Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The "dreaded"phone call today..

The "dreaded"phone call today..

One of our elderly members and a good friend,Julie Gaum,called me from the VA hospital this afternoon. She said that she wasn't sure that she would make it out alive,and I needed to be aware of where she was..I think I am the "executrix" of her feminine possessions,but she has never given those orders to me.. At 90 something,she is suffering the effects of WW2 injuries to her spine and the VA "pain pill regimen" causes her to black out and living alone,that is not healthy. Anyway,her hair is very light and long..and the VA nurses have suggested a haircut to "masculinize her"..."No,the girls like it this way" has been her reply. She then went on to say that she has been vocal and delusional since her arrival by ambulance there.They told her that she was walking around telling people that she was a Turkey!! I can not understand that as I told her I could better accept that she had been off her rocker telling people she was Marilyn Monroe !Her reply was that her hair was almost that length. Anyway,it is sad for me that one of our members that I brought into the mainstream [a couple of years ago] is now thinking she isn't going to make it much longer and to be prepared for "the next call". Julie passes on her good wishes to those on the forum that she conversed with. I wonder if she wants to be buried in her best dress... I actually believe we will be seeing a few more posts from her but it definitely "sucks getting old"..
    Attached Images Attached Images

OMG, if you see her again, please tell her that I am hugging her tight in my heart.
    Reine

I understand what you are going through. My dad is 94 and is in a nursing home. My mom is 90 and is in a assisted living facility. She is on so many medications that she sometimes makes no sense. They both have various problems and are both confined to wheelchairs. Yes, getting old does suck.

Platinum Member
    Please convey my best wishes to Julie as well. She's been a real inspiration to me, but more importantly to so many of us. I've enjoyed corresponding with her and for what it's worth I hope she enjoyed those exchanges as well.

And tell the nurses to leave her hair alone!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Sending my Prayers her way!

Banned Read only
    I'm so sorry to hear about Julie, she's been a great contributor here. Please give her my best wishes. And don't let the VA try to hide who she is.

Best wishes to Julie Gaum!

I am saddened to hear of this.

The uncharacteristic behavior and delusions may be a side effect of the pain medication, very poor blood supply to the brain, some combination of the two, or something else entirely. That said, I am not a MD.

I agree with other posters that Julie's hair should not be cut without her permission. I'm not aware of any serious medical issues caused by long hair.

Fly away with, first star and turn right till dawn, to never never land and NEVER GROW OLD! Lost my 91 yo father last January. I know all about watching my parent degenerate. So sad, so hard to handle.

Give your friend my best wishes.

My thoughts and prayers are with her

Julie is an amazing lady and my thoughts are with her.

Eryn

God bless her. As a WW2 vet I think she has earned the right to have her hair any length she would like. Bullocks to the overpaid goose steppers at the VA. If it weren't for Julie Guam and other vets we would be speaking German now. Or more likely not speaking at all.
    I did not walk at Harvard, Princeton or Yale.
    But if you examine my record.
    You shall see I've earned a PhD
    In the art of the fail.
    FMS

Rogina,
    Thank you so much for being there for Julie.
    I've read many of her posts, and was always surprised
    at her way of seeing things.
    She's quite a bird lover if I remember correctly, ask her what her
    favorite one is next time you speak with her.
    Much Love,
    Kristyn
    I smile because you are my friend, and
    I laugh because there is nothing you can do about it!!!

Rogina,

Thank you so much for being there for Julie at this difficult time.

As I come from Lake Worth, I've always felt a special connection to Julie. I have long been hoping to meet her but have been stuck on the wrong side of the continent for quite a while.

Please pass on my love to her. My thoughts and prayers will be for her and for you.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    I hope Julie's hair survives the meddling busybodies- that would be a cruel thing to do indeed.

Thank you for telling us about her- I feel so sad and I don't even know her.
    I used to have a short attention spa

Best wishes to Julie, thanks Rogina, pass on to her all the best and thanks.
    Hugs

It may suck getting old but it will certainly be a huge comfort to have a fabulous friend like you around, Ro...

Give Julie a big <gentle> hug from me and say hi from all of us when you see her... No pressure, but her fans are expecting some more posts about her adventures in hospital...

Thoughts and prayers with her...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

My heart just dropped into my stomach. I was going to the VA here in WPB Friday. Is she there? Could you give me her room number? If you could give me the answers to my questions, via PM, I would be honored to stop in and see her. She's in my prayers as of right now. Thanks.

Bobbi

My thoughts and prayers are with Julie
    Sometimes I like to dress as Linda Leigh

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal ramifications.

a true sweatheart for sure and she will be missed.
    i always enjoy her input and comments.
    hopefully she will post again!!
    paula

Always enjoyed Julie 's posts. I lost my mom after 8 yrs of Alzheimers, in 2012. My difficult, troublesome dad is over 94. I see my own health slipping too. I also know a woman who is 107,now. There is a semblance to Marylin there.

Rogina, what you are doing for Julie is something to be cherished. Please pass along my best wishes for her to recover from this setback, whatever it might be.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Thank you everyone! I will pass on your well wishes to her. She is just "starting to come out of her shell"...such a shame..

I have added her to my prayer chain.
    Marcia (LOVES) Blue

I'll keep her in my prayers. As my dad, God rest his soul, used to say, "The golden years aren't so golden".
    "It is so easy to exist, instead of live. Unless you know there is a clock ticking."
    --Anna Quindlen, writer, journalist, columnist