Thread: Worklife is getting interesting…

Silver Member

Worklife is getting interesting…

I have been making a point for a while of responding to corporate blog posts from our senior exec running HR. I've been doing it with something of an agenda in that I want my name and approach to diversity issues known at that level when it is time to move forward. Well, lo and behold if I didn't get a call today from our new Social Responsibility AVP. I'm meeting her in a half hour to discuss my thoughts on approaching "new" diversity areas. This was the topic of a recent response in which I offered suggestions as to executive education in particular.

What really caught my attention is that she said the topic was "on her desk." I'm wondering if that is gender identity specifically, as I called it out in my blog response as an "emerging" diversity area. I'll find out soon – I'm meeting her in a half hour.

My only aggravation? I have three days facial hair growth… electrolysis appointment tomorrow…. Aargh!

Gotta work the system.
    Lea

Aspiring Member
    Good luck with it Lea!! Though I am a little late with the post! It sounds as if you have a calling to be the head of the Social Responsibility Dept!!
    Professional thread killer.

Luck is not need, when planing a head. Let us no how the meeting turn out.

Silver Member
    That was a spectacularly successful meeting! She is brand-new, one week. 20 years experience in HR and mostly in diversity in my industry and in very large companies. Trans topics were indeed handed to her when she walked in the door. That includes participating in the HRC corporate equality index survey for the first time. And we discussed trans healthcare coverage in detail connected with that. In fact, she opined that it might be better to have it in place before participating in the next survey. Um – I agreed. I also volunteered to participate directly in that.

We had the opportunity to talk in detail about how attitudes and accommodations work as it applies to emerging diversity areas and how it differs from dealing with issues in established areas. And we talked – or I should say that I talked – about community representation, trans politics, differences between gender variant and transsexual people, and more. We talked about how inappropriate representation and identity politics can invalidate the identity of entire groups of people. (And yes, this was in regard to TS and TG differences.) She drew an immediate parallel to the larger women's rights and feminist efforts, particularly earlier ones, in terms of how they invalidated the community and interests of minority women.

And finally, we talked about ... bathrooms. In fact, we talked a good half-hour about bathrooms. It seems the new campus won't have any single user restrooms. Whoops. That resulted in an interesting discussion of transition. And she will be bringing the topic back to Real Estate in the next buildout meeting.

Amazing. I think I just became the informal trans issues rep for a Fortune 500 company.
    Last edited by LeaP; 03-18-2015 at 08:22 PM. Reason: typo
    Lea

Silver Member
    wow. Neat.
    Make a difference Lea.

That's great, Lea, and it's a wonderful reminder of how important it is to be visible if you want anything to change.
    ~ Kimberly

“To escape criticism do nothing, say nothing, be nothing." - Elbert Hubbard

Banned Read only
    With my past experience as a CEO of a Fortune 500 company and knowing how they operate, you either just sealed your fate or opened up a huge can of worms, Lea. Only time will tell. However, your new Social Responsibility AVP sounds like a wonderful asset to the company.

Silver Member
    Trust me, Jorja, I have peered into the can [edit .. I don't think I like the ambiguity or the alternate reading here!] I believe you! This isn't my only foray, though. I am working back channels through other parts of the organization as well. First, I enlisted the support of the head of corporate communications. Next, I have had similar conversations with employee relations. In fact, it was my bringing it up there last year that put the HRC corporate equality index on the company's radar. Third, I have had several anonymous conversations with senior executive HR leadership on this topic, including one that sits on the board. And finally, I have raised insurance coverage as a topic via a back-channel through the LGBT employee resource group. The diversity rep cited him today!

So what looks like a topic coming at them from several different directions actually traces back, in large part, to me. I disclosed all of this today! Got a laugh and was called crafty in turn. But I wanted her to trust me. Further, I assured her that I will be transparent as to my personal opinions vs other opinions. And that turned into the consulting role.

Corporate politics 101. Fun when you actually care about something.
    Last edited by LeaP; 03-18-2015 at 08:22 PM.
    Lea

Well played girlfriend. Well played.

Way to go Lea rock on!
    My parents should have known something wasn't quite right when I kept putting Kens' head on Barbies' body Rachel Smith May 2017

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][SIZE="3"]Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. Dan Stanford[/SIZE][/SIZE]

I used to feel like one in a million now with this forum I feel like one OF a million

“We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” ― Joseph Campbell

Wow! Sounds like you are doing great and positioning yourself well to make a difference. Congratulations!

You are awesome!

Leah
    Be nice; It don't cost nothing.

Silver Member
    I am so NOT awesome. All this sounds coordinated and wonderful. What's happening so far is great, naturally, but the reality of the process is closer to piloting a sailboat in dim moonlight. Test the water here, test it there. Go a little further in this direction. Whoops! Weather kicking up ... go another way. If the gods keep smiling, the waters will be calm, the wind steady, and the crossing a success. If they're not, then
    Lea

That sounds fantastic Lea.

Honestly I think you are as well equipped as anyone is likely to be in trying to address these issues and achieve an equitable outcome for all concerned. It certainly sounds like there is good intent on behalf of at least the SR AVP. Even if some of the higher ups are possibly only paying lip service because it is either legally required or trendy at the moment it still gets a chance to establish some basics at a ground level that hopefully will start to filter through.

I just don't get the bathroom thing. Seriously, what man even wants to talk to another man whilst studiously trying to avoid looking at him all the while doing their business . I've said in another thread, honestly I don't even see it as a trans exclusive issue. I'm sure there are plenty of men out there who would rather do their business in piece. Once individual stalls are a universal normal then gender becomes irrelevant, just put on an appropriate door and lock!

Gold Member
    Very cool Lea. You for pushing forward as I feel your thoughtful approach to things will lend well to this. And your contact who is keeping an open mind and allowing these points to be raised. Another step forward!

Silver Member
    I was entertained by an explication of bathroom planning complexities. Density counts vs. waiting times and fixture availability. Distance. The extra costs associated with single-user facilities. Impact on the handicapped. Other single-user facility needs. Impacts of general population use of a single-user facility on the subset of the population who actually need them. Plumbing and HVAC complications. Extra cleaning and supply costs. Multi-cultural implications of restrooms. Cleanliness differences. Fixture redundancy. Signage. It was really quite a long conversation. I had no idea how much thought HR had to invest in peeing. It borders on OCD. I would almost rather be trans.
    Lea

Quote Originally Posted by LeaP View Post
    Impacts of general population use of a single-user facility on the subset of the population who actually need them.
    This one cracked me up. I can just see it as a paper title in the "Journal of hygiene facility planning and architecture" !

Sometimes you do wonder if we (meaning society generally) really do just overthink things!

Quote Originally Posted by LeaP View Post
    I am so NOT awesome. All this sounds coordinated and wonderful. What's happening so far is great, naturally, but the reality of the process is closer to piloting a sailboat in dim moonlight. Test the water here, test it there. Go a little further in this direction. Whoops! Weather kicking up ... go another way. If the gods keep smiling, the waters will be calm, the wind steady, and the crossing a success. If they're not, then
    Lea, I am in the same boat as you. My employer is a big supporter of LGB folks -- but not yet so much for the T crowd. I have reached out and come out to my division's Director of HR as well as to the LGBT Support Group leadership team in my company (although not yet to my direct manager or my teammates -- there's no rush for that). I have told the HR guy and the LGBT folks that if I can help the company understand what this "birth defect" costs in terms of real money spent because they refuse to add TG healthcare coverage to the insurance plan, I will volunteer to be that person. I've also told them that I am less concerned about my issues as opposed to changing this company's position for the future sisters and brothers who have yet to come out (or even yet be hired). I am surprised by this, but I might be the first trans person to be employed there. They all seem so disorganized and unprepared for these issues (which is all the more reason I am needed for this role, despite my overwhelming preference to quietly blend in and just be left alone as I go through all this).

Funny, but it seems more significant when you wrote about it and then poo-pooed the value of your work, but now that i wrote this out, I see you, me and the rest of us here all have the chance to lead by example on this issue, live with dignity, and improve the world for those who will follow us.

Karen

Lea and Karen, thanks for doing this, as you said Karen, improving the world for those who follow, a noble pursuit.

Silver Member
    What I feel is exactly the same as when someone tells you how much courage you have.

[edit]

I had two reasons for the OP. The first was to share in some of the good news. The second is about the intricacies of getting this done in a corporate environment.

The HR rep said at several points how important it was to have an actual trans person at hand. Everything in an emerging diversity area without that is abstract and they really don't know if they are getting it right. That particularly applies to reasonable accommodation, in that it is almost impossible for unconscious bias not to creep in otherwise. An example is separate but equal with race - once seen as THE reasonable approach ... by white people.

The other thing that seems important is to be careful, if not avoid entirely, discussing rights. The only place where I invoked this was in discussing restroom access "post transition" (I opened this as a policy and definitional item). The tone I took was "of course, after…" To which she vigorously assented.
    Last edited by LeaP; 03-19-2015 at 08:21 AM.
    Lea

It's good to be involved and have actual input, especially as it will benefit you.

When do you plan on going full-time, I'm guessing they asked that?

Silver Member
    That critically depends on something in my financial situation. It's delayed me perhaps 6-9 months already.
    Lea