Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Underdressed in the emergency room

Underdressed in the emergency room

Well now I can confirm what health techs and first responders among us have often said, they don't care or even notice what clothes they are cutting or peeling off you. In my case last Friday night, a bandsaw accident in my workshop had them extracting me from denim jacket, blue flannel work shirt, black cami, lacy bra, girl jeans and pantyhose. My sweet wife had extracted my breast forms at a traffic light en route, I guess they are frozen in the back of the car now.

I sliced into knuckles and cut several tendons but everything wiggles and I'm expecting full functional recovery. Meanwhile I will have to learn brassieres one-handed as many women do.
    Last edited by Jackie7; 02-15-2015 at 04:40 PM.

Glad it was not worse. Must have been just a little nervous cutting through your bra and cami!

Very lucky!!!!Moving blades are all tougher than we are!

Glad all is well. Good thing is: you'll have to go shopping for a new cami and bra.
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread

Wow!!! I'm glad you're going to be okay, Jackie, glad too that the hospital staff were professional.

Be careful!
    My name is Carol.

The bandsaw is oft overlooked but it is the most dangerous tool in the workshop because we get so close to the blade. You think those knuckles hurt but wait till you put the frozen breast forms back in!!!!

I'm glad your ok.

Omigosh, sounds like you got pretty banged up. Hope you feel good as new soon. Now you can make up cool stories about how you got the scars.

Breathes under water prettytoes's Avatar
    Just be glad it wasn't the table saw....that would involve fingers on the floor! Get better soon!
    Life's too short to not be enjoyed! Live each day to the fullest!

Wow, hope everything turns out well!!! I have friends who have lost fingers...
    Please call me Lisa!

Quote Originally Posted by Laura912 View Post
    The bandsaw is oft overlooked but it is the most dangerous tool in the workshop because we get so close to the blade. You think those knuckles hurt but wait till you put the frozen breast forms back in!!!!
    Well they are all dangerous but the lathe is the deadliest ... It seems benign and cozy, until the workpiece comes loose and ricochets into your head. I think I will warm the forms a while.

Hope you recover soon, I've come across many people with nick names given to them by machines i.e." one-eyed" Larry," three finger" Mike. Maybe we should call you Jackie "knuckles"? Take care and heal good, ask what you can do about scaring. Safety first always.

OMG Jackie, really who the hell cares what they cut through as long as you are okay....wait wait Black cami.......NOooooo...... Really girl be more careful around those band saw things you are to beautiful to be leaving us, cold boobies are just a minor inconveniences.
    Take care and be careful honey
    Victoria D
    Last edited by Victoria Demeanor; 02-15-2015 at 07:29 PM.
    When I am still and quiet, people who do not know me think, Oh how cute she's shy.
    People who do know me think, OMG RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Girls will be boys and boys will be girls It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola

Jackie, that is awful. I hope that you recover quickly. It seems that you did not have an issue with your clothing at the hospital. Did your wife?

Ouch Jackie, get well soon. Watch those power tools.
    Probably some PT too.
    recovery hugs

Quote Originally Posted by alwayshave View Post
    Jackie, that is awful. I hope that you recover quickly. It seems that you did not have an issue with your clothing at the hospital. Did your wife?
    I meant to write in the first place that the ER and hospital staff were great. Friendly, caring, attentive, professional, expert -- even when taking grumpy old blood pressure at 5 am. I'M not too shy anyway, wouldn't have expected any CD issue or even any untoward noticing, didn't experience any. Same as in a few late-night traffic stops I've had while driving CD, professional cops don't care what you are wearing, just how you've been driving.

And thanks everyone for kind wishes. The love and support I'm getting from family friends is the healing force.

Jackie, I'm so glad the outcome. Be careful, girlfriend.

Ouch ! as a machinist I know all too well especially with a lathe today OI had an 6 inch dia chunk of stainless decide it was unhappy in the machine even doing everything right one has to be extra carefull I heard it start to let go and ducked ,woulda left a heck of a mark glad to hear you are ok
    hugs phylis anne

Very scary. So glad you are going to be ok. I remember my dad telling me that power tools are more dangerous than machine guns (and he was 3rd wave on Normandy so he should know). I hear his words every time I turn on any power tool.

Now I'm having a hard time mentally picturing hooking a bra with one hand . . .
    Putting the y (chromosome) in girly!

I was there two yrs ago, when my older brother dropped his portable grinder cutter, and he was under a car, and it kept running, and nearly cut his hand off. Scary. I try to use non power tools as much as possible. Also worked with a fellow, who lost control of a hedge trimmer, and cut his thigh badly.

Ouch! That makes me cringe in sympathy! Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Oh my. Your accident could have been so much worse. Glad to hear you are OK and will recover.

hope you recover fast.
    be careful , those good clothes are hard to replace , hee

I don't know which is the most dangerous power tool I use - probably the chaon saw. BUt I have had some nasty scares from the lathe, the drill press, the band saw, my 6" automotive grinder, an air chisel and even a Dremel.

Glad to hear you are not missing digits, and glad it sounds as though you might have even gotten away without permanent damage, other than a little superficial scar tissue.
    @ phyliss anne - It is flat out scarey when things decide they are not happing in the lathe. I once lost an 8" length of .75"drill rod out of my grandfather's 4" lathe when the bearings in a live center seized and came apart. Fortunately, I was taking a finish cut at the time, so it flew away from me. Otherwise, I might have been seriously injured.
    "We don't see things as they are; we see things as we are." Anais Nin

Glad to here it was not as bad as it could have been, feel better soon!