Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why has Facebook become so horrible

yeah, not being on facebook keeps you from having web sites follow your every move and send you suggestions about your browsing history and keeps you totally anonymous. You don't think all the gleaning FB does isn't being done on any other site or server you ever use?
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

I deleted facebook myself, I thought everything would be easier when I was making conscious communication with each person I talked to, and wasn't a ''research project.''

Platinum Member
    Hi Vicki, FB has so many tentecials that can hook so mamy things together.

My Profile has a notice, (((I'M NOT ON FACEBOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)))
    Last edited by BLUE ORCHID; 04-24-2015 at 08:25 PM.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

I dunno, I think FB would be way better if they went purely chronological with all the posts. I see way too much of the same thing. Either that or all my friends are barflys/bartenders...

I am convinced, that anything that gets too big, gets corrupted, whether government, political parties, churches, banks, sports, or FB. Big, usually means corrupted.

Pirate Queen wannabe Maria Blackwood's Avatar
    It can affect you even if you don't join. Witness stories about potential employers asking where your Facebook profile is, and then refusing to believe you if you say you don't have one. Some employers were asking prospective employees for the *passwords* to the candidate's social media accounts.

I really thought the internet would be a good thing, with places like this that have helped me understand myself a bit. Also, shopping.

But the crazies are taking over and the sociopaths are using it as a weapon. I would never say anything under my real name anywhere online. One false word, or just someone taking offense at something innocuous to a functional adult, and you're on the news, getting fired from your job, and a million people who never met you basically consider you worse than Hitler. It's madness.
    Last edited by Maria Blackwood; 04-25-2015 at 02:35 AM.

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    I don't know whether or not the recent disputes on your Fb page have impacted your job search. It's possible I suppose. But these days most mainstream companies in California are legally obliged to uphold the rights of LGBT employees. It would seem to follow that they can't discriminate against them in job interviews either, but from now on if you are going to a job interview, would it be an idea to make a call to the HR dept to ask about LGBT company policy regarding interviewees? You could have a friend call from their own number if you're concerned about flagging yourself beforehand!

As for your involvement with Fb...let's just say that I never joined and I'm happy about that.
    I used to have a short attention spa

Reality Check
    If Facebook is causing you problems, you are not being careful of what you post. I mentioned before, it has helped me to reconnect with old lost friends and acquaintances. That wouldn't have happened without Facebook. It also lets me easily keep in contact with family members, close and not so close.

I don't put anything on Facebook that I wouldn't want anyone to know about, certainly nothing about crossdressing.

Some of my Facebook friends do put some pretty stupid stuff on Facebook. Some post photos of what they had for dinner, some post all the drama in their lives. I just ignore this crap and in some cases, ignore them altogether.

All in all for me, it's a plus.
    Last edited by Krisi; 04-27-2015 at 08:31 AM.

Surround yourself with people that "get it"...Keep it under control and it can be a great way of communicating with true friends. I do a lot of "sharing" from T world media and all my open minded friends enjoy the education of our world and issues.

T-Girl and here to stay!! Rosaliy Lynne's Avatar
    I know what you mean, Vicki. For the job thing, in fairness it is not facebook per se but all social media. potential employers use your social media presence, or lack of one, to profile you before they even bother to read your resume. It appears that your social media 'footprint' is more important to them than your listed qualifications or anything you say on your resume.

As for the spate of 'hate bills' pending in state and federal venues, is using peoples fears of things and people who are 'outside the norm' to exercise discrimination. Fact is, MEN, and not dressed as women either, have already gone into the women's restroom and raped women there. Cross dressers and trans genders are used as a scapegoat for this but the truth is it is all real problems are not caused by any of us using the restroom. When I wrote to my local politicians, Governor on down, I told them flat out that, as a transgender, I never once, in over 8 years, have entered the appropriate restroom for any sexual purpose nor have I been approached or accosted by any such persons. BTW the state assembly defeated our 'bathroom bill' thankfully.

If you enjoy your fb account - keep it but be selective about what you show and/or allow on your page. As for deleting the account, IF that is keeping you unemployed, deleting the account is unlikely to change that. In fact, prospective employers seeing that you deleted your account MIGHT decide, however wrong that might be, that YOU have something to hide and reject your application anyway. Case of damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I wish you like in finding employment though because it is rough out there to find work anymore which is ONE of the reasons I retired at 64 instead of 65.
    Rosaliy Lynne
    We are who we are. We become what we must.
    http://rosaliylynne.com/

I have an FB account because my son uses it a lot and it's easier for us to keep in touch with him. I also set up an account with the identity I use here but rarely use it though they keep suggesting friends that are from India. If I were you I would delete your account, I think we were able to live without it before it existed and could continue to do so. I feel they want way too much personal info and who knows what happens to it. Hugs Jaymee
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

Have never had a Facebook account and never will. No desire. I thought it was lunacy when I first heard about it.

I ended up on Facebook as a way of staying in touch with my family. That is the only way I can find out what my nieces and nephews are doing. I very seldom post anything about myself. I have found it a place to stay in touch with my hometown and my adopted hometown that I had to move away from. It also helps to find out what is going on in the neighborhood as we have a closed group for the neighborhood. I also find it a place to keep up on info about various subjects and just plain entertainment. Depending on how you use it,it can be good or bad.

Aspiring Member
    The same lesson that I learned my first day in the Army applies to my presence on Facebook: If I keep my mouth shut, I will stay out of trouble. They may call me a fool, but I am not going to open my mouth and remove all doubt.

And for dealing with Facebook junkies, the words of Wise King Solomon, "Answer not a fool according to his folly lest thou be like unto him."

I use FB to communicate and know what is going on with other teachers which is invaluable and use it for family and friends several times a week. When I changed my name and gender (GRS) I wrote a note for all to see and had no issues other than losing one friend out of 150. Now if not for useful communication I would be off FB in no time but it is a valuable resource over the years.
    “When it comes to life, we spin our own yarn, and where we end up is really, in fact, where we always intended to be.” ― Julia Glass

To those who think that they can delete an account and that it will go away, think again! There are data aggregators who archive all FB accounts against that eventuality. Considering FB's swiss-cheese security they likely even have data you've marked "private." Anyone, such as prospective employers, who wants that deleted information only has to get it from a background search firm.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I enjoy using Facebook, but that's probably because I use it on my own terms.. which applies for both my boy and girl account. I'm sure Mark Zuckerberg can use his algorithms to figure out that I'm a CD, but I noticed that as long as you don't have overlapping contacts and use different browsers.. I'm not in too much trouble.

I post what I want. If my contacts/friends/family post stuff that annoy me, I unfollow or unfriend them.

And I use Facebook to stay in touch with friends, not to get sucked into political/social discussions that usually have no end/conclusions.

Been using Facebook since 2007 like this.. and still enjoying it.
    │ Fashion and science geek!

│ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nat.crys.5

│ My blog: http://natcrys.blogspot.com/

Yes! Farcebook is to be avoided, Period.

M.

Reality Check
    Some of you sound like my late mother in law who swore that she would never allow the Internet into her home. And it never was until she died. She paid her bills by mail, got the news from TV and the newspaper, kept in touch with family with letters and the telephone. In other words, she did it the hard way. She knew little about the Internet but had decided it was a bad thing. If she had been born earlier she might have thought the same about television, radio or the telephone.

The Internet and "social media" (Facebook, etc.) are what you make them. Don't put things on the Internet that you don't want strangers to know. If you don't want people to know that you are at McDonalds, don't post it. If you don't want people to know that you dress up as a woman as a hobby, don't post it.

Anything you don't post won't cause you problems.

Facebook like a lot of things is what you make of it. If you keep your circle tight and are careful about what you post it can be a useful tool. It's very useful for communicating with my mom, cousins and aunts, who I wouldn't talk to much otherwise and especially for sharing pictures of my family with them. It also allows use it follow a few musicians and game developers, beyond those things not much else. If someone posts something offensive or posts too much junk I simply block out their messages, it's easy to do.

Vicki,

Read the agreement you agreed to with Facebook . Anything and everything you post on their website is their property. Just because you delete your account doesn't mean it is deleted. Also next to Google, Facebook has one of the strongest facial recognition software on the market. Once your picture leaves your computer it doesn't belong to you any longer .

Sorry
    Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by VickiTheGamer View Post
    FB has turned into a tool for companies to investigate you such that.
    This is the main reason why I don't have a Facebook account. The other is that too many people seem to lead "fake" lives there which is a topic I won't get started on here.

I have a Face Book Account for Annaliese and one for my male self, I use different search engine for the two never crossing the two.

Facebook was supposed to be just friends but now it's a business media tool to sell products. I deleted my account years ago.

So sorry to hear that, I have been in the same spot with fitting rooms and such. You delete and start new or continue the battle with our support and new friends list while erasing your label.
    I don't dress to impress, I dress to outdress