Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many CD's in the world?

How many CD's in the world?

I just wondered - having seen this and other CD sites - what percentage of men dress or would wish to dress as females. Is it less than 1%, 5% or 10% or higher. because so many of us have to stay in the closet because of the fear of upsetting family or damaging job prospects, I suppose we will never know.

I just know that , on a personal level, having a day on my own to dress up gives me a tremendous feeling of relief from the tensions of everyday life. Ii also find it exciting to go shopping.

crossdressing

I agree !!! Love having a day or two to be dressed and to enjoy all the pleasures of being dressed.

Quote Originally Posted by carol ann
    I just wondered - having seen this and other CD sites - what percentage of men dress or would wish to dress as females. Is it less than 1%, 5% or 10% or higher. because so many of us have to stay in the closet because of the fear of upsetting family or damaging job prospects, I suppose we will never know.

I just know that , on a personal level, having a day on my own to dress up gives me a tremendous feeling of relief from the tensions of everyday life. Ii also find it exciting to go shopping.
    Hi. Love..you're right...we will never know.!!..the figures vary...but I guess far more than any of us think.!!....and I share your feelings.!!!
    Love Nikki. x

How many? A lot more than anyone imagines! All data is collected by self-reporting just as for sex in general and in the final analysis no one knows except the individual. I used to imagine setting a day and a time when everyone who crossdressed for any reason would step out of their door and look around - we would have many neighbors I think!

I think we need a National Crossdressers Day. After a few years, I bet you would be surprised at just how may of us there are. I would guess somewhere around 20% just from the people that I know.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

I just get the feeling that we are pretty rare. 1% or less. Atlanta has a population of around 4 million people, yet the most CDs that show up for example at a club on the weekend is like thirty of us. Then if for example you go to yahoo and pull up CD profiles in Atlanta there are only about 200 or so.

None of that of course is a professional survey or scientific study but it makes me think we are fairly rare.

200 That have profiles, How many are still in the closet or have no profiles. I can only think about how long it was before I found this site. Before that no one would have known that I CD. So just how many of us are still behind closed doors. I bet there are more than you think.

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

I was thinking it would really be between 20 to 30 %. I do not think we are as rare as we think we are. It might be that only 1 or 2% have the nerve to come out at all. And I would bet is is down in the .5 to .75% range that has the guts to go out and about dressed.

kisses, April Marie
    no matter how much love we have, we can not feel it if we are not happy inside

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy ****, what a ride!",author unknown

Women to me are gods greatest forms of beauty and art in motion.

I have seen all sorts of statistics that vary from 1% to 10%. I just wonder where whoever publishes these numbers gets their information from...no one has ever asked me. Seems to me the only way to really find out would be to ask the question on a census form but who'd want the government to know and who'd be truthful?

I read in a recent medical journal that 50% of men try on their female partners clothes, and 10% go on to regularly crossdress. I imagine that the survey was based on doctors findings, and because of patient confidentiality no names were published.

I don't remember the number, but I asked how many people were registered on this board, I was astonished. Maybe one of the super folks that keep this place going, will jump in with the number. And this is just one of many, and the best,places on the net. JMHO, but I think there are many more than the 10% that keeps getting tossed around.

Billie Jo, there's curently 3183 registered members of this forum... and there is a substantial number of guests who visit everyday. There's a lot of us out there!
    Fulltime girl on the inside.
    Lipstick=confidence

[SIZE=4]Holly[/SIZE]

2,324,546,321. Not counting Hollywood.
    Last edited by AprilMae; 02-04-2006 at 01:04 PM.
    "My Mother wanted me to find a nice girl..so I became one."

Action crossdresser Marlena Dahlstrom's Avatar
    Richard Docter in his "Transvestites and Transsexuals" estimated the number regular crossdressers at 3-5% based on his experience studying CDs for a number of years. I've seen other figures cited that up to a third of men experiment with crossdressing at least once, although I've never seen this the original source mentioned.

But with any closeted poplation that's a guesstimate at best. There was a recent study in Sweden that put the number of all folks on the TG spectrum around 1%, but again there's questions about the methodology. I believe it was a random sample (good), but then you get into issues about how many people will admit to a stigmatized behavior.

There have been studies from non-Western cultures where the number of "third gender" folk was estimated to be around 1-2% -- but these were only those who chose to live full-time, and so captured only a portion of the TG spectrum. (I think it's likely these cultures also had what we'd consider part-time "crossdressers," although whether they act on those desires is anyone's guess.)

BTW, Lindahexi do you have a reference for the study you mentioned? I am interested in studies are less reliant on self-reported behavior -- for example looking at the percentage of male accident victims who are underdressed. Obviously that doesn't cover the full population, since not everyone underdresses every day. But it seems like that data combined with some surveys done in places like here about the extent and frequency of underdressing might be able to produce a better estimate of the population.
    Last edited by Marlena Dahlstrom; 02-04-2006 at 12:38 PM.
    Lena

A dream? What is a dream, but a blueprint for courageous action.

http://www.adahlshouse.com

OK, what do you girls consider a CDer? Does a guy who puts on his wife's frilly robe just to go to the bathroom a CD? What about a guy who does it up for Halloween, or for a school play, and never does it again? I can see those questionaires: "Have you ever worn clothes of the opposite sex?". Joe Blow thinks "well, that was that time I put on my wife's socks because my feet were cold, OK I'll say yes". Next thing you know - news flash! OMG! 37.8792% of men are crossdressers.

My definition, you have to be a CD in your head - and with that, and from the DPNFMA (Department of Pulling Numbers From My A$$) - my number is 1% or less. That is people like us, from the person who only has a fetish for one piece of clothing to out-and-abouters.
    DanaJ

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by DanaJ
    My definition, you have to be a CD in your head - and with that, and from the DPNFMA (Department of Pulling Numbers From My A$$) - my number is 1% or less. That is people like us, from the person who only has a fetish for one piece of clothing to out-and-abouters.

Dana, you crack me up

That was Bill Clinton's next line, wasn't it! Just what do you girls consider a CDer?

Marlena, the medical journal that I referred to was in the waiting room of my dentist, if it's still there the next time I visit I will take the paticulars and PM the details to you.

One-time curious dressing males would have to be thrown out of that equation. Only repetitive crossdressers should be considered.

I'd almost bet it's somewhere in the ballpark figure of 1-5% of the population.

Shannon S.
    Enjoying the art of femininity!

I imagine it to be higher then any official figures because so many remain closeted. I know of many friends who have shown some interest in female attire at some point. One often put on a skirt "to make people laugh" at parties (he did this a lot). Another seemingly always finds costumes that require tights when going to fancy dress parties - Robin Hood etc. 50% of my male friends pluck at least their uni-brow. I think many people crossdress, or do things considered reserved for the opposite sex. Either that or I just have a lot of feminine friends.
    Last edited by KateW; 02-04-2006 at 09:16 PM.
    I am only a cross dresser when I don't crossdress!

About Me: http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...595#post306595

"I don't want the world to see me, cause I don't think that they'd understand. When everything's made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am" - Goo Goo Dolls

[SIZE="3"]www.HappyDressers.com[/SIZE] - Where cross dressers go to be happy!

Trans Business Consultant

Crossdresser's National Holiday

Just in case some people aren't aware, we already have a Crossdresser's National Holiday: it's called Halloween.

Vanessa

Quote Originally Posted by KateW
    50% of my male friends pluck at least their uni-brow. :
    OMG!!!1!1 They have to be in the closet CDers! They pluck their eyebrows...
    DanaJ

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I guess it would depend on how you define "crossdresser." To me, just plucking a unibrow doesn't a crossdresser make. Neither does it mean the person who wears pantyhose to control varicose veins, or the guy who slips on his wife's slippers to run out to the mailbox.

In my opinion, a crossdresser is someone who has a "need" to dress in the clothing of the opposite sex, whether that need is sexual or emotional.

In this light, I figure that true crossdressers total well less than 5% of the population, but this is just speculation.
    “I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
    Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by DanaJ
    OMG!!!1!1 They have to be in the closet CDers! They pluck their eyebrows...
    I was just pointing out that a lot of men do things usually reserved for women (such as plucking their eyebrows). I know that this doesn't make you a crossdresser. However, as they are the same friends that wear skirts and tights, I stand by my post!
    I am only a cross dresser when I don't crossdress!

About Me: http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...595#post306595

"I don't want the world to see me, cause I don't think that they'd understand. When everything's made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am" - Goo Goo Dolls

[SIZE="3"]www.HappyDressers.com[/SIZE] - Where cross dressers go to be happy!

Its got to be more than 1 %! I mean, at points in my life, i would not even admit to myself that im a cder, and I know I dont resist the urge as well or long as others...I think those guys who are REALLY against any sort of crossdressing probly secretly lust after us, but just never will admit to themselves that they have "abnormal" desires. And they are way to macho, so the best way to convince everyone they know that they are "straight" is to loudly proclaim how much they "hate fags who dress like girls".