Thread: Question for others on HRT

Question for others on HRT

This is something I took notice of yesterday after a conversation with a friend.
    My hands, or more specifically the veins that where at one time noticeable on the top of them.
    They seem to be pretty much gone, well more like receded (not like they actually went anywhere) to the point where they are barely visible.

This is obviously something that was gradual over time and went unnoticed until now.
    Upon realizing this I searched through what little older photos I do have and somewhat confirmed it.
    You would not believe how often your hands are not in pictures. At least clear enough ones to prove such a point.

So a little confirmation of anybody else seeing this in themselves would be nice to here and help prove I'm not crazy.
    Or at least prove my everyday normal levels of crazy haven't increased.
    Warning: This post may contain up to 63% post consumer recycled Sarcasm ... or Peanuts."
    "Sammy, really next time do try to make your point without being quite so abrasive." -RD

Silver Member
    My hands have not changed. (coming up to 3 years on hormones)

Have you considered the notion that you might be ... nuts?
    Lea

Quote Originally Posted by LeaP View Post
    Have you considered the notion that you might be ... nuts?
    Might be nuts?
    No question there, I've been nuttier then squirrel sh*t for most of my life, being Trans has just enhanced it a bit.
    There has always been a fine line between genius and madness, and sometimes that line gets a bit blurry.

So, being serious for a moment, let me ask you how prominent are the visible veins for you?
    Warning: This post may contain up to 63% post consumer recycled Sarcasm ... or Peanuts."
    "Sammy, really next time do try to make your point without being quite so abrasive." -RD

0 to trans in 60 seconds! Donnagirl's Avatar
    Now, I know the back of my hand like.... Well the back of my hand... Checking... Oh my god!!! What... No!!! It can't be!!! How's that possible!!!

Sorry, I've got to go... Noooooooooo!!!!

Seriously, veins on the hands as well as other places will become more or less prominent with many different factors, hydration levels, blood pressure, even how they've been carried, used or exercised...

Now stay put, a white van is on it's way, special fitting of wrap around pajamas a speciality of the driver and his friend!!! Bed and breakfast will be offered.... .

Oh bad girl Donna!!!
    Last edited by Donnagirl; 03-17-2015 at 03:29 AM.
    Call me Donna, please

Silver Member
    Mine are not physically prominent nor very visible. With one of the effects of HRT being thinning skin, I wondered if they might become so, but that has not happened.
    Lea

The prominance of my veins has not been apparently reduced. Skin on most parts of my body has thinned and softened but I have seasonal chapped hands and this year has been one of the worst.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Without also being called a nut job. Yes, I noticed it several months back but didn't think any more of it. The back of my hands where quite apparent with protruding veins, unless it's really hot now they have gone all smooth.

At least i'm not the only one.

My hands used to look like Mick Jagger's, and now, while the veins are still visible, they have clearly softened.
    But I haven't started HRT yet, so what I'm trying to say is that there may be other factors at play.
    Life is a dream we wake from.

Quote Originally Posted by becky77 View Post
    At least i'm not the only one.
    Same here
    I also can not think of any other plausible reason as there is no real change in my sleeping, eating or physical activities.

It probably has more to do with how elevated your hands are relative to your heart.
    Life is an endless struggle full of frustrations and challenges, but eventually you find a hairstylist you like.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by becky77 View Post
    Without also being called a nut job ...
    Hopefully you realize this was a joke based on the last line of the OP!!!
    Lea

Silver Member
    My veins used to really pop out on my hands and arms but that went away on hrt.
    When I went for a surgery last year the nurse was having problems with it and said I had baby veins.

Could also be from the decrease in muscle mass?

The Mad Scientist
    I have had so much change, I have never even thought to look at my hands.
    They seem... smaller. I never thought about muscle loss on the actual fingers.

My veins are just as nasty as ever. It makes them more visible without hair on them.

Gold Member
    Mine still protrude off and on and I am about a year in. I used to be off and on with the forearms also. I will have to pay attention to that. Could be a lot of factors I would guess because we are changing our lifestyles and bodies. Donna mentions hydration and blood pressure. Well, up to a point of surgery, many of us monitor ourselves drinking a lot of water to combat a diuretic and take a medicine that can impact blood pressure. So many things changing it would probably be hard to pin point the true source.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Smith View Post
    It probably has more to do with how elevated your hands are relative to your heart.
    Well its not I've been holding my hands above my head for the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by arbon View Post
    Could also be from the decrease in muscle mass?
    While that could be the case for some, I already had the hands/wrists of a teenage girl, lol.
    When buying watches I would usually need to have 4-6 links removed in metal bands or use the very last notch in leather bands.

Banned Read only
    The prominence of veins on the back of your hand can be caused by numerous things. Hydration levels, blood pressure, and body temperature are among these causes. More than likely it is due to the temperature of your hands. Hotter the veins move closer to the surface of the skin to aid cooling. Colder the veins move deeper into the skin for warmth. If you are really worried about it ask your doctor.

I never lost my baby fat, so I've never really had the problem of overly prominent veins; but it occurred to me that with HRT comes an increase in subcutaneous fat, along with some loss of muscle tissue. Perhaps that could contribute to making veins in bony areas stand out less.

Lallie
    Time for a change.

The veins on my hands are visible but not prominent, have always been that way and haven't changed. The veins on my feet have disappeared.
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.