Thread: In touch with myself

In touch with myself

Hey everyone!!!

I know I've been pretty inactive the past several months, I've just been very busy with living my life. I really miss being on here and I'm glad that I've been able to start posting again these past couple of days.

Anyways, I'm going to be 8 months on hormones tomorrow. And I've noticed a lot of changes occuring, and not just physical. Between actually living life now, and HRT, and probably being in a relationship too, I am starting to learn more about myself, and what makes me tick. What I like and what I don't like.

I am more aware of what makes me feel good and what makes me feel like crap.

I am overall more in touch with my emotions and am able to express them more.

I cry way more, especially since my doctor doubled my spiro two months ago.

I know that I need a regular sleep/wake cycle and regular 7-8 hours of sleep.

I know that I need structure in my life. This may be a consequence of being in a relationship more than anything else.

Regular cardio exercise is important to me too, although I now exercise normally and not excessively like I used to.

I'd rather feel than think too much. Too much thinking drains my energy, while feeling replenishes my energy. It used to be the other way around.

Before HRT, I used to be content going into a Bingo Hall, play Bingo, win something, and not so concerned if I socialize. Now, simply playing Bingo leaves me feeling really empty. I really crave socializing and actually connecting with people. I could care less if I play the game let along win it. People are more important to me now.

I used to struggle with JQuery intensely - I just couldn't do it. Now JQuery, along with front-end programming and user interface, seems to come second nature. I prefer front-end programming over back-end programming.

I need and prefer a balance between being home alone, and being out there socializing. I generally prefer socializing either one-on-one, or in small, intimate groups with close friends like at church, trans group, or AA.

I want to be seen by the whole world for who I am.

Others tell me that I appear way more relaxed and comfortable in my own skin than I used to be. Cody, who only ever knew me as a woman, but before I started on HRT, noticed that after a month on HRT that I seemed way more relaxed. This is about the same time that I came out at AA.

I am more aware of when being around certain people drains energy, and am learning to avoid them. I am more aware of when being around certain people replenishes my energy, and I am learning to hang around them.

I am learning to be more assertive than I used to be. I never was very assertive, and I have no desire to be aggressive or too assertive. But I am more assertive now than I used to be.

Before I started hormones, I just wasn't aware of what made me tick. I kinda just numbed out either by drinking, smoking, caffeine, over exercising, or thinking. Now I am much more in touch with my body and feelings and more aware of what makes me feel great and what doesn't. For the first time in my life, I am starting to feel again, I am finally feeling more connected to my body, after 34 years of being disconnected from my body. It is scary sometimes, but also freeing to know that I am human and not some robot; to actually be able to feel and understand my body better.
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

Michelle, I love your comment about finally feeling more connected to your body after 34 years of disconnection. I know that all very well. And the concept of having feelings has an all new meaning for me. While living as a male for my first 52 years, I was terrified of my emotions - they were too feminine, they were too powerful, they were unwelcome, so I built emotional brick walls around me to insulate myself from any feelings. Even though I am barely 4 weeks into HRT, I am 3 full months into self-acceptance, and the world is brand new to me. I actually relish my feelings, I indulge in them as a vital part of my true persona. I don't go on crying jags (well, not yet so far), but I love the concept of no longer actively repressing and hiding from just feeling anything. As a result, I feel alive! And now I so clearly understand why women don't understand men (and vice versa). Woman have never lived life under the sick influence of testosterone! Estrogen has ruled the day for them, and they have no clue as to how much of a behavioral difference it makes to the human brain.

Testosterone is a highly toxic poison. Thank goodness I'm off of that crap.

Karen

Happy 8-month HRT Anniversary, Michelle!

As you know, we're on about the same timetable.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).