Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why has Facebook become so horrible

Why has Facebook become so horrible

First a little background. I am TG. I still have not come out to the public. Only a few people know about me. My SO, a very close ExGF, my doctors of course, and a very close friend from my past whom also is TG.
    I am an advocate for TG rights and when I see stuff pop up, I do try to share to help others understand the difficulties TG people have. As such, I will go on with what I have to share.---------

Facebook.....facebook, I remember when I was first on it. It was so wonderful finding old friends and getting into chats about anything. Wonderful learning experiences, sharing ideas, heated discussion, banter, or something happy or silly.

Now, I don't want to be there. Not because I don't like the discussions, In many cases I do but, FB has turned into a tool for companies to investigate you such that, it may even hold you from getting a job (I have been out of work now since 01/2014). I have no idea if FB is part of why, but after my recent experience, I am even afraid to go on to it.

I have learned the hard way how much FB can influence peoples lives when job hunting. It's so horrible. It's like, wtf. Facebook WAS such a wonderful place to say things that were on your mind. A place where, you can share, learn, and converse. If you agreed with something that was anti government, so be it. Nothing says your going to do something about it. Especially if you never have in the first place. To the world, it should be a place to just be yourself without repercussions. Nope, not any more.

I have not canceled my account, but I am in turmoil in trying to decide if I will. Here is that which made me decide to at least avoid it - -
    A heated discussion that took place regarding TG people and the use of the Restroom. I let folks know, I was for it. That I felt if a person needs to use the restroom, they should be able to without the fear of harassment or possibly being arrested for some kind of sex crime. Family Restrooms and single locking ones were chatted about but there is still the issue of Mens and Womens where you don't have those options.
    I was battered back and forth by a women saying the TG community should not be permitted to use the restroom. Their end argument was the idea that a male (CD and TG whom chose not to get surgery) dressing up and using the women's restroom is just another way for men to get at a women to Rape and Attack them. Then I was accused of being a person ADVOCATING Rape and Violence Against Women! Even though I let people know I am NOT advocating ANYTHING of the sort, I was targeted and suddenly labeled as such. No matter how I tried to defend myself, just the fact that I still felt the TG community should be permitted to use the restroom was enough for them to keep at it. None of my "friends" stepped in to help defend me. In the end, I felt like I could not win. I now seemed to have a reputation for being an advocate for violent crimes against women.
    Since that day, I have not gone back into FB.

Should I delete the account? Do you all think that would erase my newly gained Reputation that could now, quite easily be stored in who knows how many "Personality Profile" collectors are out there?

Facebook is constantly improving it's intrusiveness.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

The minute I stop having fun on FB, I'll delete it. Who needs more grief?
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Pantyhose for everyone! Jennifer_Ph's Avatar
    I have been BookFace free for over a month. No particular reason other than I was just getting tired of it... it became more like work and less like fun.
    xxoo
    Jennifer

I don't know as I have never had a facebook page ever!

Aspiring Member
    I use Facebook and have actually commented on one fashion page (oddly liked by genetic males who do not cross-dress). There are photos of me cross-dressed for events that specifically called for me to do so, however. I'm not entirely sure how it'll affect me in the near future but I'm not worried. Otherwise, I usually tread with caution and refrain from posting insensitively on sensitive issues.

I threaten to delete my account every few days, but someday I will get enough and finally do it.

It has become a controversial place to post anything, people are just really inconsiderate of others, and those posting on there feel bullet proof at their keyboards spreading hate and discontent.

I am fairly quick to remove folks from my friends list if they post anything hateful or discriminatory.
    Last edited by Lauri K; 04-24-2015 at 07:17 AM.

I deleted my Facebook account several years ago after learning how intrusive it is, following your browsing history, selecting ads for you, etc. No regrets. Now I have one less way to eat up time on the computer and more time for real life.

All these are reasons why I do not have a FB account.
    Kim

"I just gotta be me"

Reality Check
    "Why has Facebook become so horrible"

Facebook hasn't changed but is has become a place where people can express opinions that they should really keep to themselves. I used to play music professionally and Facebook has reconnected me with friends from fifty years ago. That's the good part. The bad part is, some of these friends have some pretty strong political or social opinions and they repost some pretty strong stuff. I have to sit on my hands to avoid responding and fanning the flames.

Facebook is like your TV and even this forum. You can simply turn it off if you don't like what you see or hear.

Pirate Queen wannabe Maria Blackwood's Avatar
    You encountered what some people call SJWs. You can Google it easily, especially what they are doing to universities. The short of it is they are people who claim to fight for social justice, but if you disagree with them on anything, even trivial matters, you hate women and support rape. They are destroying social media, and they are NOT friends of CDers. I've seen many come out and say crossdressing is transphobic. Don't even try to find sense in that. Logic is not their agenda.

facelessbook gets worse and worse with each passing month. The level of spying is only matched by google. Did you know that if you start to type something in the comment box but decide it may be too much that it has already been sent to the FB servers and believe someone is reading it. Regardless as to whether you hit that post button or not.

I'll admit that connecting with past friends and such is a plus for the site but like you stated, there are too many minuses for it to be remotely great anymore. I don't know when employers thought they had a right to use one's facebook as a background check but it scary the lengths they go to.

Personally I have never had a femme one, too much cross posting for it not to out you, but my drab one is on it's last legs as i am thinking of deleting it myself, not that it is truly ever deleted. There is a price for "free" and i am tired of paying it.
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

Reality Check
    And you cannot win the arguments. Best is to ignore the posts and even drop the people as "friends" if they go too far. A couple of old musician friends and the wife of one are on the edge of being dropped by me.

Banned Read only
    I steadfastly refuse to join any social media sites. My wife drags me to the computer sometimes to read some postings within our family. Total rubbish. I realize some may use Facebook to be able to state opinions and converse with others that are not a part of their immediate social circle. But, as you have found you become open to hostility and comments that few people would say those words to your face. Just look at the comments posted below any story on the news sites.

Then as you may have found people use Facebook or the Internet to intrude upon you when applying for a job. I figure they do it only because they can. Then again, if I was researching a potential employee and I saw the person has posted immature obscene dribble rather than presenting a clear and precise argument for or against any subject I may not hire them.

I've encountered outright bigotry for transgenders, gays and lesbians; African-Americans, Native Americans; Catholics & Jews; racially mixed marriages. Of course, they assume I must agree with them because I associate with them on some minor level. Then the shit hits the wall when they find out my white daughter is married to an African Americans. Or there are brother-in-laws, nieces and nephews who are black. Or the Native Americans. Or the Latinos. Or the Catholics. Well. they crawl in a hole and feel somewhat embarrassed about their ignorance. Of course, the relationship seems to just melt away. And, that's fine with me.

This is the only site I participate on. I recommend joining only sites with a moderator and which does not sell advertising.

I have decided I am going to stay off FB at least and only hit it one month a year. There are a few extenuating circumstances, One for example is if a person that was a close friend whom I have not heard from for years passes on, then FB is typically what I hit first to learn more. The Second is to just post pictures of something that was special or important to me about a specific friend I had that passed. She truly was someone that helps literally hundreds of people who, without her might have killed them selves. Her FB page goes on in her memory. So when I come across stuff I have that is touching, I post it.
    If any of you are wondering, the person is Meche Zavala

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Anyone who cuts off or isn't using FB is missing out on a lot contacts and info. It can be fun, educational, and inspirational. However, it is run by Big Brother puritanical fascists and their automatic, judgemental computer censors. Be aware of that.

And, learn how to walk away from your computer and to block folks on FB that cause u irritation and frustration, Vicki!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Right now Facebook is a public company. It is intrusive and anybody especially the CIA spy on us. All that you posted and all the pictures are public domain even companies look at your page when applying for a job. So for anybody transitioning and anybody wants to post their crossdress pictures, all of your lifelong friends and a plethora of others now know. Frankly it isn't anybody's business. I gave mine up a long time ago. I do have a page for my books and only do business postings there.
    Part Time Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie47 View Post
    My wife drags me to the computer sometimes to read some postings within our family. Total rubbish.
    Priceless...! And a great summary...

Call me a cynic, but FB is all about:

1) Making more money for people whose individual net worth is already more than a small Caribbean island or African country
    2) Allowing the people who give their hard earned money to the indolent and obscenely wealthy site owners to believe that their lives, thoughts and writings are infinitely more meaningful than they actually are - and can you please keep sending the money?

If I were FB's outright owner, I'd shut it down immediately as the biggest act of charity and public service I could ever do.... from the sanctity and luxury of my privately-owned Caribbean island - and I'd still have enough to keep me in margaritas for life...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

I don't know what scares me more about FB - what they know about me, or what they get wrong about me...

Platinum Member
    It seems that Facebook and the comment sections of news sources being out the worst in many social media users. I guess the relative insularity of the Internet encourages rudeness and bigotry in some people. That's another reason I don't do Facebook
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I do go on Facebook, mostly to see what my kids are up to. However, I have very few Facebook friends and I keep it that way to avoid all kinds of extraneous clutter. I'm also pretty ruthless about unfollowing annoying people, so my Facebook is relatively clean and not too upsetting.

I deleted my fb profile several years ago when they started adding/changing security settings and not telling you.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    My two kids got me on there and its good for keeping up with them. I don't comment too much on political posts.
    I don't share all that much there of my personal life.
    My femme FB page is more about fun and friends.

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    there is a magic button called unfollow....i use it anytime i see people preaching, or complaining, or any other facebook bs related to this topic.

just join myspace!