Thread: Grocery checkout experince

Grocery checkout experince

Many share their experiences here so I decided to share a recent one also.

I do nearly all of my shopping en femme. At the store where I often shop you do not have to sign for a charge if the amount is less than $50 which mine
    usually is. I usually use my American Express card as I get credits. This week I "guestimated" the amount and slid my card to be scanned. The total came
    to $51. I had not taken into account two greeting cards that cost about $8. When the display asked me to sign, I did.

The older checkout woman then asked to see my card to verify my signature. This posed two problems: 1) the signature had worn off; 2) my male photo is
    on the card. She was a bit confused and wanted to know who "Carroll" was (that is the name on the card). I said that I was. She then asked to see my
    photo ID. Fortunately, I have a transgendered ID with an old photo. I handed this and my driver's license to her and she then began to understand and
    gave me my receipts.

Perhaps, all of the publicity re: Bruce Jenner will help us.
    Hugs, Carole

I just always carry a wad of cash!

Great Carole you are so courageous. I salute you. I have only shopped en femme a few years ago with cash. The woman cashier was sweet, and said that I looked great. She was gushing with praise and said come back again sweetie. So I remember that with a big smile on my face. So special to have that affirmation. That was when I had a large collection of clothes and a good wig. It makes me want to try again and be so brave like you.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Stephanie

I too salute your courage! Well done!

I often wonder how much they actually check and/or care. A few days ago I was using one of my female credit cards. The SA asked for my ID and I handed her my female driver's license. But while the two first names are the same the two last names are different! She spent a few seconds looking at both and went forward with the transaction! Not baffled nor concerned in the least. I assume she merely need the eye-in-the-sky camera to see her looking.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Everything worked out well so no harm done.

Been there, done that.

Just one of those things we have to deal with.

Sounds like you handled it just fine.

Thanks for the chuckle, Carole. I have not yet shopped en femme but would like to. I feel that I need to improve my makeup application a lot before making such an excursion. Yes, I hope the Bruce Jenner interview does a lot for our community. It did make me bold enough to come out to my wife's best friend. I am widowed and she and her husband have been concerned and supportive of me since my wife's death. I mentioned in an e-mail the above interview and she mailed back with positive reactions towards Bruce. I took a chance and during a phone conversation came out to her that I like to cross dress. She asked me a lot of questions, but in the end she said she would still be as supportive of me as ever. It made me so happy.

I just take my male ID out of my female wallet and haven't had a problem. I have gotten smiles and that's it. People have been much more civilized and accepting than my wildest dreams.

When I go grocery shopping I use self checkout lanes if possible, so I do not have to deal with clerks. Also, these days I almost always shop en femme. At department stores I use cash so there is no problem.

Gone to live my life
    Hi Carole,

Thanks for sharing and it sounds like it all worked out.

Hugs

Isha

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Hi Carole, I've seen you on various forums on the internet for @30 years. You should have had her call me.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

I am another cash only guru, I needed a photo ID some years ago when I bought some spray can paint.
    I just let it go and complimented the sales assistant for thinking I was under age.
    He then handed me the paint.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

In response to Grace and others who pay with cash: on more than one occasion I have been asked for ID if returning something for which I paid cash. It has been my experience that the larger stores, at least, just take my receipt and use it to credit my account; no ID required.
    Hugs, Carole

I often go thru drive thrus en femme and have had similar experiences.

Carole, Since we've had the privilege of meeting I know how feminine your appearance is as well as your having a "womanly" voice. I can understand the clerk's confusion to be mostly that you would not easily be read as a Trans woman. I envy how much of your life you live en femme. Nancy

Carol,

I have also had to use my TG ID card in the past. I am very glad to have one that was given to me at one of my support groups. I keep it handy when I am en femme. [ although, lately I have been way too afraid to leave the house, but i'm working on it ]

hugs

niki
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hugs, msniki48
    Blog
    http://nikishomeawayfromhome.spaces....x?sa=764853634

I live in Canada where we have chip-and-PIN cards, so I'm never asked for ID in stores. The couple of times I've had to have ID (for example, picking up something at the post office) I just use my regular male ID. If anyone asks, I just say I'm transgender and leave it at that.

Never had any problems. Nevertheless, I will be extremely happy once my name change goes through (should be any day!) and I can get legit "Dianne" ID cards.

When I had mismatched name and ID, no one ever gave me a second glance. I'm not a guilty looking person.