Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions from a doctor

Questions from a doctor

My wife went to a new doctor on Friday, and the doctor asked her, "When was the last time you were really happy?" My wife was slow in answering, and the doctor said "Thanks, but I already know what I need to know."

When my wife got home, she asked me the same question. I was also slow in answering and my wife repeated her doctor's response to me.

However, I really did have an answer; but it was something I couldn't say to my wife.

"When was the last time I was really happy?" My answer is, "The last time I was out crossdressed."

How do you say that to an unaccepting wife?
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Did you ask you wife what her answer to the doctor was?

Quote Originally Posted by Sometimes Steffi View Post
    "When was the last time I was really happy?" My answer is, "The last time I was out crossdressed."

How do you say that to an unaccepting wife?
    With difficulty. BUT say it you must. It needs to be said within the context of another more important discussion i.e. what is your relationship with your wife.

An essentially complete stranger within 30 mins has identified that your wife is unhappy in her life. You have basically confirmed to your wife that she no longer makes you happy. "Thanks, but I already know what I need to know", they are not the doctors words, they are your wife's to you.

I desperately hope I am wrong but I fear you have much work to do in your relationship with your wife.

Best Wishes

Repeat after me: "Just now, when you came home darling"

Dressing does not make me happy in the same way that spending time with wife and family does.

It is a sin to tell a lie but you do need to stretch the point sometimes.

I tell a lot of untruths.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by bridget thronton View Post
    Dressing does not make me happy in the same way that spending time with wife and family does.
    I could not have said it better. Being happy and being at peace with myself are not the same thing. I am peace when I dress, I am happy when mucking around & having fun with my wife and daughter. No contest between the two.

hi Steffi, crossdressing is what I do,it dose not make me happy, some times it confuses me, but I have acceped it. my wife has been passed for a while now, NOW that women made me happy, her whole being, the way she looked, acted , walked ,the feel and scent of her body next to mine. for me that was happieness, like the old song said there aint no sunshine since your gone, only dark days fill my life. Steffi be carful with this hugs lynda

Banned Read only
    Steffi,
    The answer I gave my wife was being allowed to dress and clean the house while she was at home, OK staying out of the way in the bedroom for a couple of hours ! Maybe not the answer she wanted to hear, I guess I should have said the last time we went for a meal !

Gone to live my life
    Hi Steffi,

Firstly a doctor who thinks they can sum the true happiness of an individual with a single questions IMHO is a bit of a quack. The human condition of happiness is multifaceted and putting someone on the spot with a knee jerk question like "When was the last time you were happy" is poppycock at best. Many things make us happy. I love laughing with my wife because her laugh makes me happy. I love skydiving because it makes me happy on a different level and yes . . . I love dressing because it also makes me happy on a different level. However, perception is everything and unfortunately it appears you wife may have honed in this one person's comment as a true marker of one's happiness and she now equates that to you.

IMHO, you need to sit down with your wife and discuss what makes you happy in life. Yes, dressing may be one of those things but I am sure there are other aspects of your life, ones you share with her that make you happy. Happiness is not an "all in" on one aspect but can spread across the full spectrum of your life. Make her understand that your silence did not mean you are not happy with her just that in some aspects of your life you could be happier.

Hugs

Isha

hi steffi be very carefull and sensitive to her needs , if you want to keep hold of her,
    please listen to her and compromise, communication is critical, i have been there twice,
    good luck

Sounds like a crib sheet for a scientology test.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

Platinum Member
    If asked, it was this morning when I got up, made coffee and scratched my golden retriever's chin. Or right now.

As was asked above, Were you curious how your wife might have answered? I would want to know how she might have responded.
    Last edited by kimdl93; 02-22-2015 at 08:35 AM.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

lynda,i have recently lost my wife,i guess i didnt realize how much that woman did for me.she always asked if i needed or wanted anything when she was out shopping(any thing feminine) the only thing she ever asked is i dont dress up and make love while dressed.as far as i am concerned she was a saint,she always said i was her whole life,and what ever she wanted,she usually got.ireally miss that woman,there is no finding a replacement.

Hi
    I'm not going to sugar coat it but you were just PUT ON A GOVERNMENT watch list buy that doctor !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hi charlene2 if you ever want to talk , please pm me . love hugs lynda

"When was the last time you were really happy?"

Define really happy; laughing your face off at a comedian, enjoying a great meal out with family and friends, gaining a promotion at work. I think a better question would be, "are you truly content with your life?". That to me speaks more about having a loving family around you, friends you can count on, not having something in your life that causes you continual despair or angst.

If I were to be asked the question, "When was the last time you were really happy?", I'd have to stop and think but I would also if asked, "When was the last time you were really unhappy?". In terms of my CD'ing it would be a happy day if I were able to come out of the closet to family if not friends and not risk all. Does being in the closet make me unhappy? If out and being able to express my fem side more freely my Doc asked me, "When was the last time you were really happy?", I don't think the answer would be any different to what I'd give now. No, life's full of imperfections and we learn to live with those.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Good thread & interesting responses to the eternal happiness question / practice.

I have to second Isha and chelyann's comments. I have never had a doctor ask if I were happy. How do I feel or what seems to be the problem or where does it hurt? Yes.
    And, with the health system interconnected now to Washington, who knows?
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread

I believe life servers us the ability to happy and unhappy.
    Never met a person who was totally happy all the time...if so, there would be something weired about that person.

Being in the closet, does cause me anxiety. Then again, being out of the closet, might well present alternate issues.

Well said.
    Being happy vs being at peace!!!
    I do acquire a different sort of inner peace with dressed. However, we (as people) were not meant to be alone.

My wife was asked whether she ever suffers from depression. It was asked by the nurse prior to the doctors arrival. She felt it was a clinic wide push for new scripts or likely some other way of upselling her.
    We unfortunately feel that doctors are also salesmen and are suspicious of their motives for recommending expensive tests at the most expensive testing facilities.

Aspiring drama queen Isabella Ross's Avatar
    Despite what Isha and anyone else says, any doctor worth his or her salt is absolutely concerned with your happiness and should ask. Health is physical and mental...and very much intertwined. If your doctor doesn't care if you're happy, find another one. And Chelyann, check outside your window...there are government spies in your garden.

Platinum Member
    Actually, primary professionals are expected to include at least an inquiry into their patients mental health. It's not about selling meds, it's about providing care to the whole person.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Silver Member
    I'm with Isha and I'd add the "thanks, I already have my answer" is rude and very dismissive! Did you wife, by chance wait a long time to see the doc? I know if that was my situation I would have said I was really happy the last time a doctor was on time, and that would not be today!
    To me it is such a cold call type of question that could be answered so many ways and simply not having the answer on the tip of her tongue means nothing.
    I think she needs to look for yet another doc.