Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Estradiol patch question

Estradiol patch question

I have been taking estradiol orally for almost 3 years. I am thinking of asking my Dr. About switching to patches. I'm wondering about dosages and if some brands work better than others. Ani input will be helpful.
    Thanks

I use Estradot and they fine. Dosages depend on absoption. I wear mine on my love handles.

I use Estradot. Your Endo will know the proper dosage to correspond to your oral dose. I've never had anything remarkable, good, or bad, with them. I've been told they're easier on the liver.

I've made it and love it Jennifer-GWN's Avatar
    Diana; tried patches for a short time but didn't feel they attached sufficiently for absorption and given it the time time I was flabbier and sweat a lot leading to more showers I quickly switched to injections.

Just my perspective.

Cheers... Jennifer
    I am who I am... I'm happy...I mean truly to the bone happy...and at peace with myself for the first time ever. I'm confident and content as the woman I am.

Untitled
    I have been on patches from day one, as Paula has said, there is nothing to go through the liver. I believe that the equivalent dose with a patch will be lower than either oral or injection, again simply because the E doesn't pass through the liver.

A number of members have said in the past they have had issues with adhesion, but speak to your Endo, they are in the best place to guide you through a change of delivery.
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

I forgot to ask my Endo, does anyone know if you can wear medical/sports tape over the patches to keep them on?

The general rule is patches if you are around 40 and oral if you are under 40. Research has shown there are fewer problems with blood clots which are more common in those over 40. Your buttocks and lower abdomen are the recommended application locations per the instructions. Areas where there is a lot of subcutaneous fat is best. The instructions say do not apply directly to breasts. The trick is to apply the patch in an area where a patch edge does not get too much friction. I've had the most success with a patch in the middle of my butt cheek. My underwear totally covers the patch and none of the patch peeks out. This helps to hold it in place. With only a few exceptions, mine have stayed on for 7 days including taking long, hot showers.

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    I started on patches,but they never got my E above 43, just a high male level. Dr. switched to pills, sublingually. He felt this method lowered the amount passing through liver and posed no more risk than injections. Levels have been perfect.

Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

Lindsey,
    I use a paper tape occasionally, if I am going to do any yard work, and then leave it on until time to change the patch. Down here, you know the humidity and heat can get intense, and does release the adhesive, sometimes. I never asked my endo or my gyno about that, but it is a valid question. If you do ask yours, before the end of the year, could you let my know the answer? At this point, ignorance is bliss, and I'm the happiest I have ever been.

Bobbi

I wear two patches a day for a week, hope to inject soon, to help them adhere I use Benzoin Compound it is a liquid that is very sticky I apply to the skin first then the patch and then put over the patch, I have not had any issues with the patches coming off, I went to my pharmacy they ordered it and keep extra there I buy two bottles at a time,

Sure thing Bobbi. I sent a message to my Endo asking about a bunch of stuff and the assistant replied back that they will get in contact with me shortly to discuss all the details, after my endo has reviewed my lab results. I'll let you know what she says about keeping the patches on.

Quote Originally Posted by Diana L View Post
    I have been taking estradiol orally for almost 3 years. I am thinking of asking my Dr. About switching to patches. I'm wondering about dosages and if some brands work better than others. Ani input will be helpful.
    Thanks
    Discussion of dosages has been forbidden on the forum. You will find some general information here: http://www.transgendercare.com/medic...s/tmf_program/

In short, transdermal administration is much more efficient than oral administration so the numbers will be smaller.

Going to the doctor isn't a test. You are allowed to take a cheat-sheet of the questions you need to ask!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I always used waterproof tape, overlapping, to hinder the entry of water while in the shower and generally to be sure that the (pesky) things stick all week long. And there was small seemingly perpetual clumps of glue gunk always surrounding them. Luckily, a friend of mine was doing her E via injections and taught me how she goes about it. Easy peasy. I was thereafter granted a prescription for injectable estradiol, and find that I actually look forward to my weekly injection, sure that my entire dosage of E is making it into my body, as it should be.
    ​​ღϠ₡ღ✻ Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡✻ ღϠ₡ღ✻

No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent
    Eleanor Roosevelt

​​​ღϠ₡ღ✻ Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡✻ ღϠ₡ღ✻

I would suggest against using any sort of adhesive actually between the patch and your skin. The delivery studies are based on direct contact between the skin and the delivery surface of the patch, anything in between the two is likely to alter absorption. How significant this effect is going to be is going to be dependent on a wide variety of variables.

With oral, I was concerned about both the damage to the liver by metabolization as well as the highly differentiated levels of functional doses due to the highly varied liver metabolic rates between people, and I had heard about troubles (with adhesive failing prematurely and also with removing the goo from the skin), not to mention the high costs, of patches. I, like Jennifer, opted for intra-muscular injections of estradiol valerate. I am not needle-phobic, so this approach doesn't bother me. It's actually quite easy to do, pretty much painless when you do it right, and I only need to do it once per week (Sunday mornings -- I LOVE Sundays!).

I did learn that the commercial version of estradiol valerate was difficult to work with as it is in a castor oil base, which is quite viscous, at least for the narrow injection needles. I found a US-based, licensed compound pharmacy who mixes their own EV using cottonseed oil, so it is much less viscous and so much easier to both draw into the syringe and inject. Love it.

Karen

Again just make sure you are doing it with direction preferably of an Endo or at least a pretty experienced GP.

One of the reasons for the high viscosity is because GENERALLY the higher viscosity carriers will have a slower release (particularly for something like Estradiol where you don't want to fiddle with the salt too much). It's possibly worthwhile if you haven't already done so to get your E levels done at 24 hours post injection and Just before your next injection just to see how much variability there is and check with your Endo if that is within reasonable targets.

And just be aware cotton seed and corn oil have MUCH high contamination rates so be really careful with your prep of BOTH the bottle and injection site. Check with your Endo but I would suggest swabbing the injection port on the bottle with Chlorhex or alcohol before and after withdrawing a dose (a step often forgotten) to minimise contamination.

I us Dial soap the gold bar to wash the area ware the patch is to be attached. The soap removes a lot of body oil and moisturizes from the area. I use the same soap before applying my self adhering breast forms.

I use a generic brand and it's working fine so far. I also work outside in the Florida Keys and it stays on fine without help.
    I know enough to know I don't know enough.

Peace

I've just started on Alvogen weekly patches as well and I'm on my third set. Adhesion hasn't been an issue, but my main problem is finding an application site that doesn't stretch or wrinkle as I move. I've tried rear and tummy as those are the suggested sites. On my rear the patches get pretty beat-up by the end of the week.

My other issue is that the sticky adhesive (which also contains the medication) oozes from the edges of the patch and gets onto my clothing. I end up with my panties stuck to the patch and I have to carefully peel the cloth away from the patch so as not to dislodge it. The adhesive is very tenacious and remained embedded in the cloth even through machine washing.

My interim solution is to put a circle of plastic wrap over the patch and let the oozing adhesive hold the wrap on. Not attractive, but it did keep my panties from sticking. I make sure that the plastic is at least a half inch beyond the edge of the patch so that it won't fold under if the patch lifts a bit.

I've also seen it suggested on hysterectomy forums that powder is a solution to oozing edges, but I haven't tried this. My endo is adjusting my levels and I don't want to mess things up by losing a patch. Right now I'm trying patches on my tummy and they seem to be doing OK, though I understand that absorption is about 10-15% better on the rear.

I'm thinking of trying twice-weekly patches at my next appointment as I'm leery of my ability to keep a patches in place for an entire week during the hot summer. Twice-weekly patches are also physically smaller than my current 25cm^2 patches and probably wouldn't be as susceptible to wrinkling and lifting.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Mine stay on fine, and do ooze a bit. They don't stick to my panties, but they do leave a yucky outline that is really hard to remove. I'm NOT kidding- On really sweaty days, I've stuck a piece of duct tape (usually black) over it. I work in places there's a roll of duct tape every ten feet. Tres elegant.

I do injection also, and I also get my estradiol from a compounding pharmacy in the Northwest.

Ah yes, duct tape! That seems to fix everything. If we did not have duct tape we would have to go back to chewing gum and bailing wire.
    John (Legal name)

Preferred pronouns: he, his, him

I used Climara patches for two months--and hope to again. I applied the patch to the area just around the corner from my hip bone, near the top of my rather ample butt, switching sides each week. This spot seemed to be the least subject to rubbing or flexing, while still fitting the placement criteria.

A patch loosened once on a very humid day and almost fall off, but when I carefully pressed it back in place it stuck pretty well--as long as I was careful in the shower and when I put my panties on. I completely lost only one, through my own clumsiness, and had to apply a fresh one. I found the gumminess around the edges unappealing, but not particularly bothersome. It seems to me that broad paper surgical tape would solve both problems, loosening and staining, although in my brief time on the patch I never had to resort to it.

By the way, it was glorious to be on the stuff, and it was the saddest day of my life when I had to stop.

Does anyone here know what medium is used to carry the Estradiol through the skin?

Lallie
    Time for a change.

Does anyone here know what medium is used to carry the Estradiol through the skin?

Lallie
    Do a Google search on "Climara prescribing information" and you'll get plenty of data.
    Eryn

Doctors usually look at the blood work to determine when to switch from oral to patch or injections. They look at prolactin levels which are a good indicator of how much estrogen is actually getting to you bloodstream and being metabolized. They also look for signs of liver and kidney issues. Switching delivery means that they have to be more watchful of clots.

It's always a good idea to discuss options with your doctor, including alternative delivery methods, but they should be in the context of discussion options, rather than trying to tell your doctor what you want.
    Facebook - Debbie Lawrence
    Web - [URL="http://www.debbieballard.org"]DebbieBallard.org{/URL]
    See also:
    Open4Success

I always put some water proof tape over my Climara patches just in case. I have yet to have one come off so far.