Thread: Getting ready to start HRT!

Getting ready to start HRT!

Hi everyone! I haven't been on here in FOREVER! I finally started following my heart and have been seeing a psychologist and am going to be starting HRT soon. For a little bit of back story when I was in my early 20's (31 now) I illegally acquired and took estrogen and anti-androgens.

I found that I was taking waaaaaay too many because of how GOOD I felt for once and am just now getting back to that point 7-8 years later, but this time safely.

My question is the psychologist wants me to make a list of what I anticipate for time frame for taking hormones and telling my family and friends and everyone at the office, etc. I think I know what to put but I thought this would be a great time to get involved with my fellow sisters and see if I can get some advice. Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks bunches!

Courtney

I've made it and love it Jennifer-GWN's Avatar
    Courtney;

First welcome and also congratulations on the decision to follow a safer more managed path. We all have time lines in our heads. Often when getting started these timelines are much more optimistic than realistic. I can tell you so far I'm on track but for example understanding the extend and timeframes around electrolysis as one timeline item has been highly underestimated and I'll be officially slipping soon. Additionally I'm public for much of my daily life personally however from a work perspective I'm still not sure when the I'll be at a comfort level to making a formal announcement although several very close friends know. In this area my gating factor is my voice quality which I'm determined to be within a comfortable range before making a move. Your doctor may also have their own set pace as well. I'm dealing with a very conservative Dr. and following her lead with a little nudge here and there.
    So nice to have a timeline but equally nice to know it is but a guide vs. a contract and you'll need to accept the associated flexibility that might be required.

Go at a pace that feels right and good while following the Dr's knowledge and experience; adjust plan as needed. I sense the question is more to help them gauge your expectations and help balance those expectations.

Hope this helps.

Cheers... Jennifer
    I am who I am... I'm happy...I mean truly to the bone happy...and at peace with myself for the first time ever. I'm confident and content as the woman I am.

Gold Member
    I went through the same exercise. My advise is indirect in that I feel this is something you have to do. When do you want to be full time? Does it leave you time to do everything you want? I personally recommend telling family and those real close to you at a reasonable amount of time before you go full time. Let the ones close to you have time to learn and gain their comfort. It isn't easy and turning everything on its head in a day will make things more difficult. Time helps.

Hi Courtney, and welcome back!!

I just went through the same exercise with my therapist. For me, it was an opportunity for her to get an idea of where my head is at regarding timelines, to see what my expectations where. It was a good reality check. Turns out, my timeline was somewhat conservative initially as changes would take place sooner that I had provided for. I allowed for quite a lengthy time for things to change given my age (55). But my therapist has a ton of experience, and though it is very individual, she estimates that I will probably be able to go FT at work 67 months earlier than I had planned. So this will impact when to get legal documents changed, etc. She is happy to set up a plan to slow things down if I want, but it was a very good exercise. As Jenn and Sue have indicated, it is your timeline, but no one really knows exactly going into it as everyone reacts differently. For me, my timeline now is not written in stone, but in Jello, so it can still move around a bit and remain intact.

Best of luck, keep us posted!!!

Erin
    Last edited by Eringirl; 03-12-2015 at 09:34 AM.
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

Thanks so much for all of your help! This helps a lot! And the timeline is definitely not a firm in stone thing but more of him getting my thoughts for us to then work together moving forward.

Here is another question for you that I have had some trouble with my research. For taking hormones what sort of time frame is realistic for my body to be changing? I know that varies on the person. My initial thoughts were for small changes to show around 6-9 months and probably 18-24 months until my body looks the way I see it in my mind.

Thanks again!

Silver Member
    Office and friends? For HRT? Why?
    Lea

Well friends because most already know I am talking to someone and are happy for me. They already know I used them before and are glad that I am being safe.

The office is for years down the road if I get comfortable enough (and think they would be) to wear things like skirts or dresses. Right now my plan is to continue as I have with female jeans or slacks. The difference then would be a more feminine body.

Does that make sense? Thanks!

Banned Read only
    Hi Courtney, welcome back,

Your timeline of 18 - 24 months is a good general estimate. As you have done this before I am sure you understand that it all depends upon how well our body uses the HRT. Some may never have a noticeable change and some may go hog wild and not be recognizable after a year. It's kind of a Luck of the Draw type thing. Personally, I would try to get family onboard as soon as possible if you think they might be accepting. The more support the better off you will be. The office, you will have to have your name legally changed before they can act or make any accommodations legally.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CCole View Post
    Does that make sense? Thanks!
    Perhaps for friends. At best it is pointless for the office.
    Last edited by Rianna Humble; 03-17-2015 at 04:20 AM.

Hi Courtney

Think of your environment like a cocoon you transition inside of and you are responsible for spinning this cocoon.

Your environment will strongly effect your transition. A hostile environment can be deadly to transitioning. It can dramatically affect your timeline.

People make up a large part of this cocoon so how they accept you and what they think of you and transsexuality in general will affect you and your time line.

If you are always in conflict with people because of your transitioning this will slow you down and use up precious emotional resources.

Where you live will also impact you and your time line.

Asking for a timeline is partly for your benefit but also a tool to assess whether you are rational and have a clear understanding of what you are about to do. It is a type of test but also a way to get you thinking and planning.

To reduce the euphoria,fantasy and excitement experienced in the beginning so when the S..t Storms hit, and they always do, you are prepared to survive them.

Figure two years to see the full effects of hormones and the changes happen very gradually until one day you see them all at once and no longer recognize yourself as that image you have carried in your mind of the old you all your life.

The hormones are a very small part of a very long complicated process.

At its core you will be building an entirely new life on every level while carrying around your past on your back as a type of shadow. Think school reunions where you have to explain the change. In some ways you are always transitioning as that explaining to the degree you cannot leave your past behind.

You will need to be very strong and you will need a good plan and lots of money to the degree you need to make changes.
    Last edited by KellyJameson; 03-15-2015 at 02:50 PM.
    The Psychology of Conformity
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARGczzoPASo

Mars brain, Venus brain: John Gray at TEDxBend
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuM7ZS7nodk

Thanks Jorja!

I did some additional reading and found right after I saw this that the office can't do anything until my name is legally changed. I'm glad for that. All of my co-workers seem to be fine with just about anything aside from a little teasing. Thanks so much for your help!

Thanks for that analogy KellyJameson. That makes a lot of sense! I already have a good number of friends and some cousins that are my age or close that are supportive. Hopefully that will continue with some of my other family members!
    Last edited by Rianna Humble; 03-17-2015 at 04:19 AM. Reason: Multiposting is posting one after another when you should have edited the earlier post to include the extra comments