Thread: Funny cautionary tale

Funny cautionary tale

Let me set the scene...Last day I get to fully dress in femme (makeup, body contours the whole nine) for two months, as I am married with kids and circumstances blah blah blah. I have a set of nails I LOVE, they are the impress kind from wal mart but I loved the color. Anyway, on this particular day I wanted to wear them but the adhesive had worn, so I decided to glue them...as my time to switch back to drab draws near I wait until the last possible second...even stretch it a little. After all, 2 months is a long time not to see Rachel. So, I take off my makeup take a shower, then take off my nails (always the last thing I do). I'm running late only to discover the nail glue mixed with the adhesive and left a funky pinkish brown glue that won't come off!! OMG panic!! Nothing will get it off, nail polish remover, hot water etc. Finally I discovered that if I keep my nail dry, it scrapes off slowly. To make a long story short, I got it off but was cutting it too close. Funny now, but scary as hell then. So, learn from me and don't do that!! lol

That is funny Rachel

I leaned a similar lesson the hard way many years ago. Red pigment has a terrible ability to migrate and after having had nail polish on for a few days, I removed it just to discover that my natural nails now had a very noticeable pink tint! It took several days before it finally went away. My girl friend at the time was furious!

Since then I always start out with a coat of clear before applying any color!

- Suzie

GG, SO to Pamela7
    You were lucky Suzie - I used to wear nail varnish all the time as a (GG) teenager, and I discovered that one particular red that I possessed stained my nails so thoroughly that the colour only went when the whole nail had grown out - about 6 months!

I know exactly how you feel, Rachel.

The other day, I bought a new lipstick from Sephora which was significantly more expensive ($18) than the NYC one that I normally wear because they had discontinued my favorite color. I chose Sephora when looking for a match because I wanted to see how well a higher end lipstick performed compared to my usual one. Well, the Sephora lipstick went on nice and smooth, felt very creamy, and seemed to provide deeper coverage. Too good, it turned out, as it acted more like a lip stain.

I had a heck of a time getting it off, and almost scraped my lips raw in the process...with only moments to spare. I didn't expect to be blindsided that way - the NYC version always came off very easily with just a soap and water face wash, along with my regular make up...

Yeah that would Not have been good had it happened to me Welshgirl <LOL>

false eyelashes, put them on before putting eye make up on
    really hard to take off ended up damaging skin on eyelid, still got the scars lol
    putting them on over eye shadow ladys much better lol

Yes all these products go on so easily but can stay on with a vengeance. I actually try to get products that say they are NOT long lasting. I find a coat of clear nail polish first helps and stick with paler colors if you can, or black polish, you can always say you were working on the car if it doesn't all come off. I also use a primer on my eyelids the make-up goes on easier and comes off easier too. Hugs Jaymee
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

I basically did the same thing, trying just a small spot of the adhesive they say will come off by soaking in nail polish remover. Not! Only after the panic subsided did I see that you have to file the false nail down in the middle to let the remover soak through. In my hast I pulled too soon and it took a small bit of my real nail off. It's really hard to cover up a divot in your fingernail.

Rachel,
    Been there done that.....First yes totally agree love the impress nails as they have the larger nails that fit my big mits and they are thinner then most and lay on better. well one night I tried a cheaper brand because I liked the color and typically just use the sticky tabs to put them on. well cheap is cheap and as I was trying to get ready to go out they kept popping off. one here another there. I was pretty much out of the tab they include and getting frustrated since time was running out and I was meeting some one, so out came the glue. ya waited till the next morning with a hour before I had to leave for work to try to get them off. a lot of cursing, nail polish remover, filing, belt sanding oh oh oh still had bits of glue on my nails for a few days after. I figured if anyone noticed I would tell them I started building plastic plane models and got carried away with the glue.
    When I am still and quiet, people who do not know me think, Oh how cute she's shy.
    People who do know me think, OMG RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Girls will be boys and boys will be girls It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola

i just recently had been painting my toenails for teh past 4 weeks. for two weeks i had orange with black tiger stripes. when i finally took it off the other day it had left my toe nails with a little bit of a light yellow tint which is slowly fading since i'm not planning to repaint them for a little while. so i can totally get what you all mean.
    -kat
    "There's a she wolf in the closet, open up and set her free" - shakira

Glue and discolored nails were quite common when I worked in the cabinet shop, nobody ever questioned it.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Tried red nail coloring only ONCE! And, my date made the red streaks on them rite away. Never again!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Was loaned an indelible lipstick by a girlfriend one night.
    Had to wear it for two days.
    Kept covering it with a flesh coloured stick that needed renewing about every hour.
    I think I got away with it.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

A few years back I had a Maria weekend and painted my toenails red. I thought I did a good job of taking it off but then a week later we went on vacation south, I was in the pool and my daughter, of course my daughter can see microscopic things for some reason, asked me if I bumped my foot because my toe nail had blood under it. I looked down and notice my toenail had a grove in it and the nail Polish went into the grove. My wife didn't pack any nail polish remover so I spent the week trying to hide my toe.

OMG! I LOVE the stories. Its tough being a crossdresser!! We all have the scars to prove it, and the stains. Thanks for sharing all of your stories. Marilyn mentioned eyelashes. I drove to my daughters school to pick her up, did one last look in the mirror and realized I left my eyelashes on. Oh how horrible that would have been. If Rachel is ever discovered it will be in that way. -Rachel

Thanks for the tips. You've just saved me from having to wear shoes to sleep. I'm preparing myself for my first pedi. I'll be sure to ask for a coat of clear before color.

joni

Mascara does not come off easily, either. I found this out when a lady friend of my wife's complimented me on my lashes.

I've had the long wearing lipstick challenge. Usually buy the cheap stuff, but decide one day to splurge on a long lasting high end brand. Never again. The staining was noticeable. Wife thought it was funny as h3ll as I embarrassingly tried to explain to friends how the wine did it.

Dear God yes , the eyeliner and mascara have been the bane of my CD existence. Many a time I have scrubbed my eyes within a fraction of being raw, and yes I've tried makeup remover. Maybe I put it on too thick. Whatever. Small price to be briefly beautiful ( to me anyways)- Joss

Platinum Member

Lipstick Stain Remover .

One thing that I've found to remove lipstick stain is Dawn Dish washing liquid that is what they use to wash oil spill off of water foul.

I put a couple drops on a paper towel and a little warm water and once or twice will usually do it.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonithan View Post
    I'm preparing myself for my first pedi. I'll be sure to ask for a coat of clear before color.

joni
    Most nail salons will start with a base coat, then 2 coats of polish, and then finish with a top coat. And they are very careful to not let the polish seep into the area between the nail and the cuticle/skin so that if you must remove it you won't get that telltale outline at the edge of the nail!
    Ambigendrous
    Wealth should not be measured by how much you have, but by how little you need - anon

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    only put glue on the side edges of the nail. Not in the middle or cuticle area. They will be easier to pry off.

and THIS is why I am in this group!!! LOL!!! I'm not laughing AT anyone..... I am laughing WITH you!!! I too have found myself digging at my nail beds with my pocket knife, scraping that tell tail residue at work!!! and mascara no matter how I wash.... I think it's still there like the "tell tail heart" bump, bump....look at me.... bump, bump.... I'm still here....bump, bump!!!!! LOL thank you ALL for making me smile!!!!
    "Life is Always a Bed of Roses........ Sometimes it's All Flowers, and Other Times, It's All Thorns!!!!"

Luv, Jessica XOXO

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    I had a similar experience a number of years ago. I was at my first TG convention; which was held in Portland Oregon that year. When I drove into the parking garage I noticed that my car was overheating, but I had made it to the convention and decided that I would look at it later. Anyway one of the first things I did, after checking into my room was get acrylic nails; which was a learning experience trying to do things with long nails for five days. I didn't do anything with the car, during the convention, because I thought I'd look at it when I left. So Sunday morning, I decided to take off the nails and found out that plain finger nail polish remover doesn't work very fell; which is when the panic set in. I pried and soaked and finally got them off, but it took my nails a long time to get back to normal.
    Dana Ryan