Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does CDing change your musical taste?

Does CDing change your musical taste?

As a guy I mainly listen to loud rock music. Not death or trash metal but classic bands like Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Metallica, Def Leppard and I stil have a love affair going with the 80's glam/hair metal scene (yes, Poison even made me try on makeup for the very first time!!).

But as soon as Jeanette walks in, the mood changes completely. I like to sit down and relax while listening to female singers from the soft pop/rock scene. Artists like Enya, Norah Jones, Eva Cassidy, Katie Melua and of course the most beautiful voice in music Linda Ronstadt take over.

Is this another example of the beautiful softness of our feminine side?

I would say that depends mainly on the person, not the clothes.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Is it just me or......... Carroll's Avatar
    Nope. My taste in music is as constant as the stars. As a musician (drummer) I rock out whether I am wearing jeans and sneaker or a skirt and heels.
    Drumming, My other hobby

I don't think it has affected me I like hard rock as well as wallpaper music.

It all depends on the mood I am in at the time.

When searching for music for programming any sort of music can appeal to me at the time.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Aspiring Member
    Not really on my part, save for the fact that I prefer Chinese songs in particular while en femme. They indeed tend to be much more mellow than English-language pop, but to me my taste in music is independent of my cross-dressing. I have never played the drums in a skirt, and have only and will only drum in jeans.

On the other hand, Kiss Me by Sixpence none the Richer takes on a totally different meaning now.

Also I've played guitar both en drab ("home clothes") and en femme (strapless dress) and see no difference in my articulation and picking.

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    Yes! I'm currently listening to some very girly music that I would not have listened to before. It's Japanese stuff with dreamy female vocals, think teenage Bjork meets sissy Cocteau Twins, dressed in Gothic Lolita.

Jeanette, ask your other half if he's seen Heart's live cover of Stairway To Heaven, it's a Zep tribute concert, you'll find it on Youtube. Makes me cry every time, and you can see Jimmy & Co are loving it.
    I used to have a short attention spa

Yeah Nikki, the other half has seen that one and thinks its fantastic. Mrs. Wilson has such a great voice. Jimmy likes it indeed and I think I can even spot a few tears in mr. Plant's eyes!

With my realization as to who I really am, my tastes in music didn't change, they improved and broadened. I love music in the entire spectrum, classical instrumental, music of the 50's, 60's, etc. But my collection has added a larger number of female performers, their messages are presented in a way I appreciate, and identify with more closely.

Bobbi

Reality Check
    Strapping on a pair of boobs and a wig changes nothing for me. I am still the same person with the same mind and tastes.

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    Glad you like the Heart video- I just watched it again, totally crying my eyes out, and it's mostly because of the expressions on Zep's faces, and how bloody old they look. It reminded me, there's a Japanese or Korean girl called Luna, she plays a gayageum- trad Japanese instrument, check out her version of The Great Gig In The Sky- it's short, but it's fantastic. There's also a 4-instrument gayageum version of Stairway, really weird. Also try some tracks by Cuushe - trying to think of stuff that might combine both your sides.
    I used to have a short attention spa

Great question. I say that because as I grow (slang for age) I do find my taste let's say expanding. I have always thought a good song is a good song. My latest favorite is the all girl band Haim.

The non-GG next door.... Candice Mae's Avatar
    Nope, currently painting my toe nails soft pink (bought it for my first Vday!) and listening to the new Venom album.

Thanks Nikki, just checked out both artists. Cuushe isn't exactly my kind of music but perhaps it'll grow on me as I listen to it more often. Luna sounded very interesting, but weird indeed. The east Asians seem to love doing weird stuff...have you seen any YouTube videos by Ameri1122 yet? She plays some strange looking synth including foot pedals as drums. There are some good videos, she does Kansas' Carry on, Rush's YYZ and Leppard's Switch625 among other things.

Also thank you Vinni, I have heard of Haim. They had 1 or 2 minor hits here in Europe. Will check out more of them as well.

No my musical taste is the same male or female very eclectic and my playlist would probably put most people to sleep. Hugs Jaymee
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

Not me, I still like all the music I like any other time. I might lean a bit more towards one genre or the other, but nothing drastic as going from Black Sabbath to Celine Dion.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Nope but that might be because I have always had a certain way with music. Its quite simple really if I like the song I will play it or own it. Sure I listen to a lot more metal than anything else but it don't matter to me I could be playing J-pop/rock, Heavy metal, Metal, Pop , Classic club, blues. love them all the only things I really don't like are rap and main stream stuff. But it never changed what I listen to. Don't have music moods my playlists are so random. One second it would be Dir en gray to DHT to david bowie lol.

Just depends on the mood really.I am a musician /singer also (acoustic guitar ,perform bluegrass,old country and some obscure stuff)..but I /we listen to everything. Im a channel changer so...girly club stuff is ok for a while...rock?? pick em....then we might listen to big band station for a while..I love the old swing tunes from the 30's and 40's...so nahh..don't guess getting the glam on changes much as far as music goes..if we can drink to it..play it..my 2cents.

It does not change my musical taste, but it actually changes the way I compose music. I am a piano player for 26 years, and I like improvising a lot, particularly romantic style, like Chopin. Usually, when I improvise, I think a lot logically (sequence of chords, what chord works with what other chord, etc.), but when I am Karolyn (particularly in a dress), my emotions talk! Forget about the logic, it is all about emotion. I have composed my best improvisations ever while being Karolyn, simply because I was letting my feelings go into the music. Fortunately I recorded some of those to be able to replicate them later.

I wouldn't say it changes our tastes but rather coming to terms with crossdressing breaks down the barriers we put up to maintain our "maleness" and at least for me, it allowed me to enjoy things I normally would avoid to maintain a certain image.

Not as much as having a 3 year old girl does. But sometimes the two things intersect musically.

Nope, not at all. Because I'm the same person no matter which clothes I'm wearing.

Banned Read only
    No, music tastes the same to me. Could use a little salt and pepper though. Maybe some mayo too.

CD Lifer and a Visual Kei Shinya's Avatar
    The song remains the same

haha - I like that, Shazna!

Nope. No matter what I wear, I still can't stand any kind of "crossover" music. I have a pet peeve about music that tries to be more than one genre, or that tries not to offend anyone. And, by definition, music has to have certain elements: it must have form, rhythm, and melody. In my never-to-be-humble opinion, rap is not music, nor is timed noise, such as compositions by the likes of John Cage, because they lack one of more of the three necessary elements.
    "We don't see things as they are; we see things as we are." Anais Nin