Thread: Self image

Self image

This has been an interesting week. In a good way. I think most trans women (I certainly can't speak for all) suffer an inferiority complex when it comes to their own appearance, however slight. We are just not good enough, not pretty enough, and not feminine enough. I've never had a negative reaction to my appearance, I honestly don't know if I'm being read, and everyone just treats me as a woman. Heck, I use the lady's changing room at the gym. Still, there's that insecurity...did that person just snicker?

This week I've had two "You just made my day, my week, my month, or even my year moments".

I've had the same insurance broker for 18 years. She knows about my transition because I had to send her scans of my F drivers license and name change. I went into her office yesterday, and she was in the reception area. She turned to me and asked "What can I do for you?" I said I was there to see her. Pause..."And your are?" I said I was Paula. Another pause. "OMG, Paula, I never in a million years could have pictured you as such a beautiful woman, I'm...stunned".

Also, this week, my former Sister in Law (Wife of my late brother) to whom I was never close, stumbled upon my facebook page. Her P.M. (paraphrasing cause I'm too lazy to open my FB page)-

Dear Paula, A 'people you may know' message caused me to open your FB page. At first, it being April 1st. I thought it was a most elaborate joke. As I read it, I realized you had made some big changes.
    ..........................(the usual, it must take so much courage blah, blah)..........................................
    It is only because I knew Paul so well that I would ever have recognized you. You make a gorgeous woman! Your grace jumps right out of your photographs. I spent minutes studying each of your photos, wondering how I never noticed. You make a much better looking woman LOL.

I guess sometimes we all need a little reassurance. No question here. Just a feel good post.

Gold Member
    I love real life reactions like this. This is what I call affirming! And they are right you know.

Banned Read only
    Glad things are going well for you Paula! In my opinion, the inferiority complex is exactly why many women and especially Transwomen fail. They just can't get it out of their heads that "we are just not good enough, not pretty enough, and not feminine enough" is a bunch of crap made up in their own minds. Go out there and be you. Treat people the way you want to be treated. The rest of it will take care of itself.

You do look great and i'm glad these moments are happening for you!!!

You worked hard and earned those comments.. It's not just your visual appearance, its your nature that is shining through..

Paula, after those encounters I would imagine that the inferiority complex has been replaced with a superiority complex, at least for a couple of days!

Hugs Bria

We all need lovely comments, it's even more precious when it's genuine.

Good for you Paula

Platinum Member
    Talk about affirmations!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Aw, those are both so sweet! Makes me a little misty-eyed. Good for you, Paula!

That is so awesome Paila!! It is great to get such positive comments. It really is a boost to self esteem and validation as a woman. I am sure there are more to come.

Erin
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

I'm so happy for you Paula: )

I would call each incident a priceless gem!

Hugs,

Leah
    Be nice; It don't cost nothing.

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    It does the heart good to read these moments. So happy for you Paula, treasure them.

Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

Gold Member
    Even when someone detects us or already knows, it doesn't mean they are gonna be rude. Sometimes they are surprised how good we can look. It works in our favor.
    As time goes on and you get more positive feedback, there comes a day when you just stop questioning yourself and your looks.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

The real issue is that within our society GG's have this same sort of "inferiority complex", they feel they can never be pretty enough, skinny enough etc. So it comes with the territory.

The ones that finally get over this turn out to be feminists.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain

Once you realize how wonderfully affirming it can be to receive a compliment, doesn't it make sense to express them to others more often? I'm still working on that habit.
    ~ Kimberly

“To escape criticism do nothing, say nothing, be nothing." - Elbert Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Erin View Post
    Even when someone detects us or already knows, it doesn't mean they are gonna be rude. Sometimes they are surprised how good we can look. It works in our favor.
    As time goes on and you get more positive feedback, there comes a day when you just stop questioning yourself and your looks.
    That day cant come soon enough for me, a lot of the time I feel like Im too hard on myself Yes it does just get better and easier with time though
    I guess all one can do is keep building on successes and use that positive experience to draw on strength and confidence when things aren't so good.... My experience so far is the highs get higher and last longer but unfortunately it seems the lows can hit a lot harder and sometimes seemingly out of nowhere

To the OP congrats I love it when I hear of things going right

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberly Kael View Post
    Once you realize how wonderfully affirming it can be to receive a compliment, doesn't it make sense to express them to others more often? I'm still working on that habit.
    Yes I try to do the same with my GF's and it's always well received You cant go wrong there with other women Im finding out I always try to return them when I get them, its an "secret" girl code I think...
    Last edited by Rianna Humble; 04-04-2015 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Multiposting is posting one after another when you should have edited the earlier post to include the extra comments

So very happy for you. Two wonderful encounters of many to come.
    Hugs

Always like to hear a feel good story. They make us all feel good.
    My parents should have known something wasn't quite right when I kept putting Kens' head on Barbies' body Rachel Smith May 2017

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][SIZE="3"]Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. Dan Stanford[/SIZE][/SIZE]

I used to feel like one in a million now with this forum I feel like one OF a million

“We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” ― Joseph Campbell

Banned Read only
    i also love a good story.my mom has always told me i look better enfemm then enhomme.

Surround your self with people that "get it"...Pass on all others..