Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Decade

Favourite Decade

My favourite decade for ladies clothes are the 1950’s. I like the Audrey style swing dress and the vintage rockabilly dress with a bow. Every thing looked so colourful back then, bright red lipstick and nail polish. I love the underwear/ lingerie like the corselettes, girdles, bras and silk panties, I think it was the start of the hourglass figure.
    I have purchased some of this sexy retro 50’s clothing on the internet and I was surprised how good it feels to wear and how much is available.

What is your favourite decade?

Kirsty x

I agree. The styles are very attractive and the lingerie available then was both so varied and so beautifully decorated with lace. The 1960's were still good for wonderful dress styles and the lingerie was still very creative. In comparison, many of today's styles are rather dull. Just visit your local Victoria's Secret to see how uninspiring the offerings are.

I see you are based in Cheshire and I read an article last year of a couple in Manchester ( I think ) who dress only in the fashions of the late 1940's. The pictures of them were most interesting.

Kirsty,
    50s and early 60s are my favourite but I really can't wear these as street clothes these days.

I do go for jeans and tops mostly for convenience.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Yep me too and I think all of who appreciate the 50/60 styles were probably at our most impressionable stage of our development during that time - noticing women since I was a toddler and fascinated with there clothing and presto! moms or sisters closet, we loved the look and still do..........................Debra

If I had to choose a decade I would also choose the 1950s. There were lots of great styles for women and girls. Also, when women went out in public they were well-dressed! This is the decade when I really became interested in wearing women's clothes.
    Hugs, Carole

Aspiring drama queen Isabella Ross's Avatar
    Kirsty, I'm with you. I was born in the 60s and love the 50s and 60s styles. Can't really get away with wearing dresses and outer clothes from this era very often, but I love indulging in vintage lingerie from this era and am an avid collector. Love the styles, and somehow it speaks to a kinder and gentler time.

I have a natural affinity for the styles of the 1950's too.

But I also love the styles and fashions of the 1850's! And the 1890's!

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Yes, watching the old 1950's and 60's tv shows, and even the 1940's movies. There were always bad things, like wars, but the womens' clothes, did seem to show more of a ladylike, kinder, gentler time. The contrast between 1950's and early 60's television shows, and ladies dress then, and now, is quite a differnece, though there are a lot of nice things today.

Overall, I'd have to go with the 60's.

Baby-doll tops, mini skirts, hot pants, white go-go boots and hippie-print go-go dresses
    DonnaT

At 50 it seems I am young on here if I say the 1980's? Short skirts, tights, high heels, lots of hair, make up, long painted nails.... Or am I about thinking about the hair bands, eh it was all kind of confusing back then lol
    Chickens should be allowed to cross the road without having their motives questioned

I would go with the late 1970's early 1980's.

I love the look of women in the 30's to 50's the dresses and cloths look fantatstic, and i am wanting to buy soem retro cloths

For Victoria's Secret I gotta go for the early to mid 00s!

(uh!)

though vintage lingerie can be a dream (soft flowy babydoll nightgowns anyone?)

though over the years VS has had COUNTLESS cute things that are amazing and inspired by the past ... if you look at just the cotton undies and PINK! line etc your view will be askew'd!

can we all agree that things got quite dreadful all around in the 80s?

oh god!

super tacky fashion and music and big poofy hair and hair metal and shoulder pads!

bleck!

The 80's without a doubt. That was probably the best decade. The women looked amazing and didn't have all the fashion hang ups they have today. The pantyhose with open toed shoes BS didn't exist and the shade so lite you might not even bother wearing any didn't exist either. Then dress and skirt were much sexier but they were very pretty and colorful too. The hair speaks for itself, always will. I can't think of one style in that decade I didn't like. Talk about green with envy.
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

I love the 80s. The fashion was so awesome, that was the best decade.
    Except for those football shoulder pads, that is:-)

I truly love the 40's-50's look. not sure I could explain it just love the styles from that era. I could probably do without the bullet bra. It added an interesting look, but I just feel so bad for the poor GG's that had to wear them. I can not imagine they were comfortable.
    When I am still and quiet, people who do not know me think, Oh how cute she's shy.
    People who do know me think, OMG RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Girls will be boys and boys will be girls It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola

Platinum Member
    I was born in the 50's and grew up in the 60's but can't honestly say I would want to dress that way. Honestly, I found the cone shaped bras rather peculiar and the styles overall, look just plain archaic. I remember Mary Tyler Moore - a lovely woman - in the Dick Van Dyke Show...the waistlines were exaggerated, and I really disliked those skinny pants. I've always appreciated more natural, less contrived styles which began to appear in the late 60's and 70s. But I live and dress for the present.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Hi all, I would go with the sixties. I went to Woodstock and the girls were awesome in their miniskirts, bands on their heads and the free morality that was present then. The whole time of the late sixties was good music and pretty women. That is when boots became a fashion. I was in a music group and we had go-go girls. It was a really fun time.
    Can't say that I've seen anything anytime since then that was a cool as that.
    Part Time Girl

C'mon! 50's styles were so lady like. Dresses and heels. Poodle skirts and sweaters. So much more lady like and sexier. 60's brought the pants in. Yuck! Give me a dress and garter anyday.

The '50s are when I started my foray into the wonderful world of feminine attire. I still carry fond memories of the bounty of clothes provided by my three older sisters, albeit without their knowledge. I don't do much shopping on ebay hough so I'll stay in the present decade with the attire I have now.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I don't think I have one. I know what I like when I see it!

And, try to copy it! Just like your avatar, Kirsty!

hgj kli li.jpg
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Oh...the fit and flare dresses of the '50s are and always will be my fav.

Even though I prefer to dress in current styles, that look is so heart warming to me. I will say that I do have 2 dresses from recent shopping trips that are reminiscent of those days. One is a fit and flare dress, light tan with white embroidered polka dots from White House Black Market (similar to the pink dress attached) and the other is a striking long black gown with white satin trim. *sigh*

That's my favorite, recent era. My favorite historical era is during Elizabethan with the dresses of the nobility. I'm thinking "Dangerous Liaisons" with Glen Close and Michelle Pfieffer and Uma Thurman ( I just love the corsetry of the era.).

-E
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Erika Lyne; 03-19-2015 at 09:54 PM.
    **Just trying to happily be me.**

Hugs!
    -E

Because of my real interest in lacy babydoll PJs, I'm a big fan of that era... late 50s thru early 70s. Those wispy negligees like Eva Gabor wore in Green Acres are tops as well. But, I also remember the aerobics craze in the 80s. Lots of leotards & tights in many colors & styles. Today, women just don't seem to dress like women any more... nor do they seem to want to.

Lacy PJs

I believe elegance peaked in the 1940s and 1950s. The styles of the 1920s and the early to mid-1960s are also a pleasure to behold.

Hosiery, heels, foundation garments, hats, gloves were then the norm, and are now all too rarely seen.

I am utterly baffled by the modern fads for sportswear and bare legs. Talk about making the least of one's self!

To think that women once wore dresses and skirts as a matter of course...

I'm a lady of the sixties myself. Tight skirts, slips, nylons and panty girdles. Nylon and silk, frilly blouses. Fashions for women were so feminine. Remember wearing a slip even with a lined skirt?