Thread: HRT and fertility

HRT and fertility

Well, there have been a lot of changes to my short and middle term plans. The dysphoria has been getting worse, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel, via the land of the midnight sun: Sweden.

I haven't lived in Sweden since I was four, but I still hold the nationality. A few weeks ago by chance I met a couple of Swedish doctors who told me the public healthcare system there covers HRT, laser/electro, FFS, BA and SRS! So, after some consideration I started practicing my Swedish, because I'm staying one more year in Brazil while I save some money to move back to where I first saw the light of day.

In the meantime, I found out treatment is also covered here in Brazil, and while I don't trust Brazil's public healthcare enough for an operation, I'm thinking about jumping through the hoops required to start HRT here.

The thing is that I have this biological imperative of passing on my genetic material. I'm single right now, but having at least one child that is biologically ours is something I will want to do once I find the right person and moment. For financial and practical reasons I can't bank here. I read this thread* about suggesting banking before beginning HRT, but I'm curious if anyone has tried stooping HRT for a while to try to conceive or produce a good sample for later, and how did it go.

Other than that, are there any other considerations against starting HRT when I'm going to be switching not just doctors but healthcare systems less than a year later?

* Words I learned reading that thread: "transbian" and "masturbatorium". "There's a transbian in the masturbatorium" sounds like a great name for an album.
    Last edited by Promethea; 03-16-2015 at 03:24 PM.
    Life is a dream we wake from.

I know the bank I went to would allow the transfer of your sperm to other banks but I'm not sure how that works of if you can have intercontinental sperm.
    You'll have to ask around some fertility clinics that do banking and see how it would work.

From what I read though is that most TSes are sterile within 3-6 months*, maybe not totally but you're probably not gonna get a decent amount of healthy sperm.
    It may regenerate if you've gone off HRT for a while but then you've lost the same amount of time as if you waited.

I'd find out about storing and transferring samples first before anything else.
    If they can ship your sperm to Sweden from Brazil then go hog wild in the masturbatorium before starting HRT, if they can't and you're 100% set on saving sperm then do not start HRT until you've moved.

*ymmv
    I still produce something after 10 months but I have no idea if there's any healthy sperm in it, prolly not though.

Intercontinental sperm! That will be the first track on the album.

Considering I'm in a weak economy saving for moving to (and surviving a few months in) a stronger economy... storing sperm and putting it on a plane is not where I want to be sending money right now. I didn't know I would need to be off for so long to maybe get some activity down there. I'll better suck it up for just one more year (I waited 32, I can handle 33, specially with a plan in place, although I often daydream of running to the embassy screaming in my broken Swedish "these crazy Brazilians kidnapped me, take me home!!!").

Thank you.

Well, it's not like it'd be in your carry-on lol :P
    They probably have some method of keeping it cool and frozen for the duration of the trip, just call around and ask.
    Doesn't hurt to see what's up.

I know, lol. Well, if it's intercontinental sperm I can try and deposit in Sweden from here. Nah, my aim is not that good. I'd probably hit the king in the eye. Why did I say that like it was a bad thing?

There's a number of reasons it's not practical now. I don't feel like getting into them now, but cost is the main. If they charged me what you paid, I could really use those $540 to fly to Sweden, eat for one more month while I figure the massage therapy market in Sweden, or buy winter clothes, not to mention the cost of additional deposits (which seem to be recommended and I see why). Having the samples flown or clearing them for transport is probably not cheap either.

If only I could just use the fridge... I'd need to label it very clearly as "NOT condensed milk", they use that a lot here.

Banned Read only
    You know, I can honestly say this this topic never occured to me. I really MUST get out more...

Best of Luck to you!

DeeAnn