Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Middle aged, married, white male

Quote Originally Posted by Katey888 View Post
    Kristina - you are our future...
    We're DOOMED...
    I got that good girl faith and a tight little skirt.
    ~Kristina~

The observation is based on who participates in the forums and not the vastly bigger number who just reads them.

would be honored to be considered middle aged,
    but from what i found in my state from those i reached out too we represent a good variety of the populace, but we have some diversity....

my angst here is the sheer number of folks that i welcome that we never here from or see posting after the initial intro....im sure some are better suited to other sites...
    and for obvious reasons the initial 10 post rule keeps creeps away but iv felt that those who have their instant messaging and sharing tied to all their devices get spooked when the CD.com e-mails start popping up and folks bail right away (i once started a thread about this)....I wondered how many get outed that way....
    ....Mykell
    i dressed like a girl and i liked it! crossdressing...theirs an app for that

Banned Read only
    LL:

Interesting observation and a couple of things come to mind. One is that while there are F2M activists out there, they don't seem to have the same degree of notoriety. Possible exception being Chaz Bono.

The second is that while, in general, transwomen are overrepresented regarding having violence visited upon them, they are underreported in terms of the media attention. The overrepresentation is painfully obvious when you look at the roll call for the Transgender Day of Remembrance.

Anyway, back to the original premise...

No, not quite the same demographic:
    Far side of middle aged, married (2x), bisexual Black male

66 as of the end of last year, 1st marriage was 30 years - 2nd will be 10 years in a few months, 2 grown children, 2 grandchildren

In terms of occupation, mechanical engineer closing in of 43 years. Lived in Taiwan for 6 years, worked in Korea for a couple of months, have worked with people from 21 different countries, have visited 7 countries plus Hong Kong (excluding Canada and Mexico) and extended domestic assignments in California, North Carolina, Kentucky, Maine, Texas and Illinois.

So, in some ways similar and in others, very different...

DeeAnn
    Last edited by flatlander_48; 03-02-2015 at 08:01 PM.

I used to be all that when I joined. Now I am over the hill, female and widowed. Still Caucasian (haven't been white in years).
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    I used to be all that when I joined. Now I am over the hill, female and widowed. Still Caucasian (haven't been white in years).
    Yeah, but that was just the makeup...

DeeAnn

Other than being single I guess I fit the thread title. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Candice Mae View Post
    I call bs on that, you just think society is more accepting because you have a broader social network due to technology.
    You can call BS if you like, however in the late 60s when I was in grade school, it was a crime for a man to dress up like a women. So, I do believe that society is more accepting. Maybe not to the degree that you would like, but it does not mean it is not more accepting.

I am fairly new to this board, mid 40's white married.ostly just dress in private, my SO is supportive but doesn't participate. I belong to another forum with 3,000 members, I would say about 300-500 active members.
    I haven't posted much here but have begun to read more, many here are far advanced than I am but there is much here for me to learn and explore, and know that I am not alone :-)

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by alwayshave View Post
    You can call BS if you like, however in the late 60s when I was in grade school, it was a crime for a man to dress up like a women. So, I do believe that society is more accepting. Maybe not to the degree that you would like, but it does not mean it is not more accepting.
    In New York State the law used to be that you had to wear at least 3 articles of clothing consistent with your sex at birth. Back in the Stonewall days, it was the excuse used for rousting crossdressers and drag queens...

DeeAnn

Quote Originally Posted by flatlander_48 View Post
    In New York State the law used to be that you had to wear at least 3 articles of clothing consistent with your sex at birth. Back in the Stonewall days, it was the excuse used for rousting crossdressers and drag queens...

DeeAnn
    Quote Originally Posted by alwayshave View Post
    This is absolutely ridiculous. LAWS governing what we can and cannot wear? Sorry, I just get into full Kristina Rage Mode when I hear about stuff like this.
    I got that good girl faith and a tight little skirt.
    ~Kristina~

Banned Read only

Middle aged, married, white male

that describes most serial killers, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Seana Summer View Post
    I bet a good number of lurkers are the older generation who are not comfortable enough with computers to post.
    This might be a good point. I am 70 yrs old and I don't believe any of my friends who are my age (OK maybe one) know anything about computers. Most don't even know how to turn one on and off. And they don't seem to have any interest in learning. I think it's sad. I'm enthusiastic and learn new things every day. I would not have had such a good career if I wasn't positive and enthusiastic. I actually became good enough to "out computer" some of the younger guys.

To complete the demographic, I'm 70, single (3 divorces), been CDng for 50 yrs, and looking forward to many more. Heck, I even believe that I will have one more SO in my life, if I can find someone who wants me the way I am - cuz I'll never stop being who I really am.

Anna
    My favorite dress is a Dirndl.

I think the younger, singles are out partying so late that they're too tired to muck around here.
    “Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing
    and rightdoing there is a field.
    I'll meet you there.” - Rumi.

Guess what -- white, middle aged male also describes the general population of online forum users, regardless of the subject matter. I've been doing this for almost 40 years now, starting with relatively closed mainframe messaging systems, and it hasn't changed much since then. We could just as well be gabbing about golf or Led Zeppelin. My guess is that we may be a slightly older crowd than the average, but not by any huge amount.

- Diane

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    If the demographics, guilty as charged.
    This makes me wonder if the younger crowd are using facebook and twitter more than us in the older generation. The fabric of the social network has changed and old habits die hard.
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Khora View Post
    This is absolutely ridiculous. LAWS governing what we can and cannot wear? Sorry, I just get into full Kristina Rage Mode when I hear about stuff like this.
    I don't know when the law was changed, but it is no longer the case in NYS.

DeeAnn

I will give you my opinion based on observation and have no data to back up my statement.
    Just from my discussions with a diverse number of people in the trans-gender community this is what I have determined.

Although the majority of us who are middle age crossdressers knew this about ourselves very early on.
    This is what I found to be consistent.

1. During your teens your finding yourself trying to figure out adulthood, gender discovery is not really on the front burner.
    2. In your 20s your dating and seeking that mate, working on the foundation of college or carrer.
    3. The 30s your either really engaged in your family life raising a family or nurturing your work.
    4 Sometimes between 35-45 you get the sense its finally time to revisit this gender thing and it really is nagging you there is more to you than just a guy.

I think in a nutshell all the distractions are removed and your mature enough to explore there is more to this than meets the eye. As you search you find a group such as this and discover your not alone. It opens your eyes to find the complete you.

That is my 2 cents
    Megan Martin

" some guys play golf, I play girl"

I'm wondering why we always feel the need to "pigeon hole" ourselves.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Quote Originally Posted by Lacey New View Post
    . So, if the percentage of men who crossdress is 3%, it seems as if our active membership should be something greater. Could the estimates be wrong!?
    You're assuming that every crossdresser has a need to write about it. One night at work I asked the people there how many participated in online discussion forums. No one knew what I was talking about. They knew about facebook, sure. But no one had ever heard of discussion forums on the net. And how many here even know of something called the usenet or newsgroups (same thing)? Probably only IT folks, and the younger ones have probably only heard about it, never gone on them. I now know ONE person at work that does, but she's a former IT person.
    Also, a great many of us were probably ashamed of our crossdressing, even after we found out that other guys do it. That too will prevent them from participating.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Aspiring Member
    White, 60 and currently single. I used to be on another Forum but no longer log in and occasionally lurk. I don't know why I am even here, a much nicer Forum, as I seem to have little in common with most members. I am heterosexual, never think of myself as a woman, and get no 'excitement' from dressing up, so a lot of the posts pass me by. I go out regularly with confidence, I have lots of clothes that work wonderfully for me - and which I try on happily as man or woman, am happy with how I look (which is good) but I do not pass at close quarters. I do not have problems with my cross-dressing or need advice, and when(as an old hat at this) I give advice, it tends to close down the thread. I suspect the Forum is not for people like me, but for some reason I persist.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by sometimes_miss View Post
    And how many here even know of something called the usenet or newsgroups (same thing)? Probably only IT folks, and the younger ones have probably only heard about it, never gone on them.
    Not true. While I knew of usenet and newsgroups back in the day, I didn't have a computer at the time. And, while I was never a part of an IT group, I did do computer programming and simulation programming for several years. I was part of a control systems group at the time.

However, I do remember hauling a Lear-Siegler ADM-3A terminal and a 1200 baud modem home over Christmas one year in order to play D&D on Compuserve. How's that for trivia?

DeeAnn

Single, male, 19? One of the youngest here I would assume?

As far as growing up in a "more accepting society", I would disagree. I started dressing at 8 years old(at that age, it's not 'dressing' as much as putting on bras and panties, it's all the same and all leads to where I am now), so I've done this for at least 10 years. I feel no where near accepted. I have few friends who are ok with discussing it with me, and my mom and sister are both on a DADT basis for the most part. Half my family doesn't know and would flip if they found out. Lets pray the trash bag in the hamper does the trick for a little while longer(On a side note, I was looking for the 'praying' emoji, )

Though I do feel as if I am in the minority of this forum, lol.
    "And tell me, why you're staring. Come on, Come on, it must be, what I'm wearing! - Smash Mouth"

Thanks for all the replies.

My thread was purely as an observation and was not meant to 'pigeon hole' or exclude anyone from our group. I think it's great that there are members who don't fit the description - the more the merrier.

I agree that it is probably a minority of CDers who actually use a forum. There don't appear to be anymore out there with the same perspective as this one and I can understand that the rules here prevent some people wanting to join.

In an example given of a group of 500 'out of the closet' CDers only 12 were members. That a little over 2%. I would imagine that CDers who attend meetings are again a minority so if you start extrapolating the facts you might even get to the 3% of the population who CD!

I just wonder if joining a forum such as this is just part of the journey alluded to by another poster. It's nice to feel part of a community, we as human beings need to fell part of a group and belonging here makes me feel a little bit more normal. I've made some good friends and hope to meet up with a few in the future. It's all part of growing as a person and experiencing new things.

Katie

Well I fit your demographic if you switch married for long term (not outed) relationship. And I had been lurking this forum for years learning what I could about why others do what I do before I actually signed up, which I did because I had finally realised I wanted to share and in part get some form of acceptance for what I do.