Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm a klutz ... TS responses only

With acceptance of my gender identity I realized I had always had a "thing relationship" with my body that came out of "this body is not me" but something apart from me that I must live with.

Not hate or loathing but it being foreign to me.

One of the consequences of this was a lack of body awareness. I did not take the time to develop that body awareness as "me in physical space"

I have taken up Yoga and dance to improve the relationship between me and my body from the neglectful relationship I had with it.

I think women have more inner dialog than men do and this "brain chatter" can interfere with you living in the moment. This brain chatter has always been a problem for me and I'm learning how to use my body to stay in the moment and quiet my mind.

I'm not trying to be graceful "to be considered more feminine" but moving in a more graceful fluid manner will hopefully come out of the disciplines I'm practicing that keep me consciously focused in the here now.

I think it will also offer benefits as I age and my body loses some of its strength and flexibility.

I'm rarely a klutz when I'm fully in the moment and aware of what is around me but as soon as my mind floats off somewhere I'm walking into telephone poles.

It's an awareness thing that you do through and with your body that also takes you out of your head. Something I think is very important for all women to practice because it also teaches you how to be safe in public spaces through this awareness.
    Last edited by KellyJameson; 03-21-2015 at 07:22 PM.
    The Psychology of Conformity
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARGczzoPASo

Mars brain, Venus brain: John Gray at TEDxBend
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuM7ZS7nodk

I forget a bit more now, too, particularly since in Washington we recently legalized... uh, what was I saying?
    ​​ღϠ₡ღ✻ Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡✻ ღϠ₡ღ✻

No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent
    Eleanor Roosevelt

​​​ღϠ₡ღ✻ Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡✻ ღϠ₡ღ✻

I've experienced zero difference in my coordination. I still play the same musical instruments at comparable levels of skill, and I've started playing another since I started on HRT. I still have the same silly habit of tossing things and catching them behind my back that my wife assures me is a clear sign of being brought up as male. My guess is that if I got self-conscious about doing things like that I would lose some coordination, but it has nothing to do with brain chemistry and everything to do with socialization.

I've noticed that people tend to attribute whatever happens in their lives to expectations. Women who fumble something will often attribute it to being a woman, while men will tease each other about something getting tangled in their skirts. People who misplace things will blame it on age if they happen to be middle aged or older, no matter that they've always misplaced things throughout their lives. We've learned to associate femininity and clumsiness and turned it into something of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Put men in heels and see how often they stumble! Don't encourage them to play sports when they're young and see how well they catch things. Tell them they're bad at math and see how much energy they put into learning anything math related. It's a vicious cycle that I would rather help change than propagate.
    ~ Kimberly

“To escape criticism do nothing, say nothing, be nothing." - Elbert Hubbard

Silver Member
    I've made no such associations. I still don't.
    Last edited by LeaP; 03-21-2015 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Syntax
    Lea

Loss of upper body strength is a very different and well documented effect of HRT. It sounds to me like you're taking reasonable precautions.
    Last edited by Rianna Humble; 03-22-2015 at 03:35 AM. Reason: http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/faq.php?faq=main_rules#faq_content
    ~ Kimberly

“To escape criticism do nothing, say nothing, be nothing." - Elbert Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberly Kael View Post
    I've experienced zero difference in my coordination. I still play the same musical instruments at comparable levels of skill, and I've started playing another since I started on HRT.
    I do believe that fine motor control and hand-eye coordination are different then internal balance or equilibrium.
    You can be a Eddie Van Halen on the guitar, yet still be clumsy enough to fall off the stage. I've seen it happen.
    Last edited by Sammy777; 03-22-2015 at 01:43 PM.
    Warning: This post may contain up to 63% post consumer recycled Sarcasm ... or Peanuts."
    "Sammy, really next time do try to make your point without being quite so abrasive." -RD

Quote Originally Posted by LeaP View Post
    I can only assume that this is somehow due to hormones. I can't really think of anything else that might account for it. Anyone else?
    I was driving with my sister and she said "I guess that means you can't reverse parallel park anymore?" I responded "what do you mean?" And she replied, "You know, now that you're a girl." It was mean as a joke, but after that comment, my reverse parallel parking was really bad. Until one day... when I really nailed it, and I realized it was all just in my mind (and some bad luck).

I don't think I would describe myself as a klutz. (Although I still sometimes forget I can't go through partially opened doorways sideways without banging my boobies!)

- Becky
    "It's my life, it's now or never. I ain't gonna live forever. I just want to live while I'm alive. " - Bon Jovi

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca Watson View Post
    "I guess that means you can't reverse parallel park anymore?"
    LOL!
    The funny thing is - Most people [men and women alike] really suck at parallel parking.
    Simply because most people rarely get the opportunity to do it.

Unless of course you live or work in a metropolitan area, then it is a survival requirement. LOL
    Spend time in Manhattan and you quickly learn to master it.
    Spend enough time there and you can back a Semi into a space a VW just left, blindfolded.

Now of course, pulling into a tight spot and nailing it first shot - That is an art form.
    Warning: This post may contain up to 63% post consumer recycled Sarcasm ... or Peanuts."
    "Sammy, really next time do try to make your point without being quite so abrasive." -RD

I've never had a problem parallel parking; even in an 18 wheeler. I might forget to set the brakes, though.

Leah
    Be nice; It don't cost nothing.

Banned Read only
    Brakes???? Brakes are for sissies!