Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: $$$$!!!!! Crossdressing is expensive! Any money saving tricks?

Silver Member
    It also depends on your sizes. If you have big feet, you will pay much more (and have far less selection) than someone who falls within the range of most GGs.

Once you know your sizes, try eBay or Amazon. You can get what you need on those sites for less than in stores if you look around. You can also find things not available in stores, like larger size rings and bracelets, and large size shoes.

I went on a shopping spree on lightinthebox recently and got a lot of cute clothes there for super cheap, like under $20 that makes CDing somewhat affordable

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy Fakley View Post

You got me. Almost blew coffee out my nose!
    Well done! :-)
    Ah, yes! Mission accomplished! Let's have coffee sometime. I'll wear nice sexey lingerie under my clear raincoat.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

I'm wishing to be her SANDRA MICHELLE's Avatar
    Just quit buying any guy clothes and that will save some money, no sense having guy clothes when you can wear pretty girl clothes.
    I want to be this girl!

A couple ways I've been saving money is letting my hair grow longer so as to forego buying a wig, at least at this point in time. The other way isn't intentional but I've always had larger than average breasts for a male, which was something that used to embarrass me but not anymore. That, combined with being a bit on the plus size and using a push-up bra give me a decent size bust so I save from having to buy forms.

One other thing I keep in mind is to avoid impulse buying while shopping online. If I see something I really like, I usually will wait a couple of days and see if I still really want it once the fog has lifted. Most of the time the items aren't something that I couldn't live without or aren't as good as I originally thought they were.

Jessie~☆

Quote Originally Posted by SANDRA MICHELLE View Post
    Just quit buying any guy clothes and that will save some money, no sense having guy clothes when you can wear pretty girl clothes.
    That is a great point, In the last 2 years I have only bought girl clothes. The only thing male I wear anymore is shirts. The slack I wear to work on average cost less than what I would pay for guy slacks.

I shop at places like Burlington Coat Factory and have found a lot of great deals. Also, I dress en femme a lot, so I wear the girl clothes I buy.

Now I like MAC makeup, which can be expensive, but I feel it is worth it. In over the last year and a half I have become more efficient in the use of makeup, so I am not buying it as often.

Also in the last 14 months I have managed to save more money than I have ever saved previously in the time span of 14 months.

yes, the bigger the feet, the bigger the problem

Quote Originally Posted by Vickie_CDTV View Post
    It also depends on your sizes. If you have big feet, you will pay much more (and have far less selection) than someone who falls within the range of most GGs.

Once you know your sizes, try eBay or Amazon. You can get what you need on those sites for less than in stores if you look around. You can also find things not available in stores, like larger size rings and bracelets, and large size shoes.

Banned Read only
    The thrift or charity shops seem a big hit here. I find that consignment stores are good if you watch for sales which can bring things close to second hand prices. Value Village has a club you can join for sales updates.

Banned Read only
    While we may not always say it, I suspect that everyone has at least somewhat of a thought process that they apply to assembling a wardrobe. But, I also suspect that it may not be constant as sometimes folks find things in their wardrobes that are not really useful. Anyway, I think my perspective on things may be a bit different from most.

My wardrobe, both male and female, has never been very trendy. You may find a piece every now and then, but usually trendy is something that I avoid. Back in the days when I actually dressed up for work, it was worsted wool suits, oxford cloth button down shirts and ties were anything goes. The prevailing thought was timeless and classic: suits were Glen Plaid patterns, solid olive or tan colors, shirts were blue, yellow, pink, lilac and ties were a cacophony of paisleys or stripes of whatever else. The statement was in the strength of the colors and not in the basic design.

My female wardrobe is similar: timeless and classic. The clothes themselves are simple in style with occasional patterns, various textures and bright colors. The anything goes part is done with scarves and jewelry. One of the byproducts of simple design and bright solid colors is that it is much easier to coordinate. Multi-color patterns can be difficult to coordinate (which doesn't bother me) and time-consuming to find just the right match (that does bother me!).

The size of a wardrobe has a bearing on durability. These days, I dress fairly casually for work; often in jeans but in black, dark brown, etc. Out of 8 pair between Carhart and Lands' End, only one is a traditional medium blue. I tend to wash the jeans after 2 wearings. It it weren't for sheer numbers, that would be pretty hard on the material. Even though I wash them on a Gentle cycle and they are inside-out, it's possible to lose color and show signs of being threadbare surprisingly quickly. Some of the jeans are 6-8 years old and probably look to go another 5 before being retired to more mundane duties.

The same size principle applies to my female wardrobe. Even though I'm only going out dressed once a month currently, I dress at home 2-3 times per week and often in the same outfits that I might wear outside. Items that require dry cleaning are usually excluded from this rotation. What is helpful about wearing the same items at home is that you get to feel what it's like to wear an outfit for an extended period of time, how it moves, how you move in it, how it looks, etc. It's a chance to get comfortable with it before you wear it outside. I think this is important for those of us who don't have decades of history with dressing.

Lastly, right now my guess is that about 80% of my wardrobe is at least 5 years old and 35+ years at the other end. Unless you are very knowledgeable about clothing, you would be hard pressed to make an accurate guess. Buying used and/or vintage can be a very good tool for keeping costs down.

DeeAnn

well, truth be told, I have cheaper "hobbies" but all and all it's not too bad. I shop at the Salvation Army stores quite a lot. I also hit the Walmart's and Kmart's. Kmart usually has AWESOME sales!!!! Kohl's, but I never seem to catch the sales right there.
    And let's not forget DSW for the best shoes under $20!!!!! my wife doesn't approve, so when I have an extra $40 or $50 i'll stop and get a couple things here and there. the real problem, is keeping it out of my wife's sight.
    "Life is Always a Bed of Roses........ Sometimes it's All Flowers, and Other Times, It's All Thorns!!!!"

Luv, Jessica XOXO

Its simple don't go out to stores that sell women's clothing....which is near impossible!
    Just a girl fronm Long Island, NY .... always looking to meet others from my area.

I wait for sales , old navy always has great prices. Learners and Charlotte Ruse I wait for end of season sales.

Thrift shops as everyone said but for "commodities" like stockings/breastforms/etc always online, you can save TONS.
    Stockings and body stockings from chinese sites are sooooo cheap!

Banned Read only
    All of those mentioning Thrift/Charity Shops take a giant curtsey! Who can guess how much good public has come from our charity shopping purchases?

Banned Read only
    The thing is that there are so many different organizations that have shops: churches, schools, disability groups, etc. You can literally choose what you would liike to support...

DeeAnn

You can save real money by shopping online in the clearance section of the website. It helps to be patient and check back often. You can find dresses for $20 or less and bras for $15 or less. I even saw some bras for $5 today on the OneHanesPlace site. Check out the clearance section of Kohl's or JCPenneys.