Thread: Has Crossdressing affected your carrerr?

Has Crossdressing affected your career?

I sometimes look at my past and wonder if I didn't fear being outed, would I have taken a different road. Mind you, I have no regrets, but that questions pops up every so often. Any others feel this way too?
    Joann, a Jersey Shore Gal.
    "Be True to Yourself"

My career was in the pharmaceutical industry and I could have done my job as a man or a woman as I worked for a very progressive company. I chose to keep the CDing under wraps until I took early retirement then I came out more or less openly. I don't regret anything and don't concern myself with what could have been. I'm where I am now due to my own choices in any case.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    After thinking for a while I've confirmed that career and CD have been kept, for the most part completely separate. I've worked underdressed and a few times, when I was sure of complete privacy, in female mode. But, CD'ing has never affected my career.

Now, has your career affected your CD'ing?
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Platinum Member
    I'm only out to a couple of business associates. So far, it hasn't affected my career, and I'm near retirement anyway, so I'm not particularly worried about any repercussions.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

For me, CDing has not affected my career (yet!), but my career has affected my CDing. Because I travel on occasion, I've had the opportunity to get out as Stephanie, which I'm not sure if I would have had the chance to do locally.

Not my career. While that would have been ruined more then likely. But I never thought about it then as I had no idea who I was or what I was about at that time. My marriage. I feared losing it. I did anyway because of crossdressing and other issues. So in the end the results would have been the same on that front. BTW. After we separated and I had time to think and examine myself. I am happier and more complete and I believe she is to. Back to the work front. In my current professional career. I doubt it would matter at all. There is at least TG women I know of in the company and about 15/20% of the company is GLBTQ.
    You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because your all the same

Gone to live my life
    Hi Joann,

I cannot give you a definitive answer as I just recently (4 months ago) came out at work as "gender fluid" and am now looking at asking for accommodation to dress "en femme" on days when civilian attire is authorized (I am Canadian military). To date, although there has been some awkward moments as the news went viral in my world, it has been business as usual and many of my colleagues have met me socially as Isha. So far so good . . . I guess we'll see when I push the envelop and ask to dress female on Fridays.

Hugs

Isha

Reality Check
    I'm sure it would have made a big difference if I had become known as a crossdresser when I was working, especially for the first twenty years or so when I was "in the trades", so to speak. Now that I am retired, it doesn't have any effect.

I too have kept the two apart. I had to devote all my attention to my career to make it work when I was doing it. Crossdressing had to take the backseat in my life, but played a very important part and still does.

Like many, I've kept the two well apart - in my industry, it would kill my career stone dead! Sad but true
    Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astair did .. but backwards and in HEELS!

Like most replies here never the twain shall meet.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

not yet, but i am sure it is about to, and i reckon on balance more positively than negatively
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    Tina has brought an understanding of the culture in which women grow up and live as adults. That understanding has solidified my ability to interact positively with women colleagues. They do notice my ability to understand what they say and how they say it, whereas my male colleagues hear the same words but get no understanding. Tina has been a real plus professionally.

0 to trans in 60 seconds! Donnagirl's Avatar
    Much like Isha, it's well known at work and possibly may be soon seen at work as well. It did surprise me, the lack if any negativity, with only a few demonstrating they're a little awkward with the situation and rapidly change the subject. My environment is very conservative, mixed with military, intelligence, federal investigators and the like!!!
    Call me Donna, please

I'm in a town of less than 30 people. Even the idea that I dress would stress my and my wife's relationships in the area. If we were in a metro area I think we'd both be more, "what the hell." When I go out en femme it's to a larger city (frequently including the road trip). Doing so at work would end my career here.

My dressing made no difference to my career, more the opposite. It was a change in company and role that allowed my dressing to expand into what it is now. Back when I left school I was still learning and working things out. Whilst I do regret the decision and job I went into after school that was more about not seeing the world was changing and there was a better option for me which I should have taken.
    That said had I taken it I may never have known or become the person I am now and that would have been a massive loss for me.

Yes it has in both positive and negative ways. I worked for very religious people who would of flipped their wigs(pun intended). Worked for one gentleman who was sued for dismissing a homosexual woman. So when he found out(I told him) he made the working conditions very favorable. Until he thought being a CD makes me easy. So after two failed attempts to make passes I quit. Work for self now,best choice ever made.

I was able to keep them completely separate. In today's PC world it would have to be accepted,but my co workers definitely wold have had a problem with it.

Banned Read only
    As a self employed photographer I feel being a CDer was useful when dealing with brides at weddings, I never outed myself but I felt confident in handling and knowing how to drape a wedding dress for the best photographs ! It was also nice to be able to get into conversations with women on how their outfits looked !
    It also gave me a gentler touch with handling people when taking portraits, I never had a single complaint in thirty years in my handling of people !