Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Moving further along the path, encounter with an endocrinologist

Eryn, let me be the first to congratulate you on your first year of HRT! From what I've been reading the last few days, you have a great team looking after your wellbeing and you are doing great! I just had my first anniversary and things are going just fine. Keep us posted on your progress.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    Practically, the physical structure of my body is male and my genetic makeup is XY. So, for medical purposes I'm male. Now, I have a few female things going on too, like estrogen and breasts. I'm an amalgam of both sexes and always will be. Unfortunately, "Amalgam" is not a choice on the form.
    For medical purposes you are actually closer to female than male. The genetics is frankly marginally relevant, any sex linked genetic disorders should have well and truly shown up by your age (my apologies for saying "your age") and most of the old diseases and disorders that were presumed to be "sex linked" are actually most likely associated with risk factors associated with previous gender stereotypes that are just no longer relevant in modern society. The biggest sex linked factor that a physician needs to consider with regards to disease diagnosis and treatment is your hormonal physiology which if your Endo has got it right should be principally female.

The only other obvious impact sex markers have on medical health are internal organs i.e. prostate in birth sex male individuals and uterus / ovaries in birth sex females. Even those are quite variable. Consequently the principal reason for sex markers on medical records is ACTUALLY a social one and as such you are well within your rights to mark it as female. If you need to advise a doctor of your genetic and / or anatomical variation then that is something that is in confidence between you and the doctor, not for general medical records.

In Australia once you have your letter of recognition from a registered medical practitioner then you can change your gender on your Medicare card (we have a universal health care system) and from then on any hospital and medical records will record your preferred gender identity.

I've just received my “between visits” blood work. Everything seems to be where I want it with these results:

Basic Metabolic Panel: All in the normal range
    Estradiol: 102 (down from 111)
    Prolactin: 13.8 (down from 21.8, definitely good news)
    Testosterone: 14 (up from 12, but still a trivial amount)

I'm pretty happy with these readings. My E has always seemed a bit low, but I am seeing good physical results. 100 is actually in the middle of the normal range for a GG.

I'll meet with my endo at the end of July for a regular checkup.

I'll be updating my measurement data soon and I will post it when it is ready!

Life is good!

Tracking the measurements has been interesting. I've met the endo, and she seems very competent.
    If you are a Genetic Female (Female at Birth) and would like to join us in the F.A.B. Forum, please follow the link.

F.A.B. Forum Access

It's been a while since I've posted data, so here is my measurement chart covering the last 19 months.

development chart.jpg

The curves that are probably of most interest are the red curve (bust) and the yellow curve (underbust). The difference between them determines the prominence of the bustline. I started out with a bit under 2 inches of difference and now have 4-3/4 inches. It makes a difference in appearance and I am now definitely feminine in a light sports bra.

It looks like I will top out with a 40-1/2 inch bust, and I really didn't expect to do better at my age.

Unfortunately, the only bras that I can now wear are unconstructed sports bras. Bras with a 38 band size don't come with cups smaller than a B. I am supposedly a B cup according to most fitting charts, but I get lost in my pre-HRT 38-Bs when I try one on. They worked fine with forms, but the forms don't work well with my breasts.

I've been considering BA, but I don't want large breasts and I'm not sure if I can justify the costs for a just couple more inches of bustline.

The dark red curve is my hips which have grown more than my bust. I stared off with very little, so the difference really isn't noticeable in clothes.

Unfortunately, the green curve is my waist, which is growing more than I would like. Weight is an issue with HRT and I'm not too anxious to limit my food intake while I am still developing. Eventually, the tummy has to go, though!

Eryn, your numbers are encouraging and somewhat resemble mine, especially up top. I am trying to understand your bra issue. Ditch the forms. With those numbers I would think you'd be good. That is what I did and it works out fine at 38b, but I've found 36C to be better in certain style bras. It is so nice how the spiro/estrdiol reduced muscle and my corresponding band size, which gave my budding boobies seemingly more size.

As for the waist, you have to be brutal. Ditch the sweets and drink primarily only water.

Congrats on your developing figure! :-)
    Marie

I went into the lab for a blood draw today in anticipation of visiting my endo next week. I went in early because the draw for T has to be done before 9:00AM. My experience at the lab was pleasant, with my proper name and pronouns being used. As usual I checked to make sure the proper tests were scheduled as minor mistakes have been made in the past. Everything seemed to be in order and I was in and out within 15 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    I went in early because the draw for T has to be done before 9:00AM.
    Not to sidetrack the discussion too much, but why is that? I've never been given a time restriction on blood tests for T. Is it something I should have been aware of? (Oh, God, did everyone get the memo but me? )
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Believe it or not, I'm sitting in the OB/GYN office right now waiting to have blood drawn for my visit next week. It's also almost 11 am! I never heard of the "before 9" rule either?

That's the rule with the lab I use. If they draw the blood after 9:00, they won't run a T test on it, period. Here's some insight:

https://www.trihealth.com/dailyhealt...y-Matters.aspx

Since most T tests are done on men with erectile dysfunction they want to test levels when they are highest, early in the day. It probably doesn't make a heck of a lot of difference with transpeople, but the system is designed for ED sufferers so if I want my numbers, I play their game. One time I found that my doctor hadn't entered my lab order and the 9:00AM deadline was looming. Luckily, the folks in the lab know me and since I knew what would be ordered they drew the blood before they tracked down the doctor to straighten out the order.

I received my BMP results today, all normal as usual. Still waiting on E, P, and T.

Hi Eryn,
    So is that insinuating that t levels go up while were asleep? That would certainly explain the morning problem that occasionally pops up. I thought t levels were static.
    If thats so I guess it would be best to have my test done b4 9. Maybe it would be more efficacious to take the spiro right before bed. Or even wake at 3 am and take it?
    Last edited by jentay1367; 12-22-2016 at 10:27 PM.

My test was about 11:15 this morning. Every thing is looking good to me, but I'll see what the Doc says on Tuesday.
    Here's the graphics on my 21 months on HRT. Latest are E at 160 and T at 10.
    IMG_1149.jpg
    IMG_1150.jpg
    Last edited by Heidi Stevens; 12-22-2016 at 11:41 PM.

Beautiful story Eryn, I too just saw my Endo today and while no blood was drawn it was great to meet with her and discuss the process. I'm on Spiro (3 weeks) now. I just need my therypist to sign off on starting the HRT. Hopefully at next weeks session.

Eringirl, I feel that I will be on the same boat soon as yours as my wife years ago told me she wants no part of living with another woman. But now that I am getting serious about transitioning I still need to sit down with her and have the real "talk". It sucks but I still love her deeply.

It's been really interesting seeing the changes. We'll be taking another set of measurements soon.
    If you are a Genetic Female (Female at Birth) and would like to join us in the F.A.B. Forum, please follow the link.

F.A.B. Forum Access

As promised, here are the latest measurements. They have really settled down and, unless I get another growth spurt, it seems that what I see is what I'm going to get. I'm not too disappointed considering my age.

The red curve is the bust trendline, which seems to be of the most interest. However, the apparent bust is actually the difference between the bust (red) and rib cage (yellow) trendlines. That difference has gone from 1.75 inches to nearly 5 inches, a considerable improvement that looks feminine even without forms. My old forms don't fit comfortably any longer as their backs are flat. I use add-a-size enhancers when I want a little more bust.

This is about two year's worth of data and I'm amazed that the time has gone by so quickly!

measurements 03122017 .jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jentay1367 View Post
    Hi Eryn,
    So is that insinuating that t levels go up while were asleep? That would certainly explain the morning problem that occasionally pops up. I thought t levels were static.
    If thats so I guess it would be best to have my test done b4 9. Maybe it would be more efficacious to take the spiro right before bed. Or even wake at 3 am and take it?
    Testosterone levels in humans are diurnally variable typically with peaks at around 1-3 hours before dawn probably due to FSH and LH inductions via the pineal gland which detects and assesses light. This is likely an evolutionary construct as the increased levels of testosterone slightly increase alertness and activity level in males.

Things have been going smoothly for me medically. Pills twice a day and a new patch each evening. My endo visits are mostly "nothing to report" and most of our communications are about renewing prescriptions. I can get three months at a time, but I had to change health plans and Anthem drags their feet even in trans-friendly California. The more they question, the more patients give up and that's money in the bank to them.

For whatever its worth, Anthem has turned down everything that submitted. I live in Missouri and they've made it quite clear that if I want any kind of compensation from them, a lawsuit would be my only recourse. Consequently, I'm not willing to throw good money after bad while residing in this crappy little redneck State.

After asking about a few other mature transwomen's physical development it seems that my results are probably the least of the group. Such is the luck of the draw!

Unfortunately many of us GGs also deal with development that is less than what we would like it to be. Hence the breast augmentation business is alive and well for GGs and TGs alike!

F.A.B. Forum Access

I've had smooth sailing medically. All my levels have been in the groove and my endo is happy.

My body changes pretty much ceased a year or so ago. Not as much development as I wanted, but that's to be expected when adolescence takes place at age 58

I was pleasantly surprised that my latest 3-month supply of patches and Spiro were shipped without Anthem delaying the refill. I'm not sure that they convinced that the meds are appropriate, but at least they did a good job this time.

I'm also pretty happy with Costco's mail order pharmacy. On my last refill they automatically called my endo to get the prescriptions renewed! My box of GD relief arrived right on schedule!

Eryn
    Glad things are going well for you thanks for the up dates wishing you the best
    Susie

Eryn,
    It's been 2 years since you began this thread and your hrt.
    Interestingly I'm 58 too and have my first endocrinologist appointment this coming Monday.
    I don't expect great changes it may be in the psychology in my mind I could feel better with myself.
    I thank you for this thread and id you're interested a out my journey I just open a new one here with my first endocrinologist appointment asking advuce.
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION