I get my ears pierced next week it may cause some pointed questions.

Best wishes on your journey wherever it takes you!

Thanks for a very nice post

Thanks for this thoughtful post. I wish you the best!

WOW Daisy! I'm speechless. Thanks for sharing. I hope it all works out for you.
    Kim

"I just gotta be me"

Daisy I think your story is amazing!

as I've said before when I've posted about your pictures you always look really awesome. You are so brave to be able to be Daisy in the real world and for your wife to be so supportive is brilliant. Starting on HRT is a scary ride to get onto and you are brave to do it. I myself am still figuring out why I dress and am I on some sort of journey to transitioning? still don't know the answer to that one totally, very much a CD for now at least and probably always will be, but It's great that you have figured this out for yourself and taken control of your life, you only get one chance at it!! I wish you the best of luck with everything.

Hugs

Michelle

Wow Daisy,
    I'm so pleased for you and impressed with your story. Diversity is what we're all about, however each of us manifests, if we're not causing harm to others then its all great IMO.
    If I may ask, does the HRT affect your male "performance" or voice? (its okay, you don't have to answer if you don't want, thanks)

Not sure if HRT talk is taboo here or not, but I can say that the dosage is low and HRT doesn't affect your voice anyway when going mtf. I'm only going to be on what's necessary for my mental happiness and whatever keeps me healthy according to my doctor.

Thank you for sharing. No two people are on the same path.

Banned Read only
    As long as it is working for you and your family, what else could you ask for?