Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The stepford wife

The stepford wife

Hi to all,
    With all this being new to me I want to take it slow and really think about what I am doing. I still have a lot in my mind lately and I enjoy fantasizing about my future and what I would like. One of the fantasies that I have been having is about stepford wives. I have always been intrigued by them, the way they carry themselves and how they look at so many details to have a happy home. I been thinking that it would be really fun to be a stepford wife for a girl. I know that in todays world this concept is outdated but I think it would be fun.

I see your point. The Stepford wives. Really do exhibit the ultimate picture of what a submissive wife would be like. Unfortunately, this is not reality today.

I guess i don't know what a Stepford wife is. I have heard the term, but never heard what one is.

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    "The Stepford wives" is a 1975 si-fi movie set in the fictional town of "Stepford Connecticut" where real wives were secretly replaced (with a husbands approval) by feminine dressed, subservient, docile, life like robots that looked and sounded exactly like them, so much so, that only the husbands of this esoteric secrete club knew it was not their flesh and blood wives who had been killed.
    They were also fully functional sexually and of course never said "no" .

Thew was an awful 2004 remake of it that is actual billed as a comedy and I would pass on it in favor of the original which could never be considered comedy.
    Last edited by Barbara Jo; 03-31-2015 at 09:53 PM.

Platinum Member
    Hi Soccer, That was a cute movie the women were just perfect.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Daniella Argento
    I am sorry, but I just do not get why anyone would want to be a soulless automaton devoid of self will, self worth and intelligence.
    Even as a joke, this is really scary.

<climbs off soap box>

I did not mean the robotic attitude or having no mind at all, this would be a loving partnership. I just like the idea of being all done up for the one you love and making sure that they are happy. More of a good wife type of deal. There is plenty of self worth in making your partner happy.

Daniella Argento
    Nope, sorry that carries no appeal for me. I need equality in my relationships, with space to challenge and be challenged, intellectually, physically, spiritually, emotionally etc...
    That to my mind can't happen in an unequal relationship...
    I think those that think the 1950s was idyllic are projecting what they want their female partners to be to their male selves. Put yourself (truly) in that position and you may have a different idea. No finances that are your own, few rights, lots of responsibilities, no autonomy, no freedom, no ability to escape if things get nasty... Not as much fun as it may look from the outside in my opinion.
    But each to their own, just not my scene at all and not one for my daughters either.

sounds like a typical 50's wife to me... and that is ok with me too...

hugs niki
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hugs, msniki48
    Blog
    http://nikishomeawayfromhome.spaces....x?sa=764853634

Ira Levin's novel was something of a dark satire on chauvinism amongst other things - but I'm not accusing the OP of this... I think it's more the idea of how impossibly perfect they are... not a hair out of place or any hesitancy about what is exactly the right outfit or hairstyle for today's BBQ...

After all, don't many of us reflect this approach in our presentation? Trying to be as femme as we can in our mind's eye? Making sure that we do address every little detail from eyelash and earring to lingerie and slingbacks... How often do the GGs here also tell us our ideas are outdated? (I don't always agree, BTW - I think most of it is down to culture and location... but I digress... ) Wasn't much of the growth of the US media in the 50's and 60's about portraying perfect nuclear families with perfect moms and kids and perfect environments and...

Quite a few tens of millions demographically have subscribed to those ideals over the decades, I think, and are still absorbing the brainwas... errrm... important commercial messaging today. All good for keeping the plebs in their place and happy with their lots...

[Fade out to strains of The Monkees 'Pleasant Valley Sunday'...]

(And I want Davy Jones coat...)

Katey x
    Last edited by Katey888; 04-01-2015 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Fixed video
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

@Danitgirl1, yeah I also find it a little disturbing.

I don't see anything disturbing about someone fantasizing about looking perfect.

Banned Read only
    i agree who wants a robot for a mate.how would men like it if they were rplaced

Quote Originally Posted by msniki48 View Post
    sounds like a typical 50's wife to me... and that is ok with me too...

hugs niki
    Maybe you better go and see what "typical" women looked like and did in the 50's. Donna Reed and June Cleaver weren't real.

But a fantasy is a fantasy. If that's what you like, no reason you can't play that out in your mind. I read the OP more as wanting that perfect look. We all aspire to that I think. But the OP's desire to be a "Stepford wife" isn't any different than wanting to look like a top model or fly a rocket ship.

But remember, a fantasy is rarely (if ever) like you imagined it would be. I have been offered a "Stepford" existence more than once. Every time the person (a guy usually) couldn't meet the criteria (he couldn't afford me in that role...it takes money to keep a person). Yes I thought it sounded like heaven when I first started out...but trust me, not having any control over anything doesn't fly with most people. Sort of like being a prisoner.

Maybe more likely would to be a suburban stay at home house wife with an SUV, three kids who need to be Chauffeured, Shopping for groceries, cleaning house, making meals, balancing budgets...AND looking like the perfect woman when hubby gets home.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    Yes, Happy Days" were not that happy in reality.
    In fact, the '60s were in reaction to the strict social standards imposed in the '50s as many people had quite enough of them.

Stepford wives soccer moms!

I am a little too outgoing for that, I like to keep control of my life.

I only lose it when AMTRAK or one of the airlines force a decision.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by soccer1986 View Post
    I been thinking that it would be really fun to be a stepford wife for a girl.
    Have you seen the movie? It's the worst possible fate for a woman. They killed them and replaced them with life-like robots so they could have obedient, mindless wives who would just sit pretty, be respectful, cook, clean house, and have sex. Personally if I were a male I'd be bored to tears with a partner like that.

The movie was quite brilliant, though. Have a look at a short piece written about it:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...ira-levin.html

It's true the actresses in the movie were attractive, and they did wear clothing that a lot of CDers enjoy. I understand if you just want to emulate their looks. But, you wouldn't want to turn into one. Stepford wives can't feel, they're robots. What's the point of CDing if you can't feel it.
    Reine

@NicoleScott, the point of the Stepford Wives wasn't about "looking perfect". It was about a bunch of guys replacing real live thinking and feeling women with mindless slavish automatons. I get that our fantasies can be unusual and may not be nearly as nice in reality as they are in our imagination, but I still find it quite disturbing that someone would fantasize about being replaced by a machine that has no will of its own.

Ira Levin was brilliantly shining a light on sexism and misogyny. It wasn't about looks and clothes.

Aspiring Member
    I see this as like the ultimate male chauvinist fantasy. To put a woman in her "place" so to speak. From the kitchen to the bedroom. Now, I'm not one of these folks who wants to totally destroy gender roles either. I believe there are male and female roles in society. They are there for certain reasons and I believe society works better because they exist. If they were not, I don't personally see any reason to CD.

I just want to play around on the other side. It's the rigidity of The Stepford model that I can't get to. If I were really female I'd definitely be challenging these roles. Like a woman making it in a man's world.

Dianne S, looking perfect was not the main point of the movie, but certainly an important aspect. I think that the point of the OP is the fantasy, and less about the movie itself. The movie wouldn't have worked as well if the women had not been perfect looking. Let's remember: it's just a movie, and it's just a fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Danitgirl1 View Post
    I think those that think the 1950s was idyllic are projecting what they want their female partners to be to their male selves. Put yourself (truly) in that position and you may have a different idea. No finances that are your own, few rights, lots of responsibilities, no autonomy, no freedom, no ability to escape if things get nasty.
    However, there were plenty of women quite happy to 'submit' to what I refer to as a 'benevolent dictator'; essentially, a good provider who made decisions that would ensure that his 'subjects' were happy. A huge percentage of the population are quite comfortable with the idea of having someone else make the decisions for them as long as all their needs are all fulfilled. Women especially. Sure, they occasionally will want something they don't have, but for the most part they are quite content with their lives as they are; male going off to work every day, bringing home enough money for them to live comfortably, raise children, have a nice social life. I had three aunts who were essentially housewife/homemakers who stopped working after they got married, who had married successful businessmen and were quite happy with their 'subordinate' lives until their husbands died many decades later. Not all men treated their wives badly, and in my family at least, the women had just as much input into major decisions whenever they wanted to; they just preferred to let their husbands take the responsibility for most of them. Especially in the seventies, with increased standards of living pushing wives back into the workplace due to financial demands, there were lots of women who longed for the days when they did not HAVE TO work outside the home.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    But they were robots and had no feelings- it was their husbands who had all the fun. Or aren't you talking about the movie?

Sorry, we're a bit slow over here in Yerp.
    I used to have a short attention spa

didn't the horrible remake have the twist that it was in fact the main woman (glinda clothes!)'s husband Christopher Walking (here!) was the robot and SHE the mastermind?

which adds quite the twist!

a woman behind it all!

Quote Originally Posted by Mink View Post
    a woman behind it all!
    Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but that completely ruins the message of the original and reinforces sexist stereotypes of evil powerful women that pervade science fiction and fantasy.

(I guess I'm becoming a strident feminist now that I'm transitioning and switching teams. )