Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blend to Pass or Blend to be Respected?

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar

Blend to Pass or Blend to be Respected?

For those that strive to "blend in" for public outings, what is more important to you:
    1) blend to pass as a genetic female
    Or
    2) blend to be respected as a person (eventhough recognized as an individual within the transgender umbrella)

Please don't make the selection primarily based on whether you are or aren't able to pass. And PLEASE don't state whether you are passable or not.

Gone to live my life
    Hi Chantal,

For me it would be blend to be respected as a person.

Hugs

Isha

Daniella Argento
    Very good question, thank you!
    I would say I want to be respected as an individual regardless of the way I look.
    I am not sure that blending should be a prerequisite for respect but I acknowledge we live in the real world, so yes, I guess I would want to blend so as to be respected.

Quote Originally Posted by Danitgirl1 View Post
    Very good question, thank you!
    I would say I want to be respected as an individual regardless of the way I look.
    I am not sure that blending should be a prerequisite for respect but I acknowledge we live in the real world, so yes, I guess I would want to blend so as to be respected.
    I agree with the blending should not be a prerequisite for respect.

Platinum Member
    Certainly the latter.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

This "blending" premise has always confused the dickens out of me.If you "blend" then no one knows you are a CDer, so what is really accomplished except perhaps some kind of personal satisfaction? Personally I'm just myself and don't really care what others think of it.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Crossdresser-At-Large BillieAnneJean's Avatar
    To be able to blend in is a safety consideration too. As an example which is safer walking through a mall? A guy in a dress or a CDer who is able to blend in? If you are obvious then they know right away. If you blend in then they have to think about it. And that takes them away from their beloved phone too long. Confronting someone who may be a crossdresser has some risks. But confronting someone who obviously is a guy in a dress involves less risk. It is still socially unacceptable in most of the US to upset a woman.

For me I attempt to blend in for my own satisfaction and for safety reasons. It may be hard to compute from that but I do not care what anyone thinks about me. And what's the big deal? I am not robbing a bank or advocating the overthrow of the government.

SUCH FUN!
    Billie

I don't see why those 2 Q's would be mutually exclusive...? Unless you're saying that those that try to pass as a GG are somehow not deserving of respect..? (I trust not...)

And I'm sorry, but I fail to see how anyone's mode of dress makes them deserving of 'respect as a person'... isn't that a bit of a deeper assessment...?

I simply try to look the best I can and be appropriate for the venue... so I guess that means both, but achieving #1 is actually more in the minds of others than me...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Aspiring Member
    I currently gravitate towards 1 for the sake of my own safety (camouflage and concealment, anyone?), and ultimately walk unnoticed. But 2 would definitely be the higher ideal if both are mutually exclusive for all purposes of discussion.

I wear what I want just like any other woman. I don't get the difference in blending(wearing normal female clothes) and dressing respectfully, I think most women dress respectfully.
    You're a Daisy if you do! -Doc Holliday

#2,In the way that I am being me and just let me be and go about my way.

Dress to look respectable, blend in, pass or not.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Practically blending to pass is important. However, in principal, respect as a person is much more important.

Number 1 for me.
    Hugs, Carole

i'm a Pacific North West gurl that has lived in a few other places, but i always find my way back.
    i would have to say 1, i love being ultra fem. i'm dress in the Seattle/Bellevue and Portland areas where there are large tg communities and a very large gay and lesbian following, respect as a person is always wanted no matter the occasion or actions, but when i go out in dress, then i gives me a very nice feeling to know i am passing as a gg.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Neither. I hate blending. And, will only do it out of respect for the dressing friends I'm going out to meet.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    I think for me its blend to be respected, If I like or enjoy the type of clothes I wear what does it matter.

Sherry is a leader, not a follower. Leaders don't often blend, that's more for us who want to be like a sheep in a flock (of women in out case)
    Sometimes I, and possible a lot here, go for shock impact, where our skirts are to short for the occasion, sometimes when we are feeling a bit more normal we blend to pass.
    Not sure if Respected is the correct word, unless it is applied to the effort we have put in to become our best girl self.
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

Nevermind..... Apparently my expressing what I mean into words is lacking again, darn communication skills. Some understand what I am asking, but those that don't would rip me a new one.

Note to self: continue to shy away from starting a new thread in this section

For me, as someone else said, they are not mutually exclusive. I would love to pass as a genetic female and also want to be respected as a human being.

After reading your last post, what are you trying to clarify here?

Banned Read only
    I think most natural women want to be respected. Some don't do a very good job at it. Some women may look great until they open their mouths. Some may be need of a bath. You get the picture. The same may be said of men.

Me, as a cross dressing man? Well, I have been out on occasion without any intent to mix with the general population. But, on my evening strolls or the chance I have to meet the world unexpectedly, I want to appear as my image of a proper woman. I know I will never pass, but, I want to not draw negative attention. I've seen some pretty bad looking guys in a dress. They're usually on the same streets as those similarly attired women hawking their bodies for $$$.

I've lived my life being respectful of others. I don't make unfounded judgements. I expect the same of others. I treat you with respect, therefore, treat me with respect, even if I am wearing a dress.

I would love for it to be number one, but I don't really think I'd be truly seen as a female in most cases. But it is nice to dream...
    I personally want to be respected and accepted for who I am. That's enough for me.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Chantal View Post
    ..... Apparently my expressing what I mean into words is lacking again.....
    Princess, your question is clear. But if you're trying to express something (make a statement), the question is rhetorical. Just say it.
    I want to take your question at face value, but I can't help but think there is a message behind it: if you dress to pass as a GG, it's not helping the cause of TG acceptance, and so, dressing as a conservative, respectable, but obvious crossdresser is a higher calling. That's how I read it.

Did you say shopping? Caden Lane's Avatar
    I'd have to pick Blend to be.

Blend to be me, to be happy, and blend to be safer, Blend to be wearing that sexy lingerie, little black dress, and heels rather than those ugly slacks and mens shoes. Blend to be present and I suppose unobtrusive or draw unwanted attentions, blend to be another person at the party, and blend to be satisfied with my efforts. I do not need the respect of people I do not know, I do not need their validation, although it can be welcome if freely given. And do I really have their respect if they have to presume I am a genetic female while in their midst? If they know I'm trans and respect me for being there dressed as I am, then I'd feel I had made a spectacle of myself. I did not go to a party for attention or being treated differently, I went to be another party goer. Being me is all I can ask for out of life, and nothing makes me happier.

Ever & Always,
    Caden Lane
    Last edited by Caden Lane; 03-04-2015 at 04:05 PM. Reason: continuation of a thought...
    "These aren't 'women's clothes'. These are my clothes. I bought them with my own money."
    Eddie Izzard

I'm flipping genders, what's your super power?!?!

Please visit my wordpress blog: http://southerncrossdresser.wordpress.com

I really don't think that you can separate the two, Chantal. Now, had you included the option of "passing" as one of the choices, that would have been a whole different matter, but "blending in" is "blending in" no matter how you slice it.

There has been a lot of discussion on this board about the difference between "passing" and "blending in", and the general consensus seems to be that very few of us - if any - truly "pass" in the strictest sense of the word. Sooner or later, something, somewhere, somehow is not going to add up in the eyes of the beholder when we are out en femme, at which point we are "busted". So, if we are going to be realistic about it, most of us will have to resign ourselves to simply "blending in", which by definition implies that we are largely able to fly under the target with only the occasional "target acquired - missile lock" occurrence.

In essence, the term "blending in" implies a conscious attempt to dress occasion- and age-appropriately for whatever venue or event that we might be wishing to attend, be it shopping, clubbing, going to movies, the theatre or similar events, or simply socializing in public with other TG folks...but most importantly, dressing in a way that emulates the GG's around us and is respectful of them as opposed to the more cartoon-ish "drag" version of female dressing.

Dressing to "blend in" already demonstrates to whatever GG's we may encounter our desire to emulate them in the sincerest and most respectful manner possible, and this "pay it forward" way of showing that respect is usually reciprocated by them in kind in the way they then relate to us. Within this context, it would be very hard to separate the concept of being respected as a person from the alternative of being respected as a transgender person primarily because we are prepared to live our truth.

I would find the latter viewpoint to be rather offensive and paternalistic if that were the case, and not unlike praising someone for being "a credit to their race", which was a back-handed compliment that was frequently used in less-enlightened times years ago.