Thread: Mardi gras'd out

Mardi gras'd out

This year's Mardi Gras has been great and the weather has cooperated up until this afternoon/evening. The wind picked up this afternoon, the rain moved in and now it's getting cold. I decided I've had my share of parades, parties, and the resulting festivities.

Tonight I retreated to having some me time and just finished doing my nails in London Butter's Snog (it's such a cute color!) Though tomorrow is Fat Tuesday, I think I'll revel in Misty time. Could use the recharging before I return to work on Wednesday.

Anyone here make it to Mardi Gras this year?

Oh how I miss living on the Mississippi Gulf Coast and all the parties/balls leading up to Fat Tuesday.
    They were so much fun and the themes were outrageous . AS one Southern bell told me " If there isn't at least one divorce caused by a Mardi Gras ball then it really wasn't much of a ball.

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    Never been down there while Mardi Gras is going on, surprisingly.... As much time as I've spent down there you'd think I would have made it at least once. But I did get a King Cake this year, I guess our local Kroger realized enough people who left after Katrina have made our area home and there's enough of a market to supply them.

Nope sorry pagan celebrations are not my cup o' tea.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Here in Long Beach, SoCal, our favorite T girl club is having Mardi Gras nite tonite, Tuesday.

I threw together a crazed look which I hope will at least get me into their costume contest finals?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I went to St. Louis' Mardi Gras parade and caught a decent amount of beads of various lengths and colors. St. Louis' (Soulard) Mardi Gras is the second largest in the US, only behind NOLA of course.
    -BrendaJane
    Congratulations St. Louis Blues 2019 Stanley Cup Champions!!! "Play Gloria"!!!

I don't make the ones in New Orleans, but I do take the family to the ones in our area. No parades today because they thought the weather was going to be bad so all 4 ran Sunday, instead of two rolling today.

Aspiring Member Michelle Crossfire's Avatar
    London Butter's Snog???
    [B][I]Call me Michelle: doll:

Google says "hot pink nail polish' http://www.butterlondon.com/Lacquers/Snog.html

Reality Check
    I would imagine that's the perfect time and place to dress in public. Sadly, it's a long way for me to travel so I've never been.

Since I maintain a home in the area and know many people in the New Orleans area, not a place I would go out dressed even during Mardi Gras. Not that I go out dressed anyway . . .

For what it's worth I think Mardi Gras gets a bad wrap for drinking and debaunchery. That happens a whole lot in parts of the French Quarter, but there are lots of family friendly events, social gatherings and parades all over to see and enjoy. Also, there are lots of costumed folks so it would be easy to dress and go practically unnoticed - and I know some that do.

I was interested to read your take on Mardi Gras.

Glad to see pockets of sensibility survive in the suburbs.

I have watched Bourbon St degenerate over the years, I have followed it since 1999.

It seems to get worse each time I visit and this year even the buskers were over zealous of photographers.

"If you want my photo, tip me."

So I just said "stick it I have the photos I want, they show you as a fool"....

You do make sure you cam run fast though.

The worst place for this is the strip in Hollywood, I know they make their living that way but trying to stop un rewarding photography does not work.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.