Thread: a side of the horse-meat

a side of the horse-meat

So, last night on Downton Abbey, Mary rides a steeple chase ( and explained the etymology of the word ) on her horse-- SIDESADDLE!!! Jumps and all!
    Pretty impressive if it were true (not the show, but actually back then).

Modern day equivalent : motorhorse (motorcycle).

Have any of us:

1. Rode sidesaddle (horse or motorcycle) for fun?

2. Have you ever driven a passenger who sat sidesaddle?

3. If you had the money to spare, would you be tempted to learn how to ride sidesaddle, with proper saddle , just for the fun of seeing how it felt for women back then? (Of course you have to be dressed in those complicated clothings)

I love the look of riding pants on girls, moreso even the complete outfits:

Kristi.... think you might have found a bit of a niche here... and much as I lurv Downton Abbey (I think Sybil has the sexiest voice on TV at the mo.. ) it seems like it's a very nichey niche.... No matter... I have answers to your Q's...

1. Rode sidesaddle? - nope - never rode a horse, and now probably never will at my ripe old age... and wouldn't sidesaddle a motorbike - changing gears or braking would be a right bugger's muddle...

2. Passenger? - nope - I get the image, though it's more Audrey Hepburn and Lamberettas... which is a pleasing image...

3. If I had the money...? nope again... it'd scare the jodhpurs off me getting on that much steaming French cuisine, let alone dangling off one side and still trying to keep one's wig and eyelashes on in the breeze...

Every time I come across anything like this it's Jethro Tull's 'Hunting Girl' that pops into my mind.... can't imagine why...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

so i must confess ive never seen downtown abbey or know the reference...i did however have the opportunity to work with and ride horses and ponies alike...
    that said doing the race sidesaddle would be quite impressive, male or female in my opinion....

1) i have rode side saddle although not for the reason it was intended,
    2) no and no, not on a bike not on a train or a plane have never had a passenger who sat that way.
    3) if i had the money i would love to have a farm and stable with horses, but riding sidesaddle would be the furthest from the reason, i curse the riding boot for which has dominated the look of womens boots for way too long, the rest of the outfit does look appealing....

long time since ive listened too jethro, did have the pleasure to see him in madison square garden when in my yute....
    ....Mykell
    i dressed like a girl and i liked it! crossdressing...theirs an app for that

I rode a carousel horse side saddle. Does that count?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hell-o Kristi,
    Knowing a bit, OK ... a lot about saddles, I have never had anyone ask for advice on a sidesaddle.
    I think the whole concept went out the window when women started wearing those britches!
    I have seen quite a few sidesaddles, display only type things, the only time I've seen one in use was in a parade.
    And yes I would be VERY interested in trying to ride in one, Hmmmm..... my thought wheels are spinning !
    Much Love,
    Kristyn
    Oh Yeah! Yes Suzi that counts, those carousel horses are soooo unpredictable sometimes.
    I smile because you are my friend, and
    I laugh because there is nothing you can do about it!!!

a writer and artist seen in Western Horseman in the 60's and 70's was (is?) Randy Steffens. He said riding a true side saddle was very secure due to the way the legs are clamped to the saddle. I have a lot of saddle time but none in a side saddle.
    joank
    Southern California

I have put many miles on a horse but never side saddle. I see ladies jumping in a side saddle and they handled the jumps quite well

Quote Originally Posted by Krististeph View Post
    If you had the money to spare, would you be tempted to learn how to ride sidesaddle, with proper saddle , just for the fun of seeing how it felt for women back then?
    No. It's a lot more fun for a woman to ride the other way.
    Reine

There is a picture of me riding a motorcyle sidesaddle somewhere... I was showing some friends, after telling them of a very silly evening where a group of us were tricked onto doing stupid stuff. ( there may or may not have been beer involved )
    "Normal is what you get when you average out the weirdness that everybody has." Quote from my SO

Normal is a setting on a washing machine, or another word for average.

The fact that I wear a skirt as a male should not be taken as a comment on what you do, or do not wear, or how you wear it.

My wife dragged me (kicking and screaming!) to a horse expo a couple of weeks ago. And it drove home the point that "horsemanship" has become overwhelmingly a feminine pursuit where it once was purely masculine (Lady Godiva notwithstanding.) It would be interesting to read an analysis of how the equestrian arts evolved from masculine to feminine. Me and most of the other males were just there to serve as pack mules to carry all the goodies back to the car. On the positive side, seeing all those fit leather clad women carrying rope and riding crops and whips was kind of interesting. My own view of hay hoovers horses is that they are a potential food source after the zombie apocalypse. I haven't ridden a horse since I was a kid although I've been around them most of my life and have four now (2 Arabs, 1 QH, 1 TB.) I've never seen anyone ride side saddle except on TV.

Where have all the cowboys gone?

If my wife and I go out for the evening we often take the vespa as it is so easy to find parking. She'll ride sidesaddle on pillion as it's the only way while wearing a skirt. As for women and equestrian, the more women in tight riding clothes the better (it is a very yummy look.)

Hey K as long as the horse didn't care, I'd give it a shot. Why not?
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Like Suzi,
    I worked on a carousel and jumped on to a horse side saddle whilst trying to chat up the patrons.
    Took a girl to a dance on the back of a motorbike once... Sidesaddle.
    Didn't work too well as she got grease on her long dress.
    Could have got caught in the spokes of the back wheel and that would have been worse.

I was young and maybe she was stupid....

I don't know.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Silver Member
    If you want to see cowboys go to Houston, TX at the end of the month it is Rodeo time. Lots of cowboys and a lot of cowgirls. Grew up around horses. Most of the sidesaddles have rotted away in old dilapidated barns. I knew girls who could ride sidesaddle and have sat on one on a saddle tree. The trick is to keep the front leg over the pommel If you want to know how it is done https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV_oYU5f-8o
    Last edited by lingerieLiz; 02-10-2015 at 11:41 PM.

Years ago I used to commute about 60 miles each way to my job on a motorcycle. At the end of a long day I would ride the last twenty miles side-saddle. It feels really odd at first then quickly becomes easy, even normal. I never did it when dressed though, (British weather).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Small town in western Kansas middle of nowhere
    I've never ridden a horse saddle but I knew back in the day a couple of gals who did in parades and the like. The seemed to think it was awkward and uncomfortable but that might have been because they were used to riding astraddle.

When I was in college the gal who lived across the street from me would often ask for a lift to campus. If she was wearing a skirt that day she would hop on the back of my bike side saddle . It makes a a bit harder to control the bike at times but I never went to fast with her on there like that.

I have no interest what so ever to learn to ride side saddle. My money would be better spent on other things I would enjoy more.
    "It takes all kinds of kinds" Miranda Lambert
    Now some point a finger and let ignorance linger
    If they'd look in the mirror they'd find.
    That ever since the beginning to keep the world spinning
    It takes all kinds of kinds.

I believe that, if you're used to it, riding sidesaddle is every bit as secure as riding astride - possibly more secure!
    As for Lady Mary keeping up with the pace... I'd be surprised if she didn't! Julian Fellowes has written her as a real firecracker.

Queen of the Faery Realms Bethany_Anne_Fae's Avatar
    Ive managed to try it once and found that at first it is quite awkward, but once you figure out the weight distribution, leg placement, and go very slowly lol... its very interesting. I prefer the regular method but for that one day I want to put on my Victorian finery... its nice to be able to put on a show in period form

Beth
    (Formerly known everywhere as Lady Zarabeth

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    No. It's a lot more fun for a woman to ride the other way.
    Reine, you are so bad!

I saw a picture of the band Versailles, where all were in their usual period costumes, and Hizaki (lead guitar) was wearing a ladies gown sitting side saddle for the picture. I was envious.
    Warmly,
    Sheren Kelly