Thread: Japanese Garu fashion/Kimono aficionado anyone?

Japanese Garu fashion/Kimono aficionado anyone?

(With all due my respect, pardon my weak grammar please, I am no native English commander.)
    I have no idea why but wearing guys' clothes has been killing me, especially fast fashion brands like Adidas, Abecrombie, Hollister, Uniqlo, alike. No shops sell short-short pants for guys, because people think exposed "limb", tseticles and hideous leg muscles and hairs are hideous, right? Every dudes' clothes in these days makes wearer much more manly and that devastates me. Thus very cute, girly, and juvenile clothes such as AUTHENTIC FEMALE kimonos(yukatas), cute panties like shimapan(Japanese striped cute panties), obsolete Japanese school swimsuits(skoomizu) or at least very short pleated skirts or dresses full of frills and ribbons have come to my attention. Yes, they can be seen in doujins or animes, but I gave up watching mangas or animes long ago. Most of them are full of phobia and obsolete fixed gender roles. The only reason to still browse pixiv (doujin site) is learn about those juvenile fashions....

Yeah, so I have been googling and googling to find them. But reality sucks.
    Since there are very handful of colossal women in Japan

Proportion of colossal women in Japan
    180cm 17-year-old gal … 0.1 ‰
    181cm 17-year-old gal … 0.1 ‰
    182cm 17-year-old-gal … 0.1 ‰
    183cm 17-year-old-gal … 0.1 ‰

Practically no online shops sell larger than 5L sized Kimonos or yukatas can cover women taller than 6ft.
    There might be some larger ones but they are just baits attract tourists who are unaware of real kimonos.
    Likewise, general big-sized female clothes are too mundane, plain and characterless, whether they are Japanese clothes or western clothes.
    In here Korea, 90% of female clothes are brown, grey(pigeon color, rat color), black.....I will kill myself if I should look like mice.

As for underwear, online Japanese souvenir shops sell shimapans for men but I am unsure if they are functioning as real underwear.

Many people just say go find some tailors.....where? where can I find less bigot tailors?
    I do not know how Japanese people think, they always hide something.....
    They act very kindly in front of me but who knows if they scorn me while they sew something for me?

Finding tailors or reverse-engineering clothes and sew mine-Are they only solutions?

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    Hong Kong. They make anything for anyone, at cheap prices.

Good luck!
    I used to have a short attention spa

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkilovesdresses View Post
    Hong Kong. They make anything for anyone, at cheap prices.

Good luck!
    Sounds interesting. I think there are many Japanese culture fans in there?

What an interesting and different cultural perspective...

I'm supposing you are in South Korea (can't see this getting through the state firewall somehow...) but this:

In here Korea, 90% of female clothes are brown, grey(pigeon color, rat color), black
    made me think of the North...

I'm surprised you don't have the same flexibility in tailoring in Korea - but I can support Nikki's comments about Hong Kong, or Taipei if that's easier to get to - plenty of custom tailors who are willing to do anything for anyone...

Good luck with your search...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    I love clothing that is other than regular western attire. Occasionally, I'll find things at the thrift shop that are irresistible. I can barely squeeze in to these kimonos and I'm pretty skinny. The pink one is labeled L and the blue, XL. Both were made in Vietnam and are cotton/polyester blend.

kimonos.JPG
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

They look closer to Qi Pao (Chinese traditional outfit) I think.
    Female Kimonos require very complex wearing procedures and myriad components generally.
    Still simplified version of Female Yukatas require some components make clothes look good but they are easier to wear.
    Men's Kimonos and Yukatas are hell of easy to wear but like I say they make wearer pretty mundane.
    Colors are pretty restricted so too bright/feminine colors cannot be used.

yande.re 310044 sample k kimono kusanagi_izumo male sake suoh_mikoto tagme totsuka_tatara.jpg

yande.re 306568 sample calendar girls_und_panzer yukata.jpg

upper image shows male yukatas
    while lower image shows female yukatas.
    as you see, you'll need to fold it once thus finding right size is important
    but as I mentioned I don't think niche marketing is dominant in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Katey888 View Post
    What an interesting and different cultural perspective...

I'm supposing you are in South Korea (can't see this getting through the state firewall somehow...) but this:

made me think of the North...

I'm surprised you don't have the same flexibility in tailoring in Korea - but I can support Nikki's comments about Hong Kong, or Taipei if that's easier to get to - plenty of custom tailors who are willing to do anything for anyone...

Good luck with your search...

Katey x
    North? Heck no but people try to look older or imitate once-fad western styles.

No offence but I do hope Chinese artesans do not make kimono like AoDai or QiPao....
    Last edited by Sandra; 02-22-2015 at 04:54 AM. Reason: merged consecutive posts, please read the rules about multiposting

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimonogirl View Post
    They look closer to Qi Pao (Chinese traditional outfit) I think.
    - They are! (I'm ethnic Chinese myself and have at least one of those from what I can only assume is a Singaporean brand.)

I can attest to Katey referencing Taipei though, there are plenty of custom tailors there. That being said, I do think the flexibility in tailoring might well be due to the entrenchment of gender roles.

and on annother note ,when I was still in alaska I would go to mad myrnas in anchorage for the trans shows and a lot of guys would show up in kilts ,great way to wear a skirt so to say and not as well with no one the wiser
    hugs phyli

You may want to try this site: http://www.goodorient.com/

Mostly what they seem to carry is Cheongsam and Quipao, but they do take custom measurements. (not inexpensive, though).
    "We don't see things as they are; we see things as we are." Anais Nin

Quote Originally Posted by phylis anne View Post
    and on annother note ,when I was still in alaska I would go to mad myrnas in anchorage for the trans shows and a lot of guys would show up in kilts ,great way to wear a skirt so to say and not as well with no one the wiser
    hugs phyli
    Kilt?! I would wear AUTHENTIC Sarafan, Dirndl, Bunad instead....

Quote Originally Posted by DorothyElizabeth View Post
    You may want to try this site: http://www.goodorient.com/

Mostly what they seem to carry is Cheongsam and Quipao, but they do take custom measurements. (not inexpensive, though).
    Samples in the site worry me, no offence. Most of them did NOT look like authentic clothes.....?!

Quote Originally Posted by OverTheStarlight View Post
    - They are! (I'm ethnic Chinese myself and have at least one of those from what I can only assume is a Singaporean brand.)

I can attest to Katey referencing Taipei though, there are plenty of custom tailors there. That being said, I do think the flexibility in tailoring might well be due to the entrenchment of gender roles.
    When I visit Taipei, I'll bring blue print patterns of female yukata so tailors makes ones closer to authentic stuffs.... Thank you
    Last edited by Sandra; 02-22-2015 at 04:55 AM. Reason: merged consecutive posts, please read the rules about multiposting and quoting posts