Thread: How do you hide a surgery scar?

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar

How do you hide a surgery scar?

As I have shared on other threads, I had open heart surgery a few months back. I now have a huge scar going down my chest. The problem is that I love wearing V neck and scoop neck shirts. Any suggests on how to hide it better?
    Attached Images Attached Images

The non-GG next door.... Candice Mae's Avatar
    The only thing I can think of is a breast chest plate, as the scare is gonna be tough to cover up with make up and from my experience often have an uneven appearance for years after.

Eventually it will turn a lot lighter. Hope everything is going well for you

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    Dermablend. It can cover anything. You will still see the uneven surface of the scar, but it may be better.

Allison,

I know many women who have had heart surgery, and hiding their scar is not their concern....
    V neck or not...It is a mark of survival. the scar is not a guy thing that needs to be hidden. My Mother had aortic valve replacement, and as soon as it was healed she wore many gowns and dresses that showed her cleavage. when I dress I try to hide male things...that is all. Enjoy your V necks.

Hugs

niki
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hugs, msniki48
    Blog
    http://nikishomeawayfromhome.spaces....x?sa=764853634

Thanks for the responses. It is kind of a badge of honor, a visible reminder I beat heart disease yet again, but the down side is that it attracts attention when uncovered. Even in dude mode, I get stopped in grocery stores and asked about it.

At first it almost looked like it created the image of cleavage, but now it's starting to look almost like a stack of dimes, like a proper weld. I'll definitely check out the Dermablend for those times I don't want attention drawn to it. Thought about something like the "Cami Secret" too, but only for Allison mode.

Platinum Member
    As a matter of fact, my administrative assistant had open heart surgery two years ago. She still wears v-neck tops and the scar is sometimes visible, but noticeably lighter after a couple years. I guess a little makeup might be used to lighten the scar tissue.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

You might want to consult a plastic surgeon for a scar revision. Lots of younger women (well, in their 40's is still relatively young) who have had surgery get their scars fixed later after the surgery is completely healed. It's not always covered by insurance, and there will still be a fine white line that you will have to cover with a little make up.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

I'll second Dermablend as a way to level out the color so it doesn't draw attention to itself. I'll also endorse wearing it proudly.

Shoes glorious shoes rachellegsep's Avatar
    Try Vitamin E Oil it helps reduce scarring
    In search of muliebrity

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Breathes under water prettytoes's Avatar
    As the owner of many battle (okay...I fell out of a tree many years ago) scars, the saying I like best it this "scars are just tattoos with cool stories!"
    Life's too short to not be enjoyed! Live each day to the fullest!

Glad you beat it, yeah you. Have you heard of mederma, a scar cream that works.
    Derma blend can cover tattoos, so it will work. But either way you go girl!
    Hugs

Gone to live my life
    Hi Allison,

I have lots of scars (occupational hazard) in particular a rather unsightly one on my upper back which shows depending the length of hair I choose or the top I am wearing. I initially covered with foundation but then decided not to bother as I realized people were too busy trying to figure me out rather than looking at any scars. However, if you are serious, you could try some dermablend foundation to blend some the darkness of the scar tissue out.

Hugs

Isha

Dermablend to camouflage, Bio-Oil or emu oil to treat/soften!

It will take a year for the scar to "settle" down. After that, if you are still dissatisfied have a plastic surgeon do a partial (the part that shows) or complete scar revision. A scar revision involves cutting out the old scar usually with a zig zag cut and then closing the new incision with fine suture as opposed to the staples or larger suture used with the original chest surgery. Generally a revision can be done under a local anesthetic.

It will take time , I have scars and know how it can be

Lotsa, makeup.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Isha, I too have MANY scars but they are all small and barely noticeable. This one is big.

Honestly, I'm just tired of people stopping me to ask about it. In a way maybe it's not a bad thing. Maybe it's giving me a SMALL taste of what it's like for our trans sisters, as far as the unwanted attention?
    Last edited by Lorileah; 03-26-2015 at 01:00 AM. Reason: the reasons, though important to you personally are borderline for this forum