Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ptsd

I am a vietnam Vet. Army 11B, I walked around vietnam to draw emeny fire. I have received SSD for PTSD and I am rated 100% for PTSD by the VA. The VA therapist stated I had problems before I went in the service. Basic and AIT added to my problems and vietnam finished me off. I did not tell the VA before my 100% rating but tests had indicated a personalty problem but PTSD can cause or make a personalty problem worse. The VA is treating me for gender related problems such as CD, TG, and TS. The VA has tied my ED to my PTSD and PTSD to my GID. They currently have me on HRT.

PTSD never goes away. One has to learn to live with it.

Maybe changing who I am will help.
    Last edited by Mary Lee; 03-24-2015 at 01:43 PM. Reason: add more info

Banned Read only
    see i was wondering for what that therapidt said floored me,for i dont have flashbacks or any of what is defined under ptsd.im cool beeing both terry and being cheryl. i dont need a therapist to tell me what i already know,see im a book nut and will read anything that seems interesting,and i found alot of articles,bios,on what we now call transgenderism. when i was growing up i played with the girls as well as the boys,i knew i was attracted to girls and not boys,i often played games where i had the power to switch back and forth. like i have stated i been out of the closet now for almost 15 yrs. me and my wife have helped couples with our testimony. see my dad raised me to face my problems and life head on and its made me who i am today. i know hrt is out of the equation for i like both sides of who i am and it would be like killing a best friend.

Hello Cheryl

Your story sounds somewhat familiar. Maybe you are a highly sensitive person that does not like conflict and accept more than you can handle because you don't want to deal with the consequences of saying no.

My PTSD is primarily about long term abuse. I've stayed away from relationships to take away opportunities for third party bullying. The gender dysphoria I dealt with as a teenager was an escape. Totally unrealistic, but it got me through those years. The GD is mostly absent now, but CDing is still a useful escape.

Banned Read only
    i never really had to fight,it was the statement i used to get the point across real quick,i just do not like bullies never have and never will,and they learned to leave me alone..i used to have alot of anger issues but i realized society sucked and i moved on...believe me i used to get strange looks when someone said something bad about or to a transgender,freaked the transgender out once that someone would tell those big brutes of a truckdriver to leave her alone and they should be proud she is trucking to earn money for hrt and not prostituting,hated to be blunt but blunt was needed,she thanked me later..i been in all the main cities of the usa and some bad neighborhoods when driving 18 wheeler and was always treated better then most..i can cry like a chick when watching a chick flick or when reading something emotional but that doesn't make me soft,a few found that out to their error..i kinda take after my middle sis in alot of aspects for we are only a 1 and half yrs apart,and growing up she was rougher then any boy i ever knew

Cheryl have you ever read about or discuss with therapist Borderline personality disorder. I'm not a doctor ( seen enough though)l. I struggled like your self until I was finally diaganosed correctly. Worth looking into IMO.
    I did not walk at Harvard, Princeton or Yale.
    But if you examine my record.
    You shall see I've earned a PhD
    In the art of the fail.
    FMS

Banned Read only
    borderline personality disorder,scratching head over that one...

Quote Originally Posted by cheryl reeves View Post
    i have had therapists tell me i suffered from a disorder they could never put their finger on.
    THIS.

I think this is the root of the problem here.
    It is hard to say whether you have PTSD, GD or both.
    Your GD might have been misdiagnosed as PTSD.
    The PTSD might have developed from your GD as well.
    You might not have PTSD at all, just GD.

The only way you will ever find out is finding a therapist you feel safe talking to and to be HONEST with them.
    There are far better [and more fun] ways to spend $300 an hour then to sit and lie to someone.
    Warning: This post may contain up to 63% post consumer recycled Sarcasm ... or Peanuts."
    "Sammy, really next time do try to make your point without being quite so abrasive." -RD

Banned Read only
    sammy i was asking a question,and using me to kick it off. i dont need a therapist to tell me what i already know. i know im gd and ts but i dont want hrt,worked that out by the time i was 23 and proposing to my now wife of 27 yrs. my family calls me the book,for if i dont know much about a subject,im like a dog with a bone,i study everything i can get my hands on and then draw the conclusions and come up with a well grounded answer. see i dont trust license therapists like i dont trust law enforcement,had bad experiences. if im going to spend 300 a hr. i got better things to spend it on.

Cheryl we are all adults so we can make our own decisions. But unresolved issues like this always lead to disaster. A crash down of monumental proportions. You deserve to be happy, you owe it to your self to seek help. Yes we can read about open heart surgery all day, but we can't perform it. Don't discount professional therapist. Imo
    I did not walk at Harvard, Princeton or Yale.
    But if you examine my record.
    You shall see I've earned a PhD
    In the art of the fail.
    FMS

Banned Read only
    i have no unresolved issues,thats the problem,i resolved all my issues yrs ago.sure i can read about being a dr an doing surgery,sure i may not do the cutting,i sure do know whats going to hapoen so to be prepared for the outcome. once upon a time i needed a lawyer,the court appointed me one,then i freaked him out that i had knowledge of the law.preachers dont like me for i know more about christianity then they do. like i said im a book junkie.

p.s. i had my crash when i was 17,but instead of letting it hold me back,i picked myself up and moved on.

Your therapist is bound by HIPA laws and patient privilege. I understand it takes a lot of courage to tell someone that you are a CD or transgendered, but don't understand that if you are suffering from this disorder, why not disclose that?

Banned Read only
    it does take alot of courage to tell anyone..my wife told me i did not have the nerve to tell my mom,she was wrong i went and told my mom and she said what else is new,she said she knew for yrs..my siblings and their kids is another matter all together,they are not cool with it...like i said before when i came out my wife burned the closet behind me.....