Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: $$$$!!!!! Crossdressing is expensive! Any money saving tricks?

Still CDing is so much less expensive than Warhammer 40000 tabletop game I think?

Platinum Member
    Hi Ophelia, Cruse the clearance racks.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

The don't purge thing most of all. The money spent on underclothing alone I spend small fortunes on if I purge... lol I joined NoNonsense for bulk deals on Hosiery and leggings. Amazon for other things. The main thing is find out your sizes, what works for you, then keep an eye out for sales or look for discounts like buy one get one free, etc. Ross Dress for Less, Payless Shoes. Hips and Curves has good deals as well, very nice for an online outlet.

Beverley Sims, your post made me laugh! I think I spent too much on feminine presents for myself, also. After all, a gurl needs a female winter coat, boots, dress heels, and of course a new frock.

Banned Read only
    First, I don't purge. I am too cheap to do that.

Anyway, as folks have said thrift shops and sales. To me, a sale has to be around 30% or more to get me interested. There are many online vintage and used clothing sites. Some of the vintage sites have a good idea of what they have and sometimes prices are medium to approaching the upper end. But others, often the used clothing sites with older but less rare pieces, offer items at quite reasonable prices.

So, between thrift shops and vintage/used online sites:

• vintage/used terry cloth summer dress, mid-calf = $7
    • used leather maxi skirt = $10
    • used suede maxi skirt = $8
    • used blazer = $6
    • used satin blouse, long sleeve = $4
    • vintage Butte Knit dress, long sleeve, knee length = $40
    • used sweater dress = $8
    • silk scarf, 8"x60" = $1

Online, brick & mortar retailers:
    • BORN heels (3 pair) = 35% discount
    • Simply Vera chiffon dress = $20
    • Coldwater Creek cocktail dress = $15 (going out of business sale)
    • TravelSmith faux suede jacket & pants (avatar at the left) = $15

Ebay/Amazon:
    • NineWest wedge slides (3 pair) = 60% discount

Anyway, there are deals to be had but it takes time and patience. I have to fight that a lot because often there's something that I "must have", but I have to keep telling myself to either find it at a significant discount or forget about it...

DeeAnn
    Last edited by flatlander_48; 02-27-2015 at 06:36 AM.

Gone to live my life
    Hi Ophelia,

There are certain trappings we need as CDers to make the illusion complete such as clothing, make-up, wig, as well as padding/breast forms (if that is your thing) so there is going to be an expense. For me, I take a pragmatic approach to dressing in the same manner I do with boy me in that I have what I realistically need. For example, I own a few dresses which were all bought on sale and before I buy, I always ask myself do I need 15 sequined gowns which I may or may not wear, or do I need 20 pairs of heels or 30 pairs of undies. I am a part-timer in that I do present "en femme" in the world about 40 percent of the time so my wardrobe is functional to that point. If I were full time then my wardrobe might up things a bit but would still be functional and practical.

Now before anyone jumps down my throat, I am not saying a large wardrobe is a bad thing if that is what you are into. For me, I would prefer not to spend money on things I might wear once or twice and save it for other things in my life.

Hugs

Isha

Banned Read only
    SHOP GOOD WILL and aquire lots of female friends i find LOTS of GOOD designer stuff in GOOT TO GREAT CONDITION at good will

Aspiring Member
    Have your basics: long black pencil skirt, beige skirt, white top, black top, beige top. Black and beige heels. That's all you will need. Really. And then you can go crazy on inexpensive accessories. heaps and heaps of them from shawls and scarves to handbags. Do check out Kryolan's sales. I swear by that makeup brand. It is not makeup. It is beauty technology! I love thrift stores. But there again, I stick to buying the basics only. This works if your style is classic - like Kim Kardashian.

Absolutely do not purge. First and foremost purging does nothing but cost money that will have to be spent again when the pink fog hits and it always does.

Seriously, shop like a woman on a budget and you will be fine. Salvation Army and Goodwill are great. You have to go regularly as inventory turns over but you can find great buys. I also love resale shops. I have a wonderful Eddie Bauer denim skirt. $52 retail at Macy's. $38 on sale at Kohls. $20 on Ebay. $11 at my favorite resale store where I bought it. Found a second one at Goodwill with more wear for $5 would have bought it too but it was the wrong size but it gives you an idea of how the same item can be purchased for less money. You do have to be patient but who doesn't like to shop. I only have a couple of dresses, but I do have about 10 skirts that I mix and match with about the same number of tops. As they wear out I replace. Since I underdress panties are my everyday underwear, cami's slips, shapewear, and panty hose get their fair share of wear and are very practical in the winter. I do not wear men's long underwear in the winter, just some lovely tights serve the purpose so as long as I enjoy the item and put it to good use, i am comfortable spending the money.

I guess I agree with Isha, I like my wardrobe to be functional and since I come home from work and dress in the evenings and on weekends I get a lot of wear from my female clothes. If having a lot of things is important to you great, have at it. If you want to save money, just approach it from a practical point of view.

I should mention that my wife commented to me one day that at least my crossdressing was way cheaper than my fishing hobby. SUV, boat, trailer, fishing gear, trips to Canada, Very expensive.

Hugs
    Ellen Jo
    Last edited by EllenJo; 02-25-2015 at 06:36 AM.
    Somtimes the light's all shining on me, Other times I can barely see.
    Lately it's occured to me.....What a long strange trip it has been.
    Truckin by the Grateful Dead

Some of my best clothing has come to me free from my wife and her sister (who is very close to my size) and our girlfriends. Scored two cute skirts yesterday, from our retired fashion model girlfriend, thinning her closet in my direction. The flow of freebies is two-way too, when we thin our bulging wardrobes. Learn your sizes and measurements, mix and match what you already have, and as the others say, don't purge. Starting over is the most expensive.

Aspiring Member
    As an extreme case, almost all 'my' clothing was handed down from relatives (Mom included, without her knowledge) who no longer wanted them (and are, as far as I know, unaware of my hobby). As such, most of my wardrobe is slightly outdated by various decades.

I recently found myself a place – Bugis St, Singapore – where I could find all I wanted for an extremely low price (US$8 for a blouse, US$5 for a pair of short shorts , or in one exceptional case, US$12 for a gown with built-in bra and side cuts, anyone?!). So far only brought one petticoat (US$24) home when nobody was around. Otherwise, hand-me-downs galore on my part.

Much of your typical CD's cost will be on wigs, paddings and breast forms (preferably long-lasting ones), as well as make-up which is an expendable. (I did see one long wig for US$32, though. Never got to actually buy it.)

If I do manage to acquire a wardrobe of my own entirely from Bugis Street alone (including special-occasion dresses and daily wear), I reckon I'd still spend less than the total amount I invested into my guitars.

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Thrift store madness.

-or-

-Use mashed potatoes instead of expensive silicone for breast forms.
    -Have fishnets, garter belt, panties, bra and makeup tattooed on.
    -Claim everything at the laundrymat lost and found pile.
    -Use colored plastic tape as inexpensive eye shadow and lipstick.
    -Join an online dating site and find a woman that is your exact size.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Crossdresser-At-Large BillieAnneJean's Avatar
    I use primer and foundation from ULTA. The primer is never very cheap but I do get the foundation on sale for $5.00.
    Nail polish is Wet and Wild for about a buck.
    Powder is Wet and Wild for under $4.
    Lipstick is same company for about $3.
    Powder, liner, shadow, everything else same manufacturer and no problems after two and a half years.
    Buy a couple of decent wigs, do not waste money on the $20 wigs. Buy one for $80 at a decent wig shop and you will be much happier.
    Shoes on sale at Shoe Carnival BOGO $15 for the first pair, $7.50 for the second.
    Overall I am happier with the clothes I have found at Goodwill than the new stuff from Macys, Pennys, Younkers, Kohls, etc. Much more variety. I have been altering them, taking in a waist, hemming them up, taking in a dress. It really is easy because I am not interviewing for a job or trying to attract anyone.
    So you can do this for less, you just have to put some effort in to it. It is a trade off.
    My avatar picture is a Goodwill blazer $6 and skirt $3, and sale shoes $15
    Oh and by the way, eat out at an inexpensive places.

This is SUCH FUN!
    BillieAnneJean
    Last edited by BillieAnneJean; 02-25-2015 at 08:52 AM.

Measure twice, purchase wise.

Which I always promise myself and then by the time I realize, the item is bought. But really, if you know your sizes and shop online where proper sizing charts are available, you will reduce the false purchases.

Check your stuff regularly for unworn or not fitting items

...and resell them on ebay or the local similar markets. Even if 30-50% returns at least you have funds for a next buy.

MIDI warrior princess Amy Fakley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlaWestin View Post
    -Use mashed potatoes instead of expensive silicone for breast forms

You got me. Almost blew coffee out my nose!
    Well done! :-)
    "Why shouldn't art be pretty? There are enough unpleasant things in the world." -Pierre-Auguste Renoir

Banned Read only
    Others have mentioned breast forms. A long time ago I made my own breast forms by putting barley between layers of fabric in good skin-tone bra. It worked so well that when I visited a breast form fitter last year the rep said that what I had made for myself looked better on me. She suggested that it might be cooler as well. I can add or subtract grain if I want to be change the size of the ladies.
    So: Bra: $5.99 at Value Village.
    Barley: 2 cups: 50 cents at Bulk Barn.
    Last edited by ophelia; 02-25-2015 at 10:06 AM.

Aspiring Member
    Speaking of breast forms I'm still stuck with face towels (though not to save costs but to avoid exposure to others' radars).

Needless to say, this results in this kind of situation:
    Corset and bustle skirt, matching thong - US$28
    Wig - pre-owned hand me down
    Stockings - US$7
    Heels - US$20 on sale
    Sight of face towels spilling out of corset - negative infinity

Quote Originally Posted by ophelia View Post
    So: Bra: $5.99 at Value Village.
    Barley: 2 cups: 50 cents at Bulk Barn.
    This pretty much made my day.
    Last edited by Lily Catherine; 02-25-2015 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Merging replies on hindsight.

Neanderthal in nylons Julie Denier's Avatar
    Shop eBay, and never pay full retail. When you wear a size 15, shoes are the biggest challenge :P

Banned Read only
    This just in: After seeing responses to my post "Bras for Bums". Stephanies'secret sent me to a website for butt shaping panties. Aha! So I did some exploratory cheek surgery on a high-waisted panty girdle and....wow!
    Smooth tuck in the front, full sail in the back...I'm off for some field testing.

Dear Julie, I know what you mean with challenge with 15...

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Denier View Post
    Shop eBay, and never pay full retail. When you wear a size 15, shoes are the biggest challenge :P

hi there
    I've made quite a few bargains on amazon in the shoe dept
    but apart from that i don't try to save ,its for me and I'm worth it
    I've got a lot of catching up to do

My wife uses and sells Mary K cosmetics (so do I). Since she is an agent, we do joint orders and get her discount and it is significant.
    joank
    Southern California

These days I've become addicted to shopping on amazon. You can find so much stuff on there for cheap, and the best part is the shipping is fast, discrete, and free thanks to my prime account! I've never been one for thrift stores since I can't stand the smell of mothballs, although there can be some good finds there. target.com is also great too!

Quality makeup is worth the extra money from experience. The only thing I can offer that isn't just saying going to thrift stores is be patient with collecting what you need. That might take the sting out of buying what you need.

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    I have found the nicest skirts, boots, and ballet flats at thrift stores. Granted that selection in sizes is very hit and miss, but the hits are HITS. In the "half off area" I got a pair of chunky heeled thigh-high boots for fifty cents with one very minor scuff on the back side of one of the heels. Also found skirts there for a dollar or less.

Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".