Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Homophobia for Valentine's day.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Campbell View Post
    well.....not in Florida.......
    Angela- do you mean Florida is a good or a bad place to be trans? (I'm thinking of moving there post-transition.)

Well, I guess this florist doesn't need Paula's business very badly. I wouldn't darken their door again.

Quote Originally Posted by BeckyW View Post
    Angela- do you mean Florida is a good or a bad place to be trans? (I'm thinking of moving there post-transition.)
    A wonderful place!
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

I experienced MUCH more homophobia when everybody thought I was gay because I was so feminine (despite my best attempts to hide it). I never really "passed" as a boy, and am often surprised that I pass so well as a woman.

When I transitioned, about the only time people raise an eyebrow is when I tell them I've been married to my wife for 9 years. The US didn't have gay marriage in 2006 - anywhere. They ask if I got married in Canada, so I finally have to explain that I was her husband when I got married. That gets a bit of a fish face. Then I tell them I'm in my late 50s and have 2 grand-children and that's a bigger shock. Most people think I'm in my mid 40s.
    Last edited by DebbieL; 02-21-2015 at 10:54 PM.
    Facebook - Debbie Lawrence
    Web - [URL="http://www.debbieballard.org"]DebbieBallard.org{/URL]
    See also:
    Open4Success

Usually, my mentioning my wife just garners a pregnant pause. I never mention that we were husband and wife when we married. That's like explaining physics to a cat.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Cat's can be very intelligent
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

So sorry to hear that Paula. Such a stupid conclusion to jump to in the first place. I expect more from Canada than from The States.

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rianna Humble View Post
    Cat's can be very intelligent
    Cats will pretend to listen if you dangle a treat in front of them.

I'm neither gay or religious. So, I just roll my eyes when my best friend of fifty+ years goes off on a proselytising anti-gay rant. When he comes out to visit, I think Carla will pick him up at the airport.

Anyway, rudeness finds it's way into everything so I wouldn't worry about the flower shop lady. I got a venomous FU look from a receipt checker lady at Costco as she verified that the 6 pack of bikini panties in my hand matched the receipt. I was tempted to say, "Your husband likes me in panties at the motel." but, I just let her marinade in her personal hate.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Small town in western Kansas middle of nowhere
    I've don't go out dressed so never had anything like that happen to me. I wouldn't dare go out dressed around here. The governor here in Kansas just revoked the previous governor's protection for employment rights for anyone the LGBT community in terms of state employment. That's how homophobic and backward this state is.
    "It takes all kinds of kinds" Miranda Lambert
    Now some point a finger and let ignorance linger
    If they'd look in the mirror they'd find.
    That ever since the beginning to keep the world spinning
    It takes all kinds of kinds.