Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering moving

Considering moving

A question for those in warmer climates of the US- what's the CD and over all scene like where you live and would you recommend your community in general for weather and activities and job growth? Not just for CDs but anyone. Please list your state if possible
    If you only knew the power of the pink fog! ~Joss

MIDI warrior princess Amy Fakley's Avatar
    Alabama: do not move here.
    'Nuff said, lol.
    "Why shouldn't art be pretty? There are enough unpleasant things in the world." -Pierre-Auguste Renoir

I guess that's a glowing non endorsement. Thanks Amy

Houston is very welcoming to gays and TG but in summer it is hot and humid, so dressing up is restricted to light and simple clothing. Corsets and body shapers become unbearably uncomfortable.

Platinum Member
    Seattle is very welcoming to gays, lesbians and transgenders. The weather is wet during the winters, but, extreme cold is out. Snow usually stays in the higher elevations where it belongs. The winters are usually overcast/grey. Seattle is expensive. However, the outlying areas are more affordable. Washington State law and local ordinances are very strong in protecting the rights of all sexual minorities and the protection includes cross dressing. If you are relocating to anywhere I would strongly recommend checking out local and state laws.

Utah has good job growth, and there are place here the the winters are nice this winter it was nice all over. You can play golf in the morning and ski in the after noon. We just pass a historic LGBT right bill here. Utah has promises.

The Washington, D.C., area is good on many fronts: jobs, culture, cuisine, climate. We do get snow, but not like Boston's. And summers can be sultry. But there is a vibrant TG community here with lots of activities and outings.
    Can you zip me up?

Thanks all, keep em coming ! Stacey, we've been to DC and loved it! Not sure about living there though. I'm sure the SO would be on board .

Florida, no income tax. Coldest time in north FL, but doesn't last. South FLORIDA always warm. Some hate summer but no hotter than most US states in Aug.
    Lots of "tolerant" areas.
    A lot of companies moving here due to favorable tax incentives. Lots of airlines with flights to points all over the world, mostly due to "mouseworld".
    Housing is affordable in most areas whether rent or purchase.
    I'm not a realtor anymore but contact one in the area you are interested in.

San Diego has amazing weather and there is fairly high level of acceptance here as far as I can tell. Don't really get out that much, but when I have, never a problem. LA is similar. Problem is that it's expensive. Same with the better parts of northern California. There seem to be jobs around here, depending on what you do.

Arizona has great winter weather. Not sure how Phoenix might score in the other areas you're looking at though.

The less urban areas of the southwest are much more affordable, but are deeply conservative compared to the urban areas.

Michigan, and you may want to stay as far away from this state as possible. Just sayin'
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

I live in Raleigh. Great spot for the LBGT Community. Also one of the fastest growing areas in the country and lots of jobs in research, science, computer, biomed industries. Hot as heck in the summers, winters are very bareable with a nice snow or two. Other parts of NC not so much nice to the LBGT or job wise.
    You're a Daisy if you do! -Doc Holliday

Platinum Member
    As a Houstonian, I can say that generally the employment picture is favorable, the local attitudes towards transgendered is relatively tolerant although constantly under attack by regressive political groups. The weather...well, November to March its tolerable, but summer for a cross dresser is at best, challenging. The summer heat of Texas and the extreme humidity of Houston really narrow your wardrobe choices from April through October. And of course, the statewide attitude toward people within the Transgender community seems to be back sliding even as the rest of the country grows more favorable.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

What Genie said. Hands down it is the central portion of NC. Raleigh and all surrounding cities are great. NC is the 5th fasting growing state in the US and the central part is overflowing. The beach is a few hours drive East and the Mountains are a few hours drive West. Asheville, is a mountain city and very LBGT friendly with many places to go and have fun. I don't know about the jobs there.

Gracious Colleague looking_good's Avatar
    Oregon - Portland is your friend. Sunshine, not so much. But an eclectic city with so many wonderful options.
    Simply an avid clothing enthusiast...

Californian born and raised. SoCal has great weather, it’s just expensive to live here and taxes are high, I call it the land of money because anything you want to do costs money. But I’m here and like it as it is what I know and am use to. I lived in Oregon for ten years and loved it. I would still be there if it wasn’t for family.

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    North MS/Memphis- avoid here, you will be treated badly by police and townies alike.

Austin, TX, seems quite friendly to CD/TG folk. I see 'girls' like us all over town, and no one seems to give them any trouble. The motto of this town is "Keep Austin Weird", which gives you an idea of how welcoming it is to alternative lifestyles. It does get terribly hot here in Summer though. Like in some years, we have a month or more of non stop, over 100 degree days. I like to joke that Texas has four seasons like anywhere else... but that here we have two summers, a spring, and a REALLY hot time!

Quote Originally Posted by carahawkwind View Post
    San Diego has amazing weather and there is fairly high level of acceptance here as far as I can tell.
    I'll echo San Diego for sure. Nearly 100% of my going "out" time has been spend there, and in particular Hillcrest which is very LGBT friendly. I've met a lot of friendly T-girls, gay guys and GGs that are super friendly. California is expensive in terms of real estate if you buy - but renting isn't too bad.

Enjoy - can't wait until the next time I get to visit again!

Jamie

Greenville, South Carolina One of the top 10 places to live in the country Came from N.J. and would never go back. New business opening very year.
    Some poeple down here have never seen a snow shovel. And the low taxes down here will knock your stockings off.
    My story is the song "Reflection" by Jackie Evancho

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Calif. has advantages and disses, too. Our hottest days of the year were probably a week ago when it was high 80's. Usually never that hot in July or Aug. where we live on the coast.

But, 10 jillion people live in the LA area! The traffic can be a complete buzz kill.

LA and Long Beach have so many CD friendly venues it's impossible to even imagine! But, I live 50 miles out and it's not so friendly here.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stacey.eyes View Post
    The Washington, D.C., area is good on many fronts: jobs, culture, cuisine, climate. We do get snow, but not like Boston's. And summers can be sultry. But there is a vibrant TG community here with lots of activities and outings.
    After @50 years of living in DC, I moved to Las Vegas. Both have their level of coolness and are very TG friendly.

Miss:
    -Culture
    -Educated people
    -Real history
    -Good restaurants
    -Career choices and employers that see value in your resume'
    -Hills, valleys, parks
    -Green

Don't miss:
    -Seasons (6 months winter, 4 months mud, 2 minutes summer)
    -Traffic, taxes, government pukes
    -High cost of everything
    -Leftwing fanatics

I laugh when they mention rush hour here. An east coast friend of mine is out of firewood for the season and it just snowed again. He bought a tractor to keep the driveway cleared. I've been relaxing in the jacuzzi contemplating re-doing the pool. If you come out here, you should bring a job with you. And be ready to dodge the drunks on the road.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Reality Check
    My experience is that it's far easier to "pass" as a female when the arms and kegs are covered with clothing. If you're looking for a better place to live as a crossdresser, you might want to stay in areas with colder weather.

Other than the crossdressing problem, I love the warm weather though. You have to make a choice.

Gold Member
    I live in Illinois, yes it does get cold, even bitter cold, and we do get dumped
    on with snow. But way down south like Florida, you are not the highest member
    of the Food Chain.
    There are Sharks, they will eat you, they are Alligator's, again they will eat you;
    there are big Snakes that could try to eat you; even the very ground it's self can
    open up and "Eat" you.
    No I will stay in Illinois, Home of corrupt Politicians that we send to Jail, "It is there retirement"
    and cold, snowy weather.
    How ever there are a few months that are just beautiful, and I like it.
    Rader

I must agree with Amy, i live there now and wonder why sometimes.
    "Normal is just an illusion, what is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly" - Morticia Addams