Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving further along the path, encounter with an endocrinologist

Moving further along the path, encounter with an endocrinologist

It's been nearly 4-1/2 years since I found the courage to explore this part of myself. Since that time I have passed many milestones. Along the way I've had many welcome supporters like my wonderful wife Mimi, my dear friend Barbara and quite a few individuals on this forum. I've learned a lot and have tried to pass some of that along with my posts. I've grown very comfortable with presenting as a woman, to the point where it feels odd for me to present as a male outside of work.

Mimi has always been my foundation and my advisor. She has always had my back and she seems to know what I'm thinking before I do.

Counseling:
    Last year Mimi suggested that I might want seek out counseling, since my gender dysphoria certainly wasn't diminishing. I was dressing more and spending much more time in girl mode. Even in boy mode I was leaking and this wasn't helped by a decision to grow my hair out. I agreed with her and we set out to find a counselor.

We asked TG friends and perused websites to find a counselor who was competent, recommended by a friend, and who was acceptable to my health plan. We finally decided on a lovely lady and I started to meet with her weekly in January.

I had never done counseling before and didn't know what to expect. The process is not much different than chatting with a bartender or hairdresser, except that my counselor was aware of my issues and knew how to gently ask very pertinent questions. She would then sit back and I'd ramble on, but in the process she helped me identify those things that were bothering me. It kind of bothered me that I wasn't really presenting any earth-shaking problems to her since being TG hadn't damaged my marriage or other relationships. To the contrary it has brought me many more friendships than I have in boy world. She said hat a lack of angst didn't concern her at all as it allowed us to concentrate better on the matter at hand.

After two months the counselor broached the subject of HRT. She knew that I wasn't ready to make a decision about it, but she suggested that I get better plugged into my health plan "just in case." Like most males I was rather neglectful of things like getting physicals, etc.

Somehow, engaging the medical machine made the possibility of HRT a lot more real to me. It had always been something I'd considered doing "someday" but suddenly "someday" could be soon. This prompted me to discuss the issue at greater length and to try and make sure that I wasn't just doing a "Me Too!" with my friends who were on the path. It slowly became apparent that this path was the correct one for me. I asked my counselor if we could review the process that led to the decision and she said "The decision has always been made, we just had to figure out what it was." Pretty deep stuff, that!

Physical Exam:
    The first doctor visit (for a physical) was a bit scary. It was a new doctor (my old one retired) and I chose a young female internist with about five years in practice. I had decided that I wouldn't hide being TG, so the Jockey shorts stayed in the drawer, the polish remained on my toes, and I wore my normal male/andro weekend clothes. The doctor was busy so I had to get with the program. I screwed up my courage and I said that I had come to her because I was dealing with transgender issues. She said "I kinda figured that out!" in a friendly manner. She ordered normal blood work, spotted a mole on my back that needed the attention of a dermatologist, and told me I was 2 years overdue for a colonoscopy.

Having already paid the price of walking into a doctor's office I brought up the issue of a referral to an endocrinologist so I could discuss hormone therapy. She said "Sure, I can do that!" and typed away at her computer. I gave her the name of the endo that Barbara had been using and with whom she was happy. We chatted for very short time (they keep those doctors moving!) and she said that she had a lot more questions she'd like to ask but it would have to wait. I did get to do a bit of education but I didn't expect her to be really up to speed since mainstream doctors don't see a lot of us.

A few days passed, and the referrals arrive in the mail. Dermo, Gastro, and yes, Endo! Unfortunately the Endo referral was not to the doctor that I wanted. Luckily there is a number that you can call on the letter so I managed to get the doctor changed. I called her office and made an appointment.

In the meantime my blood work came back. Everything was in the good range except one number that was off by a tenth of a point. Darn! The doc says that it is probably just an anomaly and we'll repeat the test in a couple of weeks.

The Endocrinologist:
    (Everything from here on took place today!)
    So, time went by and the date of my endo appointment arrived. I had planned to see her in andro mode as I had the internist, but as I was changing something drew me to a long skirt. I went with my instinct and dressed fully in a casual skirt, nice T-shirt, and low wedges. Forms in place and makeup on, I headed out!

The endo's office was in the aptly-named Women's Health Center. I walked in about 20 minutes early, checked in, and sat down to wait. I wasn't even given any busywork on a clipboard! After just a couple of minutes the health assistant ushered me in, weighed me (I'm 2 pounds heavier with forms!), took my blood pressure (A bit high, I wonder why!) and left me to wait in the exam room.

The endo came in, a pretty young woman with an East Asian appearance. She got right down to business, asking me what name I preferred to use. We discussed the hormone regimen that she suggests for TG people. We discussed side effects, both good and bad. We talked about the process of titrating the dose up to a reasonable level to minimize the dangers. She was very frank about what would not happen. No instaboobs, no change of voice, and no freebie beard removal. She stopped, looked at me, and said "Your face looks really good, what did you do? I told her several years of facial electrolysis. She said that was the best thing I could have done! Ironically, two of the side effects of HRT were actually good for me, shrinking of the prostate and lowering of blood pressure!

She gave me a very quick physical examination, and said that she was satisfied with my overall health. She needed to get baseline hormone levels and that would determine the dosages we'd discuss at out next meeting in a couple of weeks. She sent me straight down to the lab with a warning that they wouldn't want to draw blood for a T level because it was after 9AM but to tell them that she would accept it.

The phlebotomist did his magic and drew three tubes of blood. He didn't even mention the 9AM restriction so I thought that he had read the note on the lab order and that we were good. He asked me where I got my necklace and earring set as he wanted a similar one one for his wife.

I walked out with a real spring in my step and a breeze fluttering my skirt. It felt great to be presenting as I wanted and to not hide anything from anyone I had met. Everyone treated me great and I didn't see any double-takes even with my male name.

Barbara and her spouse were in the neighborhood and I had some time to kill so we had a nice lunch at Millie's Restaurant. We had a patty melt and a lovely grilled cheese sandwich which we shared. After that I headed home.

So far it has been rainbows and unicorns hasn't it? Well, the day didn't end that way.

Remember my blithely expecting the phlebotomist to carefully follow the doctor's instructions about drawing blood for a T test even though it was after 9AM? Well, I should have checked closer because the guy didn't draw the blood for that test and didn't bother to tell me about it at the time. He left a message on my home phone several hours later. that I would have to come back again. I called the lab and the operator wouldn't let me talk to him directly, instead relaying messages back and forth. The bottom line was that they didn't do as the doctor instructed and so I have to come in at the required time to get another blood draw. That message took me from a high to a low in just a few seconds. Ah well, after all that electrolysis another vein puncture doesn't bother me a bit.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Eryn
    I share many aspects of your story. I am married to a supportive wife and live as a woman except for the few days a week I have to appear in front of customers or the office. I am starting HRT in 8 days. I often see your posts and appreciate your upbeat attitude. I am happy for you mad look forward to sharing our journey!
    Suzanne

No matter what fighting your gender dysphoria is hard work and you are doing alot of hard work.

Therapy is always helpful but it can be tricky to find the right therapist, i'm glad you started off on the right track. It can be a very strange feeling to notice or feel things that should have been obvious to you for your whole life.

I hope things work out for you and your family.

Hi Eryn: Thanks for sharing, it is very helpful to me. I am somewhat similar, but different at the same time. No support of wife (as we probably all know by now), but have two therapists who have signed off and heading to an Endo hopefully in May - waiting for referral to go through - with HRT to start in June. So thanks for your info!!

bummer about having to go back again. But in the big picture, not really a big deal. Ride the high wave while you can!!

Keep us in the loop as you go along.

Erin
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlyn Michele View Post
    No matter what fighting your gender dysphoria is hard work and you are doing alot of hard work.

Therapy is always helpful but it can be tricky to find the right therapist, i'm glad you started off on the right track. It can be a very strange feeling to notice or feel things that should have been obvious to you for your whole life.
    I don't see it so much as a fight but more as a release from a prison up my own making. Being able to interact with others with no worries about maintaining an artificial image is very liberating.

I do get that "so that is what that meant!" epiphany fairly often!

Quote Originally Posted by Eringirl View Post
    bummer about having to go back again. But in the big picture, not really a big deal. Ride the high wave while you can!!
    All done now! Now I just have to wait for test results and a follow-up appointment. One cool thing about my health plan is that I can actually see my test results online.

One thing that my therapist emphasized was that this should be considered a growth process, one to be enjoyed and savored. I think that this attitude is very healthy.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Eryn,

Congratulations on your next step towards becoming the woman you really are!!! I'm really glad to hear how well things are going for you. If you need to talk, I'm here for you. I hope you can make it back to Friday night trans group sometime!!!
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Eryn
    I don't see it so much as a fight but more as a release from a prison up my own making. Being able to interact with others with no worries about maintaining an artificial image is very liberating.
    That is precisely how I felt. I'm so glad you are moving forward Eryn. I think you will find this goes smoother for you than for a lot of us. At least I hope that's the case.

The day you start HRT is likely to change your life forever in ways nothing before it ever has. I'm very glad you are pursuing this. I think you are going to do really well.

Platinum Member
    I'm very happy that you are able to take this next step and that you've got Mimi's support.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Gold Member
    Eryn, you are on your way! I see you handling things in a calm and controlled manner. You seem to be free of angst or other things I wish no one had so I think you will navigate this quite well. It seems that not too many of us did electrolysis earlier enough. Big advantage. That is one you will certainly be thankful for.

Hugs for Mimi!

Things are moving along, albeit with a minor delay. All the tests are back except for the T test so we had to reschedule my follow-up appointment. The endocrinologist is off this week so I'll see her the week after. Mimi will be able to come along which is a comfort to me.

While I understand intellectually that there is no urgency to this I still have a sense of wanting to get on with it.
    Eryn

Eryn wishing you all the best and love your attitude in this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    While I understand intellectually that there is no urgency to this I still have a sense of wanting to get on with it.
    A girl wants what she wants, and sometimes that is nothing more than to simply be. I understand.

Karen

One of the disadvantages of engaging the medical system is that every part of it wants a piece of you. my internist saw a small mole on my back so she sent me to a dermatologist. He's a likable but crotchety old fellow that I really don't feel comfortable with in female mode. Right after that I had an appointment with my therapist who I always see in female mode

I ended up dressing androgynously in t-shirt and khaki capris for the first appointment, then added forms, earrings and lipstick for the second appointment. Mimi said it was a very natural GG look. It's gratifying that I can function in public with such small feminine cues.

Oh, and the dermatologist said that the mole was nothing to worry about!

7 days to the endo appointment!
    Last edited by Eryn; 04-21-2015 at 11:45 AM.
    Eryn

The Mad Scientist
    Eryn,
    Such an exciting time. Just remember, you will do better by keeping (or trying to keep) your head.
    This is often impossible. Especially if there are kids in the house.
    Kris

Eryn
    I am anxious for you! It won't be long. I cannot believe I have on my patches and took my spiro this morning. It all seems surreal. We should enjoy the journey. Now I want to hurry up effects. I am trying to just be now instead of rushing to the next thing. Any way I am happy for you and feel close as we share a similar situation and timeline.
    Suzanne

A Red letter day! Saw my endo it was as if we were both reading from the same book. What she proposed was exactly what I had in mind! Mimi was along for support and everything was great. We picked up a couple of packages and I'm off to the races!
    Last edited by Eryn; 04-29-2015 at 02:39 AM.
    Eryn

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne F View Post
    We should enjoy the journey. Now I want to hurry up effects. I am trying to just be now instead of rushing to the next thing.
    Buckle up ladies, you are about to board the estrogen roller-coaster! Sit down and hang on for the ride.

Don't be discouraged if you don't see immediate results, but also don't ignore that forever - there are different dosages and different methods of delivery for these drugs for a reason, and for a given person, some are more effective than others.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

I've made it and love it Jennifer-GWN's Avatar
    Eryn;

So happy for you. Yep gonna be fun. Just stay happy and healthy and the rest will fall into place.

Cheers... Jennifer
    I am who I am... I'm happy...I mean truly to the bone happy...and at peace with myself for the first time ever. I'm confident and content as the woman I am.

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    Congratulations Eryn. You are beginning a new step in your journey of many steps. Enjoy the steps and accept them as they come and don't get concerned when they may not seem to come as rapidly as expected. There are no guarantees on the journey, but have faith in the end result. You are on your way.

Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

Congratulations, Eryn. You are so lucky to have such a loving, understanding SO. Not to mention health care that will cover this. All I can say is move along at a comfortable pace. Enjoy the ride!

Hugs,

Leah
    Be nice; It don't cost nothing.

Gold Member
    I would say that it is pretty red! Take a deep breath and don't imagine the changes in the morning.

I wish you the best.

You always talk about your no-fly zone. I guess HRT will do away with that.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

It's been 24 hours now and I'm happy to report that I now have a 40D bust, hourglass hips, all my body hair has fallen out, my head hair is lush and full, my voice has raised an octave and my entire world is decorated with rainbows and unicorns.

Well, no. None of those things happened. Actually, I got a little dehydrated at work and paid the price by becoming rather lightheaded for the afternoon. When they say drink a lot of water with this stuff they mean a _lot_ of water. The bathroom is starting to look good as my new office. Once I got home and got some liquids and dinner into me all is well.

Patches are a pain to use, but the trick seems to be finding a place where the skin doesn't stretch or wrinkle when I move. I hit a good spot with one patch, but the other one is a bit wrinkly. Still, the patches are the safest for my liver so I'll put up with them.

Mimi helped me take some detailed body measurements so we can document whatever changes occur.

Steffi, this experience has put some dents in my NFZ since I go to my therapist and most of the doctors en femme. I'm not planning on making any proclamation as there is little need in my life for that. If I start to see big physical changes that need might become more urgent. Time will tell and I have plenty of that.

Funny story:
    We were down in the next valley after my endo appointment and we stopped at our pharmacy on the way home at the end of the evening. It's in my NFZ but nobody else was around at that time so I went in en femme. I went to the pharmacist's counter and told the man that I was there to pick up a prescription for [Male Name]. He asked for birth date and address and I gave the correct answers. He brought out the prescription and said that I had to sign a waiver so that I could pick up someone else's prescription! I scribbled a signature, paid, and off I went! The pharmacist apparently didn't realize that I was the person for whom the prescription was intended!
    Eryn

Those patches are something else! Definitely a trick to keeping them adhered properly. Well, let's see what the next visit brings!
    If you are a Genetic Female (Female at Birth) and would like to join us in the F.A.B. Forum, please follow the link.

F.A.B. Forum Access