Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Walking in heels

I was surprised how quickly I took to wearing heels (2 or 3 inch heels)

My first experience with heels: The first few tentative steps were fine and stable, I got a bit cocky then suddenly found myself on my rear end.
    My first heels: black platforms wit 6" heels; Not the best for learning to walk in heel, but
    they looked reel good.

Hell-o Taralynne,
    My first pair of heels? That was such a long time ago, and they can be found decomposing in some landfill.
    I do remember they were no less than a 4" heel, and didn't fit very well. Walking in them, I wouldn't say it was
    natural, but it was easy to learn.
    A well fitting, comfortable, shoe makes a huge difference!
    Much Love,
    Kristyn
    I smile because you are my friend, and
    I laugh because there is nothing you can do about it!!!

My first pair was kitten-heel sandals. I strapped them on, thinking I'd wobble and fall, and had no problems - worried for nothing! I kept getting taller heels, and they were natural to walk in, in almost no time. Standing still can be another problem, though. I need to remember where my center of gravity is when I reach for something while wearing 4" heels.

I have been wearing heels in one form or other since I was 17-ish.
    So no problems now with walking, driving, running or even running backwards. lol

Aside from my first pair being slippery, which I corrected rather quickly, I never had a problem walking in them.

I will give this tip though, when it comes to shoes with a smooth/slick bottom the best thing you can do for yourself is to scuff them up with a mild abrasive or sandpaper.
    They may not look pretty, but doing so will save you when those shoes meet other slippery surfaces like wet concrete, tile, waxed wood floors, ect.
    The heel height may be the least of your concerns when you find your shoes slipping out from under you when they lose grip.

6' heels ? Ya, no, not for me. Don't know how you can "stand" those for any length of time.
    Last edited by Sammy777; 03-12-2015 at 08:07 AM.
    Warning: This post may contain up to 63% post consumer recycled Sarcasm ... or Peanuts."
    "Sammy, really next time do try to make your point without being quite so abrasive." -RD

There is a learning curve for sure. Even GG's have to learn to walk in heels. Once we master it, we are good to go and after awhile it seems natural.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    With the possible exception of a pair of 6 inch heels that managed to catapult me into the closet doors upon trying to stand, I've done well in heels. Anything over 5 inches are only for the bedroom though!

I, actually, feel totally comfortable in heels and have, pretty much, since the first time I tried them. I have never had any feedback, however, from anyone about whether I look as comfortable as I feel.

Its been so long ago but I don't recall having problems walking in heels. I believed I started with 3 1/2 inch heels and now I have many over 4 inches.

Ironically, I think men have a little easier time with higher heels given that our feet are generally larger. I wear a size 7.5 in men's (relatively small), which equates to a 9 in women's. I can wear 3-4 inch heels without that much of a problem. On the other hand, my wife is a size 6.5 (women's), and a 4 inch heel is tough for her since her foot is so much smaller. It would probably feel similar to me trying to wear a 5-6 inch heel.

CD Lifer and a Visual Kei Shinya's Avatar
    First bought pair (many years ago) , ill fitting size 12 with 4 inch heels . But , that is how you find out what your true size may be (size 13). Today 5 inch all day wear , is not as comfortable as 5 1/2 to 5 3/4 . Why , not sure , maybe it is just a better angle for my own feet .

Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    The most I can wear are 4" heels because I'm already 6 ft tall. What suits me best are 2" heels
    Same here. Bought a pair of pleaser pumps 4 1/2 inches, but don't mind the lower heels. I like 2 1/2 to 4 1/2.

My first pair of heels were 4" Sandles. I found it natural and quite easy to walk in them. I love all my heels, and I do not like anything less than 3 1/2". If it's less than 3", I call them a flat, too.

I LUV my heels too!!! but as I stand 6'2" flat footed..... I don't think anyone would be asking me to dance in my 4-5" stilettos'!?!?!?? LOL
    but, I'm not worried about my dance card these days anyway. I wear them as often as I can!
    "Life is Always a Bed of Roses........ Sometimes it's All Flowers, and Other Times, It's All Thorns!!!!"

Luv, Jessica XOXO

never once had a problem

was probably 10 when discovered mothers 3 inch heels - wish I still had same size feet lol (9 now)

now my wife says how can you walk so easily in them? she has trouble wearing anything over 2"
    love the higher heels with arch like you get in the smaller sizing hence wanting to have same size feet as younger 10yo but still get high as I can get

I must have 20 pair heels to wife 4 if lucky
    I'm a lucky girl having me accept my heel desires

Banned Read only
    Algoma:

A fairly similar path. I had 2 pairs of 3" Kork-Ease back in the day, but that was like 30 years before I started dressing.

After a started, my first pair were actually flatforms (yes, it is spelled correctly), but the second pair a couple of weeks later were a pair of Dansko Randi slides. They were a bit over 3" with a 3/4" platform. Whenever I wore those, the first 10 minutes or so was a bit rough, but it smoothed out after that...

DeeAnn

My 1st heels were 3.5 in leather heels and I did not fall, trip or break my ankle LOL
    Sometimes I like to dress as Linda Leigh

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal ramifications.

Silver Member
    In my youth 2 and then 3" heels. Three inches were pretty common when I was going to college. My sisters taught me to dance while wearing them. We would put on ball gowns and heels and practice. We all became assistant instructors. I didn't get to go to dances in fem, but I had a few offers from some of the guys in the classes.

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    My first pair was 3" rather wide heels and they were easy to walk in, but I still walked like a guy.

My first pair as Tina (long story) was a 6" platform shoe, and that shoe forced me to figure out how to walk as a girl would. I thought I was walking well at the time, but that was a fantasy. It took a few years to always walk in a feminine manner, which I now do completely and very comfortably.

I started right at 4 inch heels, and I think I managed to get it down pretty quick. I don't exactly have the most feminine walk in them still, but I think I manage alright. 5 inches can give me fits sometimes. I have one pair of black stilettos that I have to work the stride out a bit before I am alright, but then I have a pair of red 5 inch stiletto heeled sandals that I have no issue in.

Living between the lines
    I love my 6" heels. It took awhile to get it right. I don't go less than 4" At 6' there not too many tall men around to flirt with
    Go through life being yourself with your head up and your heels and standards high

My first experiments were with my mom's heels, which were already too small for me even when I was a little kid. That experience falsely convinced me that all high heels were painful. I got my first pair that actually fit when I was 12. 2-3/4" heels, which is laughably short compared to what I regularly wear now, but they were comfortable and no real problem to walk in. I've slowly increased my regular daily heel height over the years and now wear 4-1/2" to 5" with little concern.

- Diane

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    HA HA !!! I went RIGHT to the top when I got heels, and cluelessly bought a pair of 7 inch stripper heels LOL !! THATS what I learned to walk in ...everything else after that came easy...i used to actually videotape myself walking in these stripper heels to see how I looked...that is some SERIOUS blackmail material today I'm sure.

Like others I just had to have those 5" platform heels and had no trouble walking in them, of course we're naturals here, aren't we woman?? Hugs jaymee
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

Most of my heels are pumps or boots. But after my first pedicure I realized I needed open toe pumps and sandals. The problem I have with these is my foot slips forward, pinching my toes or they hang over the end of the shoe. Not cool. Any suggestions on how to keep your foot from sliding down the bed of the shoe?

Thanks for your advice, Algoma
    "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart." Helen Keller