Thread: Christen's debut (well it felt like it)

Christen's debut (well it felt like it)

Well OK it's taken quite some time (mark me down as a slow learner) but finally, finally I got out in to the real world.
    So with a depth of gratitude to Amanda, Donna and Tess ..

My God!!!! What a feeling. What a weekend!

It starts with Amanda, Donna and their friend, Geena, popping in to the winery on Saturday for a little tasting. Dressed of course. A few curious looks but nothing else really. People are so polite, as they should be.
    Sunday night I had invited Amanda and Donna to my place. I'm going crazy hoping to ready by the time they arrived, I worked that day. All goes well, I feel good. The new hair works. I'm feeling cute in a cropped sweater over slim back 7/8 pants and ballet flats. And we have a wonderful night, chatting, drinking (A special vintage sparkling was popped), eating. Great night, good to do I think before the Monday night debut.

Monday I have a schedule to work to that will get me to the pub where the dinner is being held by six o'clock. I have to leave at 5 to make sure I've got plenty of time. I had decided well before what I was wearing, grey pencil skirt, black long sleeve top, opaque tights (still too warm to shave the legs), black suede heels and a new scarf. What could go wrong? Well just about everything apparently.

Why does it take four goes to get fingernail polish right? Why did I even attempt false eyelashes that day? Why can't foundation cope with nervous sweat? How do you get mascara off without stuffing everything else up? So in the end it's, "Well that will just have to do!" and I flew out the door, 20 minutes late. Not so brilliant.

Well I found it takes exactly 40 minutes to drive from where I live to the venue. All the time I'm driving I'm keeping an eye out for the look, you know the 'I don't think that's a woman driving that car' look. Did not happen. Why weren't they looking! Didn't they realise the effort I'd gone to?
    I arrived perfectly on time to realise that no-one else was there.

Too hot to sit in the car, so a deep breath and Stuff it, get out of the car and walk over to the pub. As I get to the footpath I see someone walking towards me. A special friend, Tess has arrived at exactly the same time. We've only met in person once before and that was both of us in guy mode. We walked in together, not many other people there. A group of three older couples having dinner and another table of two women. The six gave us a bit of a look, but everyone was quite cool. The two women did not blink, even once. Soon more of the girls arrive and it's just one rather brilliant night.

I felt soooo good. I got so many compliments I was taken aback. Most didn't believe I hadn't been out before (well once, but I was fifteen), I got, I love your outfit, I love your hair, you look great and I just lapped it up. We left the pub at about ten. Tess had already left, she had a big drive home. But I went back to Mandy and Donna's motel and we had a few nightcaps. Then it was time to drive home. I think the cars tires didn't touch the ground, I was that happy.

So I've gotten out, I've made contact with the locals and it's fantastic. I feel so good about myself, it's weird.
    Now I can't wait until the next dinner in about four weeks.
    And the funniest thing was that all Monday night I just felt so, so .. normal.

Sorry there's no pictures, on the other hand I'm probably glad there aren't.

Christen xx
    “Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing
    and rightdoing there is a field.
    I'll meet you there.” - Rumi.

Congratulations Christen,
    This post has left a smile on my face like a chesire cat sounds like you had a wonderful time!
    Hugs Adelaide

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    Good for you. Glad you had a good time.

Well you have the Fringe Festival on now, more getting out time.

Nobody notices in Singapore during Chinese New Year.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Hi Christen, glad to hear you had such a wonderful evening out. Nothing beats the excitement of that first time.

Regarding the nail polish: I have given up on it. By the time I get to it (usually left it for last) I'm so rushed my hand is shaky, not a good thing if you want to "paint" accurately and you usually have one or two messed up by the time you hit the road. My tip: Buy yourself one of those little cases of transparent false nails. Get the ones that cover the full nail, not just the tips. It usually has 120 nails in 12 different sizes and retails for about $5 at the China shops. Select the right sizes for your fingers and pre-paint yourself a few sets in different colours. Stick them on top of the case with that stuff you stick posters to the wall with (we call it Pres-stik here) to do this. On the day you put a coat of clear lacquer on your nails beforehand (the nail glue sticks to the lacquer in stead of your nail) and is easier to clean up. Select the right colour and stick them on using the nail glue. Quick, easy and no smudges you have perfect nails in 5 minutes.
    Last edited by Jenny Elwood; 02-21-2015 at 12:45 AM.

Banned Read only
    Good on you Christen! Always harder to do in our heads than in the real
    world.

Yaaay Christen
    It was indeed a spectacular night, and I was quite honoured to be a part of it ��
    For me, that sense of utter wellness has been lifesaving, I can still remember my first time beyond four walls, to that very price. You were stunning, and the joy on your face spoke volumes
    I solve the nail Polish dilemma by wearing clear strengthener every day, save the colour for special occasions when there is more time. And lighter, more neutral colours are easier..
    Practice is so much value, new skills to learn ...
    Tess x
    Learning to be me - the best me I can be

Thanks for sharing your grand night out

0 to trans in 60 seconds! Donnagirl's Avatar
    Christen,

It was a wonderful evening, so glad to have been a part of it... Here's to many, many, many more...

And you looked marvellous, a picture of sophisticated elegance.

Donna xxxxx
    Call me Donna, please

Well done Christen... you deserve to be feeling happy, content and normal after waiting for so long...

And we'll just have to try to imagine what 'sophisticated elegance' looks like... until next time...???

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Gone to live my life
    Hi Christen,

CONGRATS and what a great adventure and what great friends to share it with . . . although I would watch out for that Donna she seems to be a bit of a party gal and may lead you down the wrong path . . . just kidding. I am glad you had such a great night and I think many of us here can sympathize with when things just don't go right when you are in a hurry and want to make an impression. However, you weathered the storm and came out ahead. Here is to many more Christen days out and about.

Hugs

Isha

And the funniest thing was that all Monday night I just felt so, so .. normal.
    Christen, that really sums it up nicely. I am so glad you enjoyed your outing and as you say "felt normal".

Hugs
    Ellen Jo
    Somtimes the light's all shining on me, Other times I can barely see.
    Lately it's occured to me.....What a long strange trip it has been.
    Truckin by the Grateful Dead

Banned Read only
    Poof (big powder cloud)! Another one is born.

Glad you finally made it out and had a wonderful time doing so. It will be easier next time. When is that, tonight?

Great read Christen and hooray for you! Intoxicating, isn't it? Enjoy and be safe, and remember to smile and have fun!

Jamie
    At the makeup counter

WoooooHooooo sounds like you had fun fun fun
    Sometimes I like to dress as Linda Leigh

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal ramifications.

What a wonderful story, hope to have such an experience myself some day.
    Visit Kandi's Land (http://www.kandis-land.com/) daily! Nothing but positive and uplifting posts!
    Pictures and stories of every time out: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131254150@N06/.

Thankyou all so much. It was fun, and great, and affirming in a positive way,

and .. I'm doing it again tomorrow night.

xx

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    Nothing like CD girlfriends. I'd simply die without mine. Congratulations dear. Things will never be the same.

Enjoy time tomorrow night Christen

Banned Read only
    Christen,
    I'm so glad that you've weathered the storm and come back to share a wonderful outcome !
    You paint such a vivid picture I feel I'm sitting in the corner of the room taking it all in ! I guess many of us would love to be in that situation but I know it has come at a price, your happiness is more important to function as a normal person ! I just hope I can reach that point and enjoy my CDing as you're beginning to do !
    I hope you didn't mind my comments in the pic section !

Hi Christen, I'm going to Sydney next week, anything special I should do or see? Been there a couple of times and have enjoyed hanging around Manly and Manly beach, but maybe you have some suggestions. Congrats on your girlie debut,
    Last edited by AnnieMac; 03-01-2015 at 06:20 AM.

Annie Mac,

A bridge climb is a good outing even though it costs money.
    The lesbian and Gay Mardigras is on shortly too.
    That is a big Sydney outing.
    Adelaide's Fringe Festival was also good with many innovative outfits being worn.
    Mostly short as the weather was hot, in the 90s most of the time.
    7th March is the parade with most events happening around Darling Harbour.
    Now to see what Sydney has to offer.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Neanderthal in nylons Julie Denier's Avatar
    Good for you! And I'm right there with you on the makeup + sweat experience

Out again last night. A smaller group, eight of us but a lovely, lovely night. Great company, good food and wonderful getting to know people a bit better.
    One big problem though .. going home far, far too early.

Theresa, of course I don't mind your comments. I'd love to try some different hairstyles, one day I can see myself at a wig shop doing it properly rather than the internet purchase. I'm quickly discovering that I'm one of the most wardrobe, shoe and wig challenged girls out there. I might make a bit of that up on makeup though .

And AnnieMac? I've only been to Sydney twice in my life, and only ever briefly. Bev, the constant traveller, knows much more about the place than I do. But you definitely wouldn't want to miss the Mardigras parade, that would be sooo.. much fun. The harbour is beautiful, get out there on a sail boat. I'm sure there's boats offering that sort of thing.

Thnaks again, you lot!