Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting through TSA airport security

Getting through TSA airport security

This has probably been answered here before, and while I have searched and found some discussions I've not found an answer phrased as I'm looking for it.

So a week from Sunday I'm flying within the USA and I'm thinking of carrying on a bag instead of checking one. At the same time, I'd like to take a pair of breast forms, an underwire bra, some foam hip pads, heels, and the like with me while not having to be too embarrassed going through TSA airport security. Now that I'm 60, if some guy asks me about them in a private setting I'm willing to say they are mine. But I'm still not willing to do so in public.

So what's the best way to handle the situation? Can I put them in my carry-on without too much public hassle? Would it be less of an issue to put them in a bag that I check instead? It would be great to wear everything on board (well, not the heels) but I fear that would be pushing things too much.

Any advice (or pointers to previous topics about this) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Valerie

Hi Valerie,

To answer your question about TSA. I would put them in your checked luggage for a couple of reasons.
    Each airport you visit has different ways to do the standard security measures.
    It sounds like you don't want any embarrassing moments. this is the best way since TSA does inspect the checked baggage as well.
    This also makes you go through the lines faster. As breast forms is one of the items they will question you about. Most of the time they will ask or have you dump the bag right out in front of everyone for anything they think is out of the ordinary.

As far as dressing up. Wear whatever you want. TSA doesn't care how you are dressed. I would recommend wearing tight clothing as they are far less to pick you out and do a pat down. It doesn't mean they won't do one anyways. More or less you may get a TSA agent who pats down every girl they see! It's really all about how the TSA agent feels that day about letting a person go through after all the checks.

You can put them in your carry on bag if you desire to avoid paying for checked luggage. If your carry on bag is flagged for additional screening, you have the right to request that it be done in private.

If you wear your forms and hip pads through the body scanner, you might be pulled aside for a check.

I put my breastforms in my checked baggage. When I fly out of a small airport, I always get one of those forms saying that TSA inspected the contents of my suitcase. When I fly out of a large airport, I never get one. In either case, it's no big deal since the baggage inspection isn't public. I would expect the same thing to happen with breastforms in carry-on luggage. If I were flying out of a small airport, and couldn't check my forms through, I think I'd just wear them. That way they wouldn't get dumped out for everyone to see. The probable pat-down doesn't bother me.

I remember when going through security over there for a domestic flight there was posters or an announcement saying that if you did not want to go through the X-ray machines you could be privately examined. You could ask security before the X-ray for a private screening and to explain the contents of your bag of you felt comfortable doing so.

I think forms are one of those items that some security don't bat an eyelid at and others think they may be plastic explosives

Sarah

I can't imagine you plan to put all your clothes in one bag. If I was traveling to a destination where I planned on dressing up, it would take two Sherpa's to carry all my bags,
    Live and let dress.

A TSA friend told me that a bag containing breastforms would most always be opened and inspected, whether a checked bag or carryon. Thru the X-ray scanner, the breastforms will look like plastic explosives. Anything that is questionable, will be visually checked.

Jodi

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Valerie Sparks View Post

Any advice (or pointers to previous topics about this) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Valerie
    Google "Kimberly Huddle how to fly pretty". Kim has been flying cross dressed for nearly a decade. She wrote some fairly concise instructions about how to do it. She also has blogged an enormous number of delightful stories about the good, bad, and pretty of doing it. A lot of her blog, including her "flying pretty" instructions, are on this website under the name "TxKimberly".

Read the TSA policy on transgender passengers for their rules and to assure yourself about how they treat transgender individuals, including crossdressers. It is linked on the TSA website.
    Last edited by abby054; 04-17-2015 at 03:40 AM.

Here are a couple of links based on Abby's post.

http://kimberlyhuddle.blogspot.com/2...retty.html?m=1
    http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...nder-travelers

My recommendation, travel pretty. It's a lot of fun and brings out your best!

Rhonda
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Be all the woman that you can be!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    . . . and now, On With The Show!

I have put my silicon forms in my carry on bag and did not have any problem. No questions, no extra screening.

I do wear a bra every day in boy mode & I have worn then through security. I just get a pat down where the metal piece on the strap is. A couple times the agent asked me what I was wearing, I quietly & truthfully tell them it's a bra and they say OK & onward I go. No big deal. No public display or shaming.
    Kim

"I just gotta be me"

So yesterday I decided I was going to travel wearing my bra and if showed up I was going to own it. and what happens? I was put in the pre-screened line so just a quick walk through a metal detector and I was on my way.

Tracy

Not entirely sure how people can fly en femme, I'm a nervous flyer but it's also an uncomfortable form of transport, I usually feel like taking a shower afterwards so being dressed just makes it sound like a great deal of effort

Valerie
    I am on Southwest right now flying to Boston. I am out as Suzanne but have not changed my ID yet. I showed my license with a male picture of me for the boarding pass and at the gate. No one flinched. I then went through security with my forms on with no problem. This is the easiest way in my experience. I have also went through security in male mode when working with forms in a carry on bag. This seems to always get me pulled off to the side. The first time I was a little embarrassed and shy. I learned though that when questioned or stopped to be very loud and clear and say that I am transgendered and those are breast forms. TSA quickly sent me through when I did this! If you are traveling alone and don't need to worry about being outed, go the way you would prefer. It's a brave new world!
    Suzanne

Just can't help myself! Brenda456's Avatar
    I have flown in male mode wearing a bra. The scanner picked up the metal pieces in the bra and wound up getting patted down. It really was not a big deal.

Thanks so much for all the tips.

I can't fly en femme because my wife will be dropping me off and picking me up and that's not allowed. Besides, I'm still in the closet if I think anyone I know might see me and there will be at least a dozen people from my place of work on the same flight.

I think at this point what I'll do is to wear or pack a sports bra (no metal) and put my clear gel breast enhancers in my ziplock bag with my toothpaste, lotion, and toiletries. They're not as nice as full breast forms, but they'll be out in the open that way and I don't think they'll cause as much of an issue.

I'll also closely read those links that Abby and Rhonda provided.

Thanks, everyone!

I say, "Just check the baggage", I have never had issues with that.

I have more problems with the batteries I carry.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I've flown dozens of times with my forms in my carryon bag (I feel safer about them making the trip in one piece) - and yes, they do often want to look in my bag and check them out. It's never "flagrant", they don't draw attention to it, and I've never been overly embarrassed - the more I do it, the more comfortable I am with it. Sometimes we'll even share a quick joke about it - they never act suspicious or anything - usually they will run the little explosive test, but honestly, everyone around you isn't paying attention anyway, they want to get their bag and get to their gate as much as you do. I used to travel without my forms and would stuff my bra with nylons etc, but I reached a point where it just wasn't good enough and took the plunge... will never go back to those dark ages Anyway, wish you all the best!

VS Fan

Ill answer with a funny story to help. My wife bought me a carry on recently and I usually take a toy, a slip, thigh highs , panties and some Spax but often I don't take the forms. This time I did plus the wig and makeup. I checked everything was under 3 oz etc. I usually get TSA line but this time no...so it gets stopped and opened and I am ok with that. I appear very masculine and said my wife would be joining me soon...(lie)...lol...well it was the forms they come off as liquid on the scanner. He processed them again a few other things then ran the bomb powder test....well that came up positive! lol I called my wife and said are you trying to get rid of me??? It was brand new. I got it through eventually and bought alcohol to clean the case at my destination but checked the bag on the way back....just advice

Why would they ask about such things? It is none of their business. You are not carrying illegal items or potentially threatening ones. If they open your carry on just look at them. You don't have to answer any personal questions at all.

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    When I fly, I only take a carry-on. Here's how my last flight went. I had four bras, one pair of heels and a pair of breast forms.

TSA, Las Vegas- Female inspector as the forms and heels were displayed clearly on the x ray screen, "Oh, what show do you work for, Honey? Have a nice trip!"

TSA, Wash DC- Strange disparaging looks and sneers from the moron robot as she pulled each form out and held it up and then went through some stupid pantomimed test for explosives while the line stacked up with angry flyers. I approached the supervisor on duty and lodged my complaint about the ignorant prejudiced agent and later filed a formal complaint.

Your flyer miles may vary.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Woman first, Trans second
    In my experience, the best way to get through security with breast forms and a bra is to be wearing them.
    Coming out is like discovering that you've been drowning your whole life after actually breathing air for the first time.

i flew out of PDX with no problem just wearing them , then when i left a small airport in Kansas they asked and i said i was trans and they did a quick fast discreet pat down and i was on my way.. they were professional about it

I travel about 150,000 miles a year and usally am going through an airport at least 3 times a week. 99.9% of the time i check as i always dress while in my hotel and need a bag to big for carry on. I have never had my checked bag opened by TSA and always have forms in it. I have been thru just about every airport big and small. When i do carry on a bag i will have my forms in the bag i am TSA Pre so it goes quickly. (funny story once before i was Pre i had to take my shoes off and lucky me had a hole in my sock and there for all to see was my bright red big toe). If you carry your forms in a bag you take on the plane they will open it as it will show in the xray (at least i hope they see it if not the screener is not doing their job.You can ask them to open the bag in private. Good luck with your travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Zooey View Post
    In my experience, the best way to get through security with breast forms and a bra is to be wearing them.
    I definitely agree.

I really do admire the courage of those of you that go through dressed. Probably the last thing that I'd consider doing dressed. As for the carry on that wouldn't bother me. Anyway,my hats off to you girls out there that think nothing of it.