Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scarred Legs make me so sad :(

Scarred Legs make me so sad :(

I'm not really looking for anything, I think I just need to vent.

I was pretty poor growing up. I had to work from a very early age. Then, I joined the Marine Corps. Now, own a house that I love to work on.

All this experience I'm saying was the definitive 'school of hard knocks.'

Unfortunately, my shins took the brunt of it all. I'm talking about hitch hits from a trailer, ladder rung bangs. It seems if it's below knee level, my shins have to hit it. They are so scarred up and look like they haven been through a hamburger grinder. My legs are getting a little long in the tooth, being over 50 years.

My legs do not look too bad as long as I've got black hose or stockings on.

I just want so desperately to be able to go bare legged and look as sexy as I do with stockings on. I guess it's just not in the cards for me.

Again, just venting.

Thanks for listening!

Steph

Gold Member
    I have 47 years as a Carpenter; My shins look like a war zone.
    So it is very black hose for me. Even then it can not have to much
    light in the room.
    Rader

Knee High boots? Shin high ones? Boots can be fairly sexy. I've even seen ribbon wrap around ones.

The thing is, I really only like wearing strappy sandle heels.

Boots just do nothing for me. I know some people will disagree, but I believe one of the worst fashion statements is a skirt and cowboy boots or shorts and cowboy boots.

I know there are some sexy boots, but they aren't for me.

I hear you Stephanie and Rader, now just add bowed legs like you were born on a horse and you got mine then add spider veins.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

Not even the ribbon wrap around sandals? With a bit of strategic liquid latex and makeup the beat up shins could be hidden and the ribbons would hold the thin layer of latex in place.

I used to use the stuff 20 yrs ago for Halloween and it can be blended into skin especially if you use the ribbons on sandals strategically.

It's actually kind of funny, I guess......

I am built like a linebacker.....no butt, getting a little gut from age, incredibly broad shoulder, and very muscular arms.

There is no way I could ever pass, or even come close, but the ugliness of my legs is what really bothers me.

Allison, don't get me wrong......I know there are quite a few cover ups and things I could do, and I really appreciate the tips. I am bothered because my legs aren't sexy, tan and smooth as silk.

Allisa, my legs are slightly bowed, too. So, I feel your pain there a little.
    Last edited by Shelly Preston; 04-17-2015 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Merged - Please use the multi quote button

I walked into the hen house one day and a white leghorn rooster spurred me in the shins like you wouldn't believe. He made good soup but to this day, as I look down at my scars, I wonder who got the last laugh.

Many women have the same issue and they know tricks to overcome it.
    Lots of youtube videos about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPOa6qApfKM

Banned Read only
    Just a suggestion, if your legs are causing you that much discomfort, why not go see a plastic surgeon and see how they can help you?

I'm sorry you feel sad, but it is what it is. So go ahead and wear the dark hose in winter, and maybe wear some of those long, flowey skirts in the summer. Focus on your assets (your eyes, your smile, a trim waist maybe?)

I say this because I am like you. My legs have always bruised easily. One tap and I'm black and blue for weeks. A mosquito bite turns into an ugly red rash that lasts for weeks (sometimes months) and scars. Plus, now that in my 50s, the veins are beginning to show and my skin is losing elasticity. I dare say that most women in their 50s (and certainly most in their 60s+) will say they don't have young, hot-looking legs.

And so we just deal with it. I don't feel sad, I just choose to not wear short shorts. I do wear a lot of long flowey skirts in the summer or knee-length casual skirts if I feel like not worrying about how bad my legs look. lol. Most people don't notice anyway, not at our age. And in the winter I wear either pants or skirts with black tights.
    Reine

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    ...maybe wear some of those long, flowey skirts in the summer....
    Yes, long skirts! Wonderfully feminine, don't require a severe tuck, and feel so good when you walk!

Do some research and look at other women your age when out and about. Few GGs have perfect legs and those perfect legs you see in ads and the media have the benefit of makeup artists and photoshop! A few flaws actually help your presentation so don't be too critical of a scar or two.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Banned Read only
    Stephanie, I'm handicapped. My legs have massive scarring from multiple surgeries I had during childhood. My feet turn in, my legs are bowed beyond belief. It's a miracle that I can walk on them. But I do. I promise you, mine are worse than yours. If mine were much worse, I'd drive a wheelchair.

I wear short skirts bare legged all the time. The hell with what anyone else thinks. I lived my entire life ashamed to show my legs - when I presented as a guy, I never wore shorts. Now? I don't care.

Be happy you can wear heels. I can't - no way - well not and walk. My orthopedic problems are just too serious.

Here, see for yourself:
    legs.jpg
    Sorry the picture isn't bigger - the forum limits this a lot.

I wear hose for a number of reasons, but covering up my scarred legs (the scars themselves are the least of my problems, believe you me) is not one of them. I refuse to allow people to look down on me. I simply refuse to be ashamed of something - being able to use my legs - that took extraordinary effort and suffering on my part to accomplish.
    Last edited by PaulaQ; 04-17-2015 at 03:36 AM.

Lots of awesome responses and I agree and add, just be yourself and be happy. Maxi skirts and dresses if you need to for you.
    Like Paula said, be yourself and be proud.

Breathes under water prettytoes's Avatar
    A 40 foot fall from a tree as a teenager, and the multiple surgeries that followed have left my legs badly scarred. I saw a shirt once that I really liked...it said "scars are tattoos with cooler stories"!
    Life's too short to not be enjoyed! Live each day to the fullest!

Such great support and information.

Thanks everyone for sharing your stories!

Reality Check
    Patterned pantyhose will help to cover scars and even hair if it's not too thick or too long.

As I've gotten older my skin now wants to scar whenever there's a cut or scrape. I've found tan hose help just as much as black ones.
    DonnaT

Platinum Member
    I'm not scarred up, but, my skin is very pale. I do not tan well. I just burn. Yes, there are times I wish I could just go without hose, but, alas, if I am wearing a knee length dress it's going to be hose. I'm fortunate to live in a part of western Washington where the summer highs are usually in the 70's...no sweating. I've acquired about half a dozen very nice maxi summer dress that do hit the tops of my feet. That solves the problem of pale legs showing. Summer attire also leaves the "man tan" issue of the shoulders and upper arms.

I can realte, as i have always been blue collar, in paing factory, screw factory, grave digger, window washer on ladders, sports. Shins have scars, but not super bad. it sure hurts when they get hit, though. Good thing hose hide much of your scars! PaulaQ, love those heels!!

Nothing too much that I can add except that many women have to deal with the same issues especially after childbirth.(varicose veins,spider veins etc) Reine gave great advice,

After 70+ years of banging my shins as well as just age, my legs don't look good, scars, veins, bow legged. However, since my eyes aren't as sharp as they once were, and I'm not as flexible as I once was, I can't see my legs as well so they must not look all that bad (out of sight out of mind!) ha ha. Lots of GGs my age wear pants both in casual situations and more formal ones, so pants, boots, long skirts or dark hose it is for me!

Youth is wasted on the young (end of soapbox)!

Hugs, Bria

There have been many great suggestions which I won't repeat, but I will offer this observation.

It seems to me that you feel bad about how your legs look. You listed a number of other characteristics which are not feminine, but which you seem to accept.

What you have Steph is pretty common. Unfortunate, but common. We all have some things which we wish we could change. We are prone to fixate on a small number of those at the expense of our personal happiness.

I hope that you find a way to prioritize personal happiness above concern about the appearance of your legs.

Oh, and thank you for your service in the USMC.

Best wishes
    MsVal

I sometimes use a dermablend leg and body makeup. It does help with these nicks, cuts and bruises.
    Also I sometimes will use a tanning type cream and find that the tanner your legs appear it does the defects don't show as bad.
    Megan Martin

" some guys play golf, I play girl"

Quote Originally Posted by Bria View Post
    However, since my eyes aren't as sharp as they once were,... I can't see my legs as well so they must not look all that bad (out of sight out of mind!) ha ha.
    LOL! Last night I shaved my legs for the first time since last fall. I don't usually wear my reading glasses in the shower, and I simply DID NOT see any leg hair all winter long!

My legs didn't feel much different unshaved than they feel shaved (actually when they're not shaved I don't feel a stubble), and so imagine my surprise when I put on my glasses to shave them, and discovered that my leg hair had grown to between half an inch and an inch long (I didn't actually measure, but they were very long).

I agree ... out of sight, out of mind. lol
    Reine