Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weight and body image

Weight and body image

I found it disturbing and eye opening when I discovered the 50 lbs of extra weight in the mirror. Of course I knew I had it. It just didn't matter till I saw a chubby butt under my skirt. It actually made me rethink my diet. We men have it so easy, lol. An ounce of personality and we are good practically regardless of how we look.

Anyone else felt like this?

yes, i'm just over halfway down on my 48 pounds target loss.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

I had major surgery on my shoulder last year and couldn't do anything but sit around and eat for a few months while I was I was healing. I gained 25 lbs on top of the 15 that I was already overweight. My blood pressure is out of control. I have to hold my breath to tie my shoes but for some reason I'm having trouble getting motivated to lose the blubber. Dieting makes me hungry.

GG, SO to Pamela7
    If Pamela and I could swap diets then we would both be a lot better off! I can eat until I am full to bursting and only take in 1200 - 1300 calories a day, while Pamela would make a beeline for all the high calorie, high fat foods that he can find. I actually ended up losing weight long term by not realising that I was under eating (and I am so small that I really don't have any to lose).

I think what I am trying to say is that dieting does not have to equate to hungry at all. The other motivations are another story... I can talk more about this off forum if you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Welshgirl View Post
    I think what I am trying to say is that dieting does not have to equate to hungry at all. The other motivations are another story... I can talk more about this off forum if you wish.
    Talk more about other motivations for dieting or how crossdressing makes you more aware of your physical condition?

That's awesome btw Pamela!

Too bad about your shoulder Steve. Might just have to do it despite the lack of motivation. Lots of times it doesn't come till after we've made good choices. We resist change and cling to the familiar. Even if it's unhealthy.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by CountessVF View Post
    ... An ounce of personality and we are good practically regardless of how we look.
    No, society has a very harsh view of the overweight. I think the bar is just lower for men than women and because men's clothes tend to be straight and larger than needed, we can hide more, more easily. Did you know that among children, the MOST prejudiced, teased, bullied child is the fat kid. Not black, Jew, Asian, whatever. The fat kid.

Now, I am a big proponent of staying shape. Every single aspect of your life improves as you shed fat. Here's the trick: Set a goal. Weigh yourself EVERY DAY. Count every calorie into your body, every day. There are a million of apps for that. I like LoseIt!. Exercise, every day. 5 days a week, it has to be a good sweat with elevated heart rate. Starting is hard, doing it is easy.

Neanderthal in nylons Julie Denier's Avatar
    Weight is an ongoing battle for me. It's important to be healthy. But we all come in different sizes, and we big girls can look and feel pretty, too

Personally, I'm not so keen on a daily weigh. The best way is the 'my trousers/skirt are getting looser' method. Counting calories is also micromanaging what should be a natural process and can be a stumbling block for many. You should definitely find an activity that you like, if you hate it you'll quit after a few weeks. Make sure most of your dinner is veggies, eliminate sugary things (but allow yourself a weekly reward) and expect a trying transition period as your body adjusts. After a while, it will come naturally.

Julie, you look great as you are!

I should mention to only attempt weight loss if that is what you want and not what others expect.
    Last edited by AngelaYVR; 03-10-2015 at 05:18 PM.

Oh I remember the fat kids getting picked on, I was one of them. However as an adult I've batted wwaayy out if of my league because I get people laughing. So many people are afraid they'll say the wrong thing. Conversation, especially in person, is fluid and malleable.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Denier View Post
    Weight is an ongoing battle for me. It's important to be healthy. But we all come in different sizes, and we big girls can look and feel pretty, too
    I couldn't agree more Julie, well said

GG, SO to Pamela7
    Talk more about other motivations for dieting or how crossdressing makes you more aware of your physical condition?
    Both of those things, plus the kind of food that I was eating that would fill me up while I was steadily losing weight!

I was kind of lucky as a fat kid growing up. I was fat, but also bigger than most of the other kids in general so no one really bothered me, aside from my aloof personality that no one bothered me in general i got alot with most people. One time in high school a hot shot wrestler tried picking on me in gym, i laid him out in the game we were playing that day and my teacher just laughed and the game went on, he knew that guy was a punk and didn't mind. It was legitimate playing the game and my mass was bigger so i won . yeah i've been losing weight though too, i told myself if i ever hit 300lbs i had to diet, i didn't want to be one of those beach ball looking guys. i've attempted many things like counting calories, but what i've found most helpful so far is to replace my snacking on junk food with fruits and drinking mostly water subbed with zero cal drinks when not drinking water. friday and saturday i eat what i want rest of the week i just stick with what i got. I shoot for 2000cal a day and at first it seemed hard but once i got easily portioned food and the extra fruits things have been doing well. I'm down 34lbs so far, even lost weight on thanksgiving and christmas, gained a little for new years though. Hope you find something that works, also helps to have people who are supporting and comment on your body getting smaller or toner.
    -kat
    "There's a she wolf in the closet, open up and set her free" - shakira

The hurt shoulder should not keep u from walking. That was whin i lost my weight got bored setting around lost 40. Started walking took my 3 years but all u got to do is get off your ass and walk. After a will u might even start running. But us old woman need to be careful i did hurt my back med summer and had to stop. And as of now i am still hurting i have tryed averthing the dr has said to do. So to day i started to walk agen and got a little bet of run i also. I am going to be sore tomorrow. Trying to stabilize my core to help low back. And to lose 20 more. Got to get my waste down love cindy

Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferathome View Post
    Exercise, every day. 5 days a week, it has to be a good sweat with elevated heart rate. Starting is hard, doing it is easy.
    There are many physical situations where this is neither practical, nor desirable nor beneficial. Having dealt with a nasty tropical virus and years of fatigue, i can say that the best approach for me was to go for weights/strength first and to build aerobic capability slowly in second phase, exercising every 2-3 days, allowing recovery and consuming food-energy in the post-exercise window to transport the glucose into the muscles for the next time it is needed. The good sweat, even before the virus, with 10 years of swimming a fast mile a day, only increased appetite. I'm consistently losing a pound a week by living mainly on freshly-made juices and a light evening meal, and exercising an hour every 2-3 days. 27 pounds down in 5-6 months - its working slowly as desired.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

GG/SO of a CD
    As much as we all like to webMD ourselves, no ones advice here is going to be as tailored to you and your specific situation as it would if you were to see a Dr.

I had been having trouble losing weight and saw a Dr. He told me I was depressed and gave me prozac. I decided that I did not like that idea, so i went to a naturopath, we discovered through an elimination diet that I am severely allergic to gluten and dairy. I would not have figured that out without the guided help of a natural doctor. I have lost about 15 pounds without really trying.

So even though there is lots of advice here that might help you out, but it also might not work for you. I tried and tried for a year without losing any weight and had a health issue that could not be helped with just diet and exercise.
    ~Greenie

Supportive wife to a wonderful man who just so happens to like to be fabulous some times.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie;
    .. .allergic to gluten and dairy...
    All I heard was "no Wheat Thins". Only thing worse would be losing bacon.

I know what you mean, we do have a harsh view of overweight peeps of both sexes.
    Had I not taken up dressing, I'd probably still weigh 350 pounds, I was pretty shocked the first time I took pictures of myself, even though I knew I had a few extra pounds.
    I'm down to 245, still more than I'd like, but I like it when folks tell me how good I look now.

GG/SO of a CD
    worse would be losing bacon.
    I would probably need to join another support group if i also lost bacon.
    ~Greenie

Supportive wife to a wonderful man who just so happens to like to be fabulous some times.

LOL, Greenie (me, too!) (also, very nice sig line)

Seeing my excess weight en femme a few years ago was just the motivation I needed to lose that weight. I dropped about a pound a week, and modified my overall eating habits so I've kept it off.

Quote Originally Posted by justmetoo View Post
    Seeing my excess weight en femme a few years ago was just the motivation I needed to lose that weight. I dropped about a pound a week, and modified my overall eating habits so I've kept it off.
    That's awesome that you've made that progress. I'm making small changes that I'll stick with. Not diets,
    but permanent changes. But bacon isn't negotiable.

yes being over weight especially in this day and age is not socially correct they say . There is a saying truth hurts ! well let me say i got a good dose of this on annother thread about my "projections being just fat " well I was a bit miffed of course because from the front they looked like the beginning of a bust well the other day at a motel I use to dress in there was a full length mirror and boy did the truth hurt JENNIFER AT HOME thanks for the eye opener of course it really got noted on a recent visit back to alaska ,instead of saying hi dad it was nice gut dad !!!!! thanks again jennifer at home
    hugs phylis anne

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy J Angel View Post
    The hurt shoulder should not keep u from walking.
    Walking was pretty much all I could do but the pain killers made even that difficult. I'm not much of a believer in the exercise for weight loss theory. I've never seen any evidence for it. When I worked construction, there were plenty of fat guys who spent all day finishing concrete. They probably burned 7-8k kcals per day but ate/drank even more. During my bodybuilding years, I never had any problem putting on weight despite spending 2+ hours/day in the gym with minimum 30min cardio. I'm not against exercise, I just think it's WAAAAAAAY overrated for weight loss. You lose weight when you ingest less calories than you expend. It's as simple as that. Exercise, especially anaerobic exercise, will help preserve lean body mass while losing the fat through calorie restriction but it is ineffective by itself.

Seems like I struggle with my weight every Spring. This Winter I've gained 5 pounds. That puts me 35 lbs overweight by my calculation. But this Winter I've endured one major surgery and two funerals (both were emotionally draining). I know that's no excuse, but still, it's been hard to get motivated. I blame it on all the below zero temperatures. We broke six records in February for coldest days.

OK, Spring is almost here. As soon as it gets warm enough I'll get outside and get going! Gotta get ready for NEXT Winter! LOL.
    My favorite dress is a Dirndl.

This is just my personal opinion that is based on years of studying health and nutrition but I think that the most evidence-based weight loss "diet" is low carb. It's not really a diet though in the traditional sense because it's not based on caloric reduction. If you are eating a high-carb diet and switch to a low-carb diet of identical calories you WILL lose weight. And the best part is you won't be hungry. The problem with caloric reduction aka "starvation" diets is that once you go back to not being hungry you will inevitably gain it back again leading to "yo-yo" dieting.

If anyone wants to read a great book on the problems with the "Calories-in calories-out" model of weight loss and the scientific basis of low-carb diets check out the fantastic book by Gary Taubes called "Good Calories, Bad Calories". He debunks the idea that a "calorie is a calorie". Some calories are worse than others because they affect the metabolism differently. Specifically, carb-y calories like bread or sugar are "worse" for you in terms of weight loss than fat or protein calories because of how they affect your metabolism.

My 2 cents.

I have always struggled with maintaining my weight. When I was younger it was much easier as I worked out all the time and burned calories like crazy. After a third wound of many military missions I was derailed and simply couldn't do what I once could. Ballooned quite a bit. Steroids for inflammation issues compounded the problem. I work on it and do the best I can, but have physical limitations now due to injuries suffered.

That said, I will never allow myself to be an easy target or a victim of ridicule regardless of my weight. Overweight kids have it tough indeed. However, as adults, we do NOT have to tolerate that. I made a choice to serve my country and paid a price for it. So what I carry a little extra weight as a result. Love yourself for what you are and be as healthy as you can.