Thread: Family May Stumble Up On My Crossdressing Fun!

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar

Family May Stumble Up On My Crossdressing Fun!

Well it looks like my parents and most of the family would stumble upon one of my planned fun outings. I got word that they have plans to go to the same show at the Celebrations dinner theatre in May as I will be attending. Sure I could go in stealth mode and blend with the crowd (gal mode) or portray a guy/unisex outfit......... However, that would hamper the fun experience we have (we as in my friends and I).
    It just so happens to be the one show where our outfits are planned to be the most exaggerated to go with the theme of the play. The show is called Alice in Graceland which combines Elvis with fable stories!
    I am quite proud of my crossdressing, especially when it is vintage/costume themed fun. So I don't feel the need to shy away from them during the evening. Actually, I feel that this would be the perfect situation for them to stumble upon my crossdressing. The reason being that there should be no misunderstanding of my crossdressing intentions.
    Got to prepare for the consequences, "No Mom, I don't want a dress for Christmas, I want the usual homemade perogies and cabbage rolls!"
    Last edited by Princess Chantal; 03-25-2015 at 03:54 AM.

Sounds like you are ready to introduce the family to Chantal! I think that you should go for it...its never too late, and best off, then you will never have to worry about it ever again. You always look so happy and festive, especially in your period costumes and I can't wait to see the pics! hugs Maria xoxoxo

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    God that's one wall I'd like to be the fly upon...

'Alice in Graceland' is inspired- it offers more scope than I can even imagine. Do hope you have a great time, and I echo Maria's hope to see pics!
    I used to have a short attention spa

Gone to live my life
    Hey Chantal,

Well it does sound like an interesting evening and naturally pics of the costumes a must. However, it is possible your family may not even recognize you unless they have reason to believe you are a cross dresser or you are planning to go up and say "hello". It is possible you might hear about it second hand though . . . "We were at this play Alice in Graceland and we saw men dressed as women" Enjoy the play . . . sounds very unique.

Hugs

Isha

Platinum Member
    You seem pretty confident that your family can absorb the revelation in stride. Still, those first moments of recognition will be interesting.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Reality Check
    We don't seem to have that sort of event where I live. Nothing where crossdressing is expected or even "OK".

I suppose if your family's initial reaction goes badly, you could pass it off as just dressing in costume for fun because of the show. Sounds like the venue is one that would encourage some costume play among the audience. But I'll agree, it sounds like a pretty good neutral place to start the conversation, as you seem comfortable with the possible exposure. Good luck!

That sounds awesome! I know I'd think is was a riot to meet one of my sons in a similar circumstance. I'm not sure they'd be thrilled to meet me like that, though.

I hope you the best of luck, though remember and think are they ready for this acceptance of you. If so go for it, if there is a doubt be very cautious. I know my family would not be ready for any thing even remotely similar to this. Wishing you the peace you need in this.

Wow, that's a complex one, Chantal! Putting the possibilities, positive and negative, out in public. On the other hand, as Ceera wrote, your presentation may be construed as more costume than pure crossdress. You're the only one who knows the real situation and who can make the call.

Whatever you do, don't trade the perogies! My spouse's favorite food, they are way too wonderful! (Any way you could send us some? ).

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Thank you all for the supportive words, I really appreciate it.

I made an oopsies, the title of the show is actaully "Once Upon A Time In Graceland" and not "Alice in Graceland".
    Once I see them there, I will approach them as they know that I will be there. Eventhough I don't share them how I dress to my outings, I still let them know of the activities plans. Example "I'll be taking in the Prairie Dog Central train on Saturday". I don't like lying about my whereabouts, just in case of emergencies (dad has severe MS) and so some family gatherings don't collide with the fun outings.
    My sister and her family (husband, 2 daughters and 2 sons) will be present as the whole reason of the gathering is to celebrate my neice's graduation from some type of a school advanced science group. They were present at last year's Pride Parade in which I walked in and gave hugs to them. If interested in further read of this experience click on the link Pride Parade story So I am expecting the kids to lovingly attack me with hugs like they usually do at family gatherings.
    I don't ever recall my parents having strong opinions on much and are very quiet, possibly the reason why I am comfortable to them over reacting in a negative fashion especially out in public.

Krisi and Ceera - Celebrations is like your normal dinner theatre in which crossdressing and costuming is not really expected (especially costuming). Most of the people tend to dress up in their dressy clothing - dresses, blazers, suits, sweaters, etc.

Costuming or as a hobby would be definitely correct as a descriptive of my crossdressing tendencies. Gender expression/identity is very lacking with my crossdressing, so if they see it as costuming and not gender based - it would be preferred. My crossdressing is quite simple, it's a hobby.
    Last edited by Princess Chantal; 03-26-2015 at 12:02 AM.

I can see your problem, maybe this is the time to go out, or is it come out?
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I don't consider it a problem really and I have been going out for 13 years (about 6 months after having interest in crossdressing, 1 month after physically dressing). As for coming out, I had with my best friend and have proudly confirmed it when questioned by several others.

Yeah, I am quite different then most on here!

I'd guess if you are still planning on going anyway, you are more or less prepared.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Tickets bought and table reservations were made back in October. Can you tell that I look so forward to this type of fun!
    We even have our dates picked out for the Prairie Dog Central train rides for this summer and are just waiting for the tickets to go on sale on April 1st!
    Last edited by Princess Chantal; 03-27-2015 at 08:00 AM.

Sounds like fun, costuming is one of my favorite things to do also. P.S take the dress for Christmas, my moms cabbage rolls give me the heartburn.
    I did not walk at Harvard, Princeton or Yale.
    But if you examine my record.
    You shall see I've earned a PhD
    In the art of the fail.
    FMS

Reality Check
    The problem with trying to pass off our crossdressing as a "costume" (such as Halloween or apparently this event) is that most of us are too good at it. The observer is going to think "I suspect this isn't the first time he dressed up as a woman." I would love to get out to a costume party as Krisi but I would have to dumb it down to the point where it wouldn't be any fun. Bra stuffed with socks, $15 costume wig, no hip padding, etc.

Hiya Krisi,
    I don't pass off my crossdressing as a costume as you seem to interpret as. I wear costume/vintage outfits as a part of my crossdressing, to enhance the experience. Hopefully people see me as a crossdresser that is having the out most fun. My make up application and mannerisms are just the same as my regular crossdressing experiences. Dumbing down my crossdressing skills to fool people that I am not a crossdresser would be so not ME! I am proud to show people that there is a crossdresser amongst them and enjoying every minute of the time. The photo attached is somewhat I have in mind
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Princess Chantal; 03-27-2015 at 01:21 PM.