Thread: going on stage -- nervous and thrilled

going on stage -- nervous and thrilled

Yes, next week I am actually going to stand in front of 75 people under a spotlight in a nightclub in Philadelphia, to read autobiographical erotica into a microphone, and I'm gonna do it wearing makeup, wig, and a dress.

Yikes! When I look at what I just wrote I can't hardly believe it. Fifteen years ago I was a closeted and frightened crossdresser in a DADT marriage. I kept my girl stuff in a locked satchel in the trunk of my car, dressed in motel rooms while away on business, and would have died if anyone had found out.

I'll be the featured reader next Tuesday March 17 at the monthly Erotic Literary Salon in Philadelphia, I've posted details in the upcoming events section of this website. I've been featured reader before as a man, and I've read shorter pieces at this venue dressed en femme, but this will be the first time I've done both together.

I'm already nervous, I'm enjoying thinking about what to wear, and I'm about to settle into a couple days of polishing my text and practicing my delivery. Since it'll be St. Patrick's day would it be impolite to not wear green? It's not my color and I'm originally British-Welsh, not Irish, what is the etiquette anyway? Can I get away with just green earrings and a jade necklace maybe? Do I have to drink green beer? Might I see any of you all there?

WOW, go girl!!!
    Be there in spirit only tho.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

Sure--a silly green hat would be cool. You are bold indeed to stand in front of a crowd and give a talk. Good for you. You go girl!
    And thank you very much. For standing up and presenting a good image for the crossdressing community. Make us proud.
    And please get pictures.

Jackie - that is something very courageous and commendable... What Jennifer said about being a good example is right on... - although just how erotic things at the Erotic Literary Salon are might be better kept under cover...

Regarding St Patrick's Day and knowing how much it means to all of you over the pond, I'd say yes - you need a nod to the Irish so little green, shamrock earrings (or similar) would be perfect but I think you should also spare a nod to your ancestry on the Welsh side too and the great poetry of the Eisteddfod (Google it, colonial cousins.. ) and the Welsh bards... perhaps a bunch of daffodils on your lectern to keep you company...?

Good luck and Wow 'em!

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Very cool!

Take a deep breath, walk out on stage, and nail it!

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Gone to live my life
    Hi Jackie . . . Amazing opportunity. I know you will do well and enjoy yourself in the process. Don't forget to tell us all about it when it is finished.

Hugs

Isha

Ex prisoner in paradise CostaRicaRachel's Avatar
    That is so exciting. You must be so nervous, but it will be fun. As far as wearing green for St. Paddy's day, I think you should
    have some fun with it, wear something green and cute.
    Although your current visions might be grounded in reality,
    there are no shortcuts to get from here to there.
    Face the facts and realize that you still may have to manifest this
    dream the old-fashioned way: by creating a concrete plan,
    putting in the hard work and maintaining an
    unwavering determination to make it happen.

I'm excited for you. Concerning the green, a small accent piece coordinated to the dress would do quite fine.

Bobbi

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie7 View Post
    .....................autobiographical erotica.................
    Uh....wow....?
    I'm not sure what else you wrote.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

The unknown always gives me stagefright.

I had to stand on a stage in front of a thousand odd people and tell them to sit in the dark for a moment whilst we got the lights fixed.

I entertained them with crappy ,but clean jokes for ten minutes.

Then the lights came on.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.