Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Workplace Accomodation

Gone to live my life

Workplace Accomodation

Hi all,

For any who have followed my journey on this forum for the past year and half, it has become increasingly obvious that I have meandered down the TG spectrum a little further right of CDing having moved from never dressing a year and a half ago to dressing in public on occasion, to informing friends, family and work, to now spending about 40 percent of my time as Isha. While I still hold that my male identity is just as strong as my female identity, I have reached a point where both require face time not just in my private life but my public/work life as well. As such, I have started the process of requesting workplace accommodation for one day a week at work.

Being military, dressing "en femme" while in uniform is problematic as there is a clear dress policy for men and women and as a genetic male I can only purchase "male" uniforms. The current TG policy for the Canadian military allows for those who are TS to change uniforms to the target gender but as I am not transitioning, this is not possible. However, each Friday appropriate civilian clothing (business casual) is authorized at the Headquarters and while there is still a dress regulation for men and women, the application is a bit more "grey" when it comes to the TG policy. As such, I have asked my new supervisor (I am moving jobs this summer) to start the process which would provide me accommodation to present as a woman on Fridays. There are still some hurdles to overcome administratively as there is nothing in the current TG policy that takes into account those in my situation who are "gender fluid" but, that is currently being addressed in policy rewrites. So it is likely to come to fruition.

I have been slowing discussing this with those whom I know and those who I will be working with to educate them so it will not be a big shock when I show up my first day dressed as a woman. Once accommodation is granted, then there will be an education session for all (specifically those I do not know) to educate them on what will occur each Friday and respond to any questions they might have. It is not a done deal but it does look promising .

Hugs

Isha
    Last edited by Marcelle; 04-18-2015 at 07:20 AM.

Platinum Member
    Remarkable progress for any large institution, especially one so steeped in macho traditions. But when I think of it the military has actually preceded broader society in civil rights, here In the U.S. at least, fully integrating in the late 40s. It wasn't till the mid to late 60s that the rest of society began to catch up.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Isha, good luck with jumping all of the hurdles, I'm sure the military has a nearly endless supply!

Hugs, Bria

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    You are truly a pioneer! It is inspiring!

Hats off to Canada. That is why when we have a crisis--we ask for your help.

I'm going to call it here and now for future reference: by the time you retire, you're seriously contemplating a full transition

Anyway, good to hear that your supervisor seems to be willing to accommodate this emotional need. Either way, education sessions about this subject for people not in the know are never a bad thing.

Good luck with your transition. Your description of being "gender fluid" sounds a lot like me, and I'm looking forward to watching your progress.

I'm so happy to hear that progress is being made in your situation. I hope to be in a position where I can spend that much time as my female self. Good luck and keep us posted! <3

Banned Read only
    It will be interesting to see how this works out. Usually the change in presentation is in one direction and would not be reversed. That is how most policies are written. However, this is a back and forth situation, so I guess we'll see how it goes...

DeeAnn

As always forging ahead, fighting the good fight, thank you for enlightening others to our plight in life. Good luck.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

Hi Isha,
    I've love your stories, well expect for that one incident, but you are truly inspiring. I am hoping the cogs of the military move swiftly for you and that we get some pictures of your first day en femme.
    So just out of curiosity, do you have a female uniform or tried one on just as a kick? Okay, okay, I know, not really good for the cause and generally not much difference in the styles, but I just think it would be fun.
    I eagerly await the up dates on this and as always thank you for share with us Isha.
    When I am still and quiet, people who do not know me think, Oh how cute she's shy.
    People who do know me think, OMG RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Girls will be boys and boys will be girls It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola

0 to trans in 60 seconds! Donnagirl's Avatar
    Isha,

Outstanding... Truly a trailblazer. Looking forward to hear how things work out...

Hugs,

Donna
    Call me Donna, please

Congratulations! I only hope that the USA military will soon adopt a similar policy.

Isha, you never cease to amaze me ... never.

Best wishes
    MsVal

Good luck Isha, I hope you can get it all sorted out.

Hugs

Michelle

I wish you the best of luck and please keep us posted.
    do not label me for i am unique

Fantastic Isha! You may not be a Rosa Parks or Jackie Robinson, but your efforts will be appreciated by those who follow in your steps. I'm so happy for you.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

All the best trail blazing for the future.
    Hugs

Congrates Isha. As a retired Mber (21yrs RCEME) I know how hard getting things done or changed can be in the CF. Keep going the changes when they come will benefit A lot of other people as well.
    You are definitely a ground breaker.

Hugs Brenda

Wow, Isha! You truly are a trailblazer. I hope accommodations for genderfluid people become more widespread. I'm sure they will over time. I know a number of younger people who fit under that umbrella.

Well you go girl.
    Angie

And who doesn't want to be a poster girl...?

Seriously, you are making great progress for ANY institution - but particularly one that must be so macho - and addressing a very difficult middle-ground for TG part timers... I wouldn't want to have to try to write policy for Friday being 'dress Dawn' day... May your progress with the institution continue positively!

And I don't suppose you'll ever need to grow a beard for spec ops again...??

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Banned Read only
    Isha,
    I will add my own congratulations and thank you for being able to make a positive step with the military ! It can't be easy for you and equally for them, making changes to their basic thinking to accommodate minorities ! I hope your change of job isn't a detrimental one because of your gender bending crusade !

There is also another issue that arises , Isha, maybe you'll agree but the rapid turn round in your well being since joining the forum is almost all attributed to your accepting and understanding wife !
    I may not be the crusading type like you but things could be so different if you hadn't been able to come to terms with your CDing, if you'd had an unaccepting, disapproving partner ! You believe what CDing means to you now , your brain isn't telling you that what you feel is wrong, it's something you have come to terms with and combined it within your life, making you happier and contented person and your wife is fully supportive which brings her happiness too !
    It's wonderful to see this but sadly it doesn't happen for all of us ! I'm still working on wanting to be more open to achieve some contentment and happiness !

Gone to live my life
    Hi all,

Thanks very much for all your kind comments and support. As I indicated . . . the battle is not over yet as there are still quite a few "WTF . . . why does he have to do this" naysayers in the decision making chain. However, non-discrimination policy is on my side so we will see. Keeping my fingers crossed though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zylia View Post
    I'm going to call it here and now for future reference: by the time you retire, you're seriously contemplating a full transition
    LOL . . . what odds are your giving on this one Zylia

Quote Originally Posted by flatlander_48 View Post
    It will be interesting to see how this works out. Usually the change in presentation is in one direction and would not be reversed. That is how most policies are written. However, this is a back and forth situation, so I guess we'll see how it goes... DeeAnn
    Hi DeeAnn,

I am currently a sitting member on the TG policy rewrite board and have been helping word policy for people who are in a "gender fluid" situation to ensure they have the same rights as an individual who is TS.

Quote Originally Posted by Katey888 View Post
    ... I wouldn't want to have to try to write policy for Friday being 'dress Dawn' day... ... I don't suppose you'll ever need to grow a beard for spec ops again...??
    Hi Katey,

Dress Dawn Days (LOL . . . love it). Beard . . . hmm . . . while about a year ago it would have been easy peasy as I could grow a beard in about two weeks. Now with laser beard removal the best I could ever proffer up would be a patchy goatee

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    ... Isha, maybe you'll agree but the rapid turn round in your well being since joining the forum is almost all attributed to your accepting and understanding wife !
    I may not be the crusading type like you but things could be so different if you hadn't been able to come to terms with your CDing, if you'd had an unaccepting, disapproving partner
    Hi Teresa,

Nope, not moving jobs because of my TG issues (current load station is very supportive). Am moving because my parent occupation has requested I return to the fold in order to head up a section where my expertise/education is required. Besides I am getting a bit old for all that "daring do" stuff. Kid doesn't heal like she used too

Hugs all and I'll keep you informed as things progress (or don't).

Isha

I think we should exchange names! You are the brave Devorah and I am the timid Isha!