Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AA and CD

AA and CD

I've been thinking, sponsored by Taielyn's thread, about "our" compulsion, and wonder if its any different to an addiction.

The AA have a reasonably well-proven process for living substance-free, and in cases where people want to be free of "it", does it work? Has it worked?

I'm not interested at all in stopping, personally, but just idly wondering if those groups and methods might help someone who did want to "give it up". I

Anyone have any ideas or thoughts or comments on this?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    Yeah I found her thread very moving and found myself deleting a sentence which started, "Think of it a bit like cigarette smoking..." because it's a silly analogy. But I then couldn't think of a good analogy, so I rambled on about something else.

It's a good point- has anyone overcome their xd instincts by using a 12-step program?

Any members of the British royal family care to weigh-in here?
    I used to have a short attention spa

I think the biggest difference is AA is for chemical addictions that are developed after birth. I don't know "why" we crossdress, but I think it's a deeper part of us then chemical addiction.
    -Lucy

the clue i was looking at was the bits where a) the addict gives up control to "a higher power" (e.g. god), b) actions of redemption to those harmed in the process, [for those who want to stop CD-ing].

The attractor energy behind addictions, compulsions and obsessions has the same form, we're looking at when/what created them. For me, a chemical event is no different to an emotional or physical or mental defining moment, as these also involve chemistry.
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

A bit of dangerous logic comparing the two. One could make the argument that if crossdressing isn't just a compulsive addiction and is intrinsically part of us that the same is or could be true of alcoholics.
    When I die, bury me face down so the world can kiss my

I'm thinking it's like starting a 12-step program for people who are left-handed or who want to stop having blue eyes. I don't think we need a program to make us stop being what we are, we need a program to accept what we are and help society see us (and help us see ourselves) in a positive light. We need positive role models that help us understand how to handle the challenges of our daily lives and disperse the Pink Fog. But other than that, I think you're on to something...

Banned Read only
    Cross dressing is absolutely, completely and utterly different from alcoholism. There is no physical dependency for cross dressing as there is in all drug addictions. I think you are mistaking one similarity and implying 12 step solution because of it. The similarity is that in the case of drug/alcohol addiction and cross dressing, you are that for life, whether you "do" it or not.

Unfortunately, if you were to apply your hypothesis, you could 12 step your way to "cure" ADD, or OCD or even homosexuality.

My guess, is that 12 step support groups can be helpful, in overcoming anything, to a degree. i have been to many 12 step groups, but i don't think anyone is miraculously "cured" very often of anything. Terrible traumatic experiences while drinking, smoking, or cding, may spur a person to want to stop drinking, smoking, or dressing also. I tend to agree with those who say there is a genetic connection to dressing too, and maybe brain chemistry.

Yes Jennifer Jennie Countess,

I'm not advocating, I'm asking IF, in the light of people who do want to shed the behaviour.

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    I have a lifelong friend who refuses to work for a living and is absolutely addicted to AA meetings and bible study. Oh yeah, and pain killers. This is completely enabled by his wife's income. Personally, I've just focused in on the benefit of not smoking, not drinking, honest nutrition, physical health, stress reduction and emotional well being. My crossdressing falls in the plus column as being necessary for emotional balance and overall well being. Am I addicted? Sure! There is nothing out there that you can't just champion if you set your mind to it. People who state that it is out of their control, or my favorite, "It's in god's hands", are just lying to themselves to avoid the hard road of ownership.

Some people carry the water. Others gladly drink the water you've provided. And others just cry because they're thirsty and point a finger when you don't share.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Okay so my thought on this is that AA is not a cure, but rather a form of form of supportive self denial. Once you are an alcoholic, you always are and that’s why you go to support groups and have a sponsor. One little sip can put you down the path of heavy drinking again. If you apply this to cross dressing you would have a poor soul calling their sponsor late at night, crying about passing the women’s department at Macy’s and seeing a cute LBD and, and, sob sob I…..just want to try it on just, just try it on.

Well since many all ready practice denial the only thing we are missing is the meetings (hi my name is Vicky and I am a cross dresser) and the sponsors. But you know unlike the ill effects of alcoholism, I think this is a good thing and should be embraced.
    When I am still and quiet, people who do not know me think, Oh how cute she's shy.
    People who do know me think, OMG RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Girls will be boys and boys will be girls It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola

I think it goes hand in hand with addictions but maybe it is more obsessive compulsion.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I think that 12-steps programs are for people who want to get something bad out of their life. Crossdressing, being a good thing, doesn't really need such a group.

Perhaps we could start a group to help non-crossdressers give up their non-crossdressing.

"You know, sir, there's a whole new life waiting for you out there. All you have to do is put on that dress!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferathome View Post
    Cross dressing is absolutely, completely and utterly different from alcoholism.
    It's very true, especially in terms of social harm. If a AA guy falls off the wagon, the headline reads, "Local family killed by drunk driver." If a CD falls off the wagon the headline reads, "Local family mildly amused at man in dress." OK, maybe that's a little flippant -- certainly CD behavior has motivated divorces and things like that but generally the magnitude of social harm from crossdressing seems low.

and, a little off topic, AA 'recovery rates" are between 5 and 10%. Any other treatment with a 5% success rate would probably be considered somewhat of a failure.

Aspiring drama queen Isabella Ross's Avatar
    Gotta agree with Cynthia here. Why would anyone want to stop such a beautiful and enjoyable thing? Perhaps a 12 step program would be a better idea for anyone who sees being transgendered as a burden...a program that might help them see it for the joyful thing it can be...

Aspiring Member
    I'm inclined to consider cross-dressing a matter of identity rather than an addiction or compulsion. That said, the concept of emotional dependency, even that on clothing of the opposite gender, appears to be a thin common thread if it is at all.

@Jennie-CD: I was beaten, with no 12-step programme, into writing with my right hand. Guess the appeal of such programmes falls back to social perception and shame - the greatest deterrence is an unforgiving community.

I last smoked 9 months ago, and I don't feel "once a smoker always a smoker" as much as I do "once a cross-dresser, always a cross-dresser".

Platinum Member
    Hi Pam, Please don't make me quit .
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

For AA or any program to work one really must want to stop. And chang the people one hangs with.
    Angie

I suppose among the many things one could try, that would be another one to add to the list. Seems it would be la lot like purging and most of us have done that countless times.

Wether it's chemicals, clothing, shopping, sex, etc., people use or abuse them for the same reason - it's pleasurable. The point of AA is to get you to a state where you are living in peace and harmony with your fellow man and creator (higher power) and thus don't need substances to feel good. 12 step programs do work but it requires a high degree of motivation which is probably why the success rate isn't higher. It's a heck of a lot easier escape from your problems by talking a drink, smoking a joint, wearing something pretty than to ruthlessly examine your life. Of course if drinking or CDing isn't destructive than you have no need for 12 step or similar programs.

Studies have shown that a drug addiction is not chemical but emotional. If it was chemical, every one who was prescribed morphine would be hooked on heroine.
    The 12 step as some have said already, focuses on rebuilding healthy social relationships and overcoming emotional issues.
    What ever your addiction of choice, if it is driven by poor emotional coping, or causes poor emotional health, i would guess that the 12 step could give a lot of strength to any one struggling emotionally. I actually think that nothing but good could come from using any of the 12 steps to improve ones emotional state. It could also lead to lower reliance on the things that give us false happiness whatever that may be.

Cynthia, absolutely, yes, I see only good in getting men into CD-ing, embracing a much-missing feminine energy in workplaces and life generally.

Feedback so far seems like no-one's really tried it, nor wants it. Personally, I have much better methods than AA - willing to take on all-comers in such trials - but the only "therapy" i see as useful for CD is for helping SO's acclimatise and helping TG decide if they're going to transition.

Blue Orchid: I won't make anyone give up their dresses!

xxx Pamela

Banned Read only
    Pamela,
    I'm convinced that I was born like it, whatever trait was passed onto me, nothing is going to change that part !
    Secondly I know what triggered my sexual connection and that is too much a part of me, that after fifty years nothing is going to change that either !
    Our Cding may lead us to addictions and obsessions but stopping or altering them is not going to take away part of our brain that really needs whatever transvestism gives us !

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    Our Cding may lead us to addictions and obsessions but stopping or altering them is not going to take away part of our brain that really needs whatever transvestism gives us !
    I reckon this is true for lifelong CD'ers, TS's and late-bloomers, but hey what do I know, I so new to this from one perspective. I also reckon there will be folks who have had imprinting experiences that can be un-imprinted, and if the guilt-purge-urge-dress cycle is too much for them, then having a way to alleviate suffering is a good thing.

I've dug deep, life-reviewed and found a yearning deeply buried for so long, so I'm with you, this is not going away for me. I've also found experiences that dug into were not imprintings. One example: about 12 years old I liked two of my mother's tops, so she gave them to me, and I wore them until I grew out of them. She has no memory of that, but funnily enough I have a photo of her wearing one of them before she passed them on! I just managed to buy a number of similar tops, yummm, and I realised I'd been looking for these clothes in mens departments for 40 years without success! Call me a bit dumb, but the writing's been on my wall a long, long time, I just did not read it.