Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone sew?

Does anyone sew?

I have the house to myself tonight. Threw on some comfy clothes and enjoyed the evening. I decided I wanted wanted to make a pillow so I pulled out the old sewing machine and made one. Went to town and bought the material and stuffing. Put it together but wanted to put a fine zipper on the top. How do you sew in a zipper?

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    I really want to learn to sew, but I know very little of the basics. It would also really help with my military uniforms for me to learn more.
    But sorry, cannot help you on how to sew in a zipper.
    Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I do a lot of repairs, etc. But, only with needle and thread. I'd love to learn to machine sew.

If my internet connection goes down for a few days? I'll try to figure it out!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    I took a sewing class a couple of years ago. You might search your area for sewing classes.
    Dana Ryan

Two ways to put in the zipper. First is to put it in before you star sew the rest together The second is to fold the fabric as close to the zipper with the pillow inside out, then sew along the fold. The second is more of a kludge, but it works in a jam. I usually use that technique when I'm repairing pants or something I can't turn inside out.
    Facebook - Debbie Lawrence
    Web - [URL="http://www.debbieballard.org"]DebbieBallard.org{/URL]
    See also:
    Open4Success

Newbie needing advice
    I have done alot of hand sewing in the past.

I have found myself looking at some of my skirts and thought that I should get a zipper put on the split as I like tighter fitting clothing and dream of wearing it much more often, at the moment am Very New to this and only now coming out.

Banned Read only
    Tammy, I made a tight taffeta skirt by hand and the tricky bit was sewing the zip in !

I bought a reasonable electric machine for my wife many years ago and the store offered free lessons, my wife didn't take them up , but I was so tempted ! I bought a dress using the correct size guide and when it arrived it was two sizes too big, so I bit the bullet and taught myself to use it so I could shorten the hem and reduce the waist, which was tricky as the skirt had box pleats to alter as well ! I made the mistake of forgetting to remove the lower bobbin and so my wife knew something had been going on as she didn't have that shade of blue in her sewing box !
    Last edited by Teresa; 02-28-2015 at 06:12 AM.

GG, SO to Pamela7
    This is too big a subject for someone who sews to answer in a few short sentences! It all depends on the type of zipper, the type of fabric, whether or not your sewing machine has a zipper foot, whether you want to make an invisible zip or if you want the teeth to show... lots of choices.

Looking on youtube for a tutorial would be a good move, and I am happy to talk anyone through specific issues if you want to contact me directly. Just send me a pm.

I could learn but......will men's pattern size calculations apply to cute clothes such as very short pleated skirts/yukatas/shimapans/see-through white summer dresses as well?

I love to hand stitch, always have since having to do it during my military years. Another 'feminine' trait that peeked out eventually. So many coming out.., how could I be so dense most of my life?

Several suggestions.... First there are a ton of videos on Youtube on sewing, everything from the very basics on up. Fabric is cheap. Go to Fabric.com and you can get anything you want . Sewing machines are available from places like Overstock.com . Janome is a good brand. As far as patterns are concerned, you can download many. The idea is that when you start, you WILL make mistakes, BUT that is not bad, it's how you learn. Do some research and go for it !

Diane

A quick search found this excellent tutorial: http://www.makeit-loveit.com/2011/10...ic-zipper.html.

Reading it, I remembered that this is the way my Mom taught me to sew zippers. She made all her own clothes and many of mine. For a while, I was her try on model so she could measure the hem for her dresses. I spent ages helping her in her sewing room. Ah, the fond memories.

Rhonda
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Be all the woman that you can be!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    . . . and now, On With The Show!

GG, SO to Pamela7
    Kimonogirl, if you are not sure about the conversion from men's sizes to ladies, then the usual thing to do is get some cheap, thin fabric that has about the same amount of stretch as the one you want to use for the final piece, and make a test garment. That way, if you need to make any alterations you can mark them up on the practice piece and apply them to the final one later.

I sew, have been doing it for ages on and off.

Results are borderline disasters usually.
    I get by though.
    A zipper? Sew inside out hat usually works for me.

Replaced a few on skirts and dresses.

Did a reasonable job on widening a wedding dress once.

Even a dressmaker thought it was "not too bad".
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I love to sew but haven't done it in ages. I have made skirts, tops, pants even a jumpsuit once when they were in style.
    It is a great advantage to be able to modify patterns, especially lengthening the torso for a perfect fit.
    You Tube is the way to go to learn how to do anything. I learned by watching my mom when I was young and experimenting.
    You can learn anything if you want to badly enough. good luck with the zipper.

Jeri
    Last edited by Jeri Ann; 02-28-2015 at 02:20 PM.

Thanks for the link. That was helpful.

Aspiring Member
    I was taught by my mother when I was in my teens. Haven't sew with a machine for a long time.

Yes,
    I sure do sew, by hand and on sewing machine. Have done it since I was a little girl, . Watched my mom and have done it since then. Really enjoy it too.
    Hugs,
    Bree
    Brandy Mathews

My mom taught me to sew when I was a little kid, both hand and machine. I liked creating secret pockets inside my jackets. Now I mostly mend by hand.

Platinum Member
    Hi Tammy, I learned to sew 60yrs. ago when I was 12 and it has served me well all of these years.
    I started on an old Singer foot treadle sewing machine.
    Last edited by BLUE ORCHID; 03-01-2015 at 09:19 PM.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

My mother raised four boys, and firmly believed that ever child, regardless of gender, should know how to sew, darn a pair of socks, cook, iron, clean house and make a bed. Being the eldest, I got the full treatment. When I was in the ninth grade, she made me make a short sleeved button down collar oxford cloth white shirt, and wear it to school!! Well - you KNOW I wasn't about to screw THAT up, 'cause kids can be brutal. Since then I have made many of my own clothes and skirts, tote bags, blouses and vests for my wives and girlfriends. MY mother's machine was a 1932 Domestic. After mm died, we gave it to my niece, but I went out and purchased a Euro Shark that has a double needle system (if I care to use it). I also have my grandmother's Singer - one of the first electrics, that uses the long narrow, horizontal bobbin, like most of the treadle machines. It is handy for sewing heavy items, because it has a larger frame than most new home machines. I have used it to put a new floor in my 8X10 canvas tent, and a new zipper in my tenor saxophone rain cover. But I detest hand-sewing. I don't even like to replace buttons, let alone hem skirts or pants. And I have not darned a hole in a sock since I went into the Navy in 1963, where I also learned how to iron and how to make a bed. (Some D.I. statements are never forgotten. "I'm only going to say this once, slime balls. There are three ways to do things: the right way, the wrong way, and the Navy way. I don't care about the first two. When I tell you to do something, you will do it the Navy way, and damned smartly. Now everybody drop and give me fifty. Last man finished does fifty more.")
    "We don't see things as they are; we see things as we are." Anais Nin

My dad was a mechanic who did embroidery to keep his fingers nimble. When I was in scouting he taught me to hand sew simple things like mending my uniforms & replacing buttons. In college I taught myself to machine sew to make a kite for fun. Knowing how has served me well many times through my life to make shirts, pants, quilts, skirts, & kites, fix coats, gloves, tents, & more. It's great to know!

Rhonda, thanks for the link. That's by far the easiest way I've seen to put in a zipper on a new piece.
    Last edited by SometimesJen; 03-02-2015 at 12:57 AM. Reason: cell phone typo

The directions used to come with the zipper.

I'm sure you can find instructions on U-tube.
    Last edited by char GG; 03-03-2015 at 09:56 PM.

I have been learning to sew over the last two years and love it. The Internet seems like the easiest way to learn how to put in a zipper. I have been using a book called S.EW., Sew Everything Workshop, and I definately recommend it to anyone wanting to learn. ��

I bought a sewing machine 35 years ago to make some canvas boat awnings and cushions, and never looked back. It's not that hard.